320CLK Cabriolet roof stuck shut...

markhardy

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 Cabriolet 2004
Hi everyone ...

Nice to join this Forum at last. Previously had/have a 230CLK and thought I would see how I got on with that before proceeding further. Chose to do so, because I think they're 'orl right'!
However, three things, two of them involving the roof (!) which happened on the 230 as well from time to time...but just thought I'd check to see if my newer 320 had updated fixes? So...
1) the ever-present leak all over the passengers after it's been sitting in the rain. Is it still likely to be down to blocked 'internal' drainage channels?
2) the rear headrests suddenly came up for whatever reason...and won't retract. Now, neither will the soft top operate (presumably because the headrests are extended?).
3) An apparent air lock when refuelling. Takes about ten minutes to put a fiver in! Is this likely to be a kinked hose behind the filler neck?
Reference the roof problems, I saw a suggestion on this Forum about holding the top part of the headrest operating button down for ten seconds until you hear it engage, then changing to the bottom part and it's all OK again. It isn't! I can hear the engaging, but that's it.
So...to start my time with this Forum, can anyone help please (politely!) ?

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Hi and welcome.

Is your passenger getting wet feet ?. If so there is a drain blocked within the engine bay. There is a small rubber drain hole just in front of the plastic cover I front of the bulkhead. It is a bit difficult to spot but if you slide your hand down you will feel it.
Not sure regarding the fuel nor head rests.

OP
M

markhardy

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 Cabriolet 2004
No...but thanks for the thought. The water all comes in both sides where the join of the soft top meets the door pillar. It seems to be accumulating in the gully along the top of the windscreen...?
From what I have gathered from other owners, this problem has been nothing new for years with those with CLKs...:(

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
209 model? The headrests won't retract electrically. You need to insert a long bladed screwdriver or similar down the side of the headrest and push down the release button, then manually push the headrest down against spring pressure. It's quite hard to do!

OP
M

markhardy

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 Cabriolet 2004
Thank you Uncle Benz...I look forward to the challenge! Think I've seen elsewhere where the screwdriver has to go...but gather it's quite hard work even when the roof's down...? Will post the result.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
on the plus side, it could be worse. the roof could be stuck DOWN in all this wind and rain :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

welcome to the forum!

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
It sounds like something is I died the filler neck to me. I have had to fish things out for this exact reason.
Of course we have the benefit of a camera

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom