Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I had a thought this morning, whether it would be worth chopping the A3 in now for something a leeetle bigger. It's a beautiful car, no doubt about it, lovely to drive, great performance if a little lacking in MPG over its Golf predecessor. But, reading various user posts on here I wondered if chopping it in against a C class would be a good idea. Looking at the various C/ CLK320, their extra-urban MPG figures of around 49 compare well against the A3's 2.0TDI 170PS lump, except for an extra 50 geegees and around 80 torques.

What I can't find is a 350 in my price range- I reckon £5-5.5k or so. Plenty of 320 around in that bracket.

So the question is, what is the difference between the two engines (320 & 350)? Am I right in thinking that it is just a mapping issue, or different turbo setup..?

Also, are the 7 speed ("&g-Tronic) boxes as bad as I've heard, or just need careful handling?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You will never get much more than 28-30 on the 320 112 engine and its much slower than the 350 672

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Damn, that's put paid to that idea then.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Plus cars fitted with the 272 in the UK would have to be registered well into 2007 to avoid the troubles on the early ones unless modified.

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmm, my ideas of moving to an all-MB fleet sound unwise then! I've been looking at the ML-klasse vs my X Trail, the ML270 does not compare very well against my T30; the C/ CLK/ CLCs don't compare well against the A3...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I've been looking at the ML-klasse vs my X Trail, the ML270 does not compare very well against my T30; the C/ CLK/ CLCs don't compare well against the A3..

I think you have answered your own question, personally I would buy a Mk6 Golf GTi as an A3 replacement, at least they are a little more fun

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(You bully you! ;) )

They are, but I was after something a little bigger than the medium hatchback size- I've been running Golf/ A3 now for 11 years and with a family they're a bit (not much, but noticeably) on the small side. I was hoping for a C/ CLK, but just can't find anything that approaches the running costs. Might look at the A4/ A5 instead.

What really surprises me though is how poorly a premium SUV like the ML-klasse compares against a mid range Japanese offering. OK so the X Trail is a bit rattly (well, a lot) but in terms of cabin size, comfort, towing capacity, fuel efficiency, the X Trail has it beat. Shame really.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(You bully you! ;) ).

Hahahahahaha

They are, but I was after something a little bigger than the medium hatchback size- I've been running Golf/ A3 now for 11 years and with a family they're a bit (not much, but noticeably) on the small side. I was hoping for a C/ CLK, but just can't find anything that approaches the running costs. Might look at the A4/ A5 instead..

Bend the budget for a W204 C220Cdi sport estate

What really surprises me though is how poorly a premium SUV like the ML-klasse compares against a mid range Japanese offering. OK so the X Trail is a bit rattly (well, a lot) but in terms of cabin size, comfort, towing capacity, fuel efficiency, the X Trail has it beat. Shame really.

A friend has just bought a Honda CR-V, I was very impressed. It is very clever inside and spacious.

I think the early M is not great, the later ones were considerably better and a mates wife had the Grand Edition and it was lovely, a massive step forward you just had to bite the £500 road tax on a 300CDi!!!!

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, that's just it really. I don't need an estate- we have the X Trail which covers the big family car/ shopping-panzer/ towing vehicle/ rubbish-tip-wagen/ 4 x 4 categories. We live a little in the sticks, country roads to get anywhere and having been in the position of being stuck before, I wanted to make sure that we had at least one car that could make it through if we were snowed in/ flooded etc. Proved its worth just a couple of weeks ago in the floods too. Also, we have a great big tent/ trailer combo for holidays, breaks etc (not a trailer tent, that'd be too sensible, a Vango Airbeam 6 berth jobbie that's 150% awesome) and I wanted a car that could tow that easily plus whatever it may be replaced by- SWMBO has designs on a ****** caravan at some unspecified future point. Plus, £280 a year tax.

The A3 has become my works car, daily driver etc. I now don't do huge mileage, so fuel efficiency isn't quite so much of a concern as it was, but it's only £160 a year to tax, it's a fun drive and returns 40-49MPG actual no matter how I throw it around. If it's to be replaced I'd like it to be with something slightly bigger, but approx. the same running costs.

For fun/ weekend etc I have the CL, and no plans to change that, unless I see something else of equivalent bargain status in the CL/ CLK55K category...

Last edited:

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Also, we have a great big tent/ trailer combo for holidays, breaks etc (not a trailer tent, that'd be too sensible, a Vango Airbeam 6 berth jobbie that's 150% awesome) and I wanted a car that could tow that easily plus whatever it may be replaced by- SWMBO has designs on a ****** caravan at some unspecified future point.

SWMBO talks sense, you need to listen :D:D

We bit the bullet and got an apartment on wheels, that gives us breaks, holidays and an alternative to hotels when I'm working away from home. We spent Christmas in ours, overlooking the Needles, full Xmas dinner, job done :D:D

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Having read that I would change the X-Trail for a Navara (or some such truck) and put a load cover on (type with windows in), they have massive payload and towing capability, I have driven a couple and they are quite good and well specced in Aventura trim.

Keep the other two, doesn't seem any reason to change them

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I had a thought this morning, whether it would be worth chopping the A3 in now for something a leeetle bigger. It's a beautiful car, no doubt about it, lovely to drive, great performance if a little lacking in MPG over its Golf predecessor. But, reading various user posts on here I wondered if chopping it in against a C class would be a good idea. Looking at the various C/ CLK320, their extra-urban MPG figures of around 49 compare well against the A3's 2.0TDI 170PS lump, except for an extra 50 geegees and around 80 torques.

What I can't find is a 350 in my price range- I reckon £5-5.5k or so. Plenty of 320 around in that bracket.

So the question is, what is the difference between the two engines (320 & 350)? Am I right in thinking that it is just a mapping issue, or different turbo setup..?

Also, are the 7 speed ("&g-Tronic) boxes as bad as I've heard, or just need careful handling?

Are you talking 320/350 petrol or diesel? If diesel...then run the thread again, Malcolm assumed you were talking petrol.

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Having read that I would change the X-Trail for a Navara (or some such truck) and put a load cover on (type with windows in), they have massive payload and towing capability, I have driven a couple and they are quite good and well specced in Aventura trim.

Keep the other two, doesn't seem any reason to change them

I'd contemplated that, I compared mine to a friend's Murano (the Navara with passenger rear) and it's enormous, likely wouldn't fit on the drive. I'm not too fussed about the 4 x 4 though, it was a fairly open & close case when I looked up the ML klasse diesel... it's more the Audi question than anything else.

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you talking 320/350 petrol or diesel? If diesel...then run the thread again, Malcolm assumed you were talking petrol.

It was an either or as I believe there are 320 & 350 engines available in each fuel type..?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It was an either or as I believe there are 320 & 350 engines available in each fuel type..?

Indeed there are.

The economy is much better with the diesels. Malc was quoting the petrol engines.

Last edited:
OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Actually when Malcolm posted, I popped onto Autotrader and had a look and there looks to be about 5mpg in it on official figures... 30 for the petrol and 35 for the diesel!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd contemplated that, I compared mine to a friend's Murano (the Navara with passenger rear) and it's enormous, likely wouldn't fit on the drive. I'm not too fussed about the 4 x 4 though, it was a fairly open & close case when I looked up the ML klasse diesel... it's more the Audi question than anything else.

I thought the Pathfinder was the Passenger Navara????

The Murano is the funny looking one with the hideously uneconomical 3.5 V6 Petrol from the 350Z??

I wouldn't bother changing the A3 to an A4, the A4 is not that much bigger in any way. I also wouldn't buy a W203 in any guise, had one, worst car I ever had!!!!

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Considering where I'm sat right now, I really should know the Pathfinder/ Navara/ Murano/ Patrol etc differences, but they're all made in Spain so I pay them little attention!

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Chris Waddle indeed! Ethetheth eth ethethetheth.

Near Barcelona is the plant.

Boutros Boutros Gali.

Top Bottom