380SEC Won't accelerate above idle

SweetZRag

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380SEC/1983/?
Hi all. I could really use your help. I am an experienced DIY mechanic but have never worked on a Mercedes before. My wife inherited her father's 1983 380SEC and I need to get it running for her. Can you point me in the right direction to look? Most of my experience is with newer Chevrolets.

The issue is intermittent. Driving down the road, the car drops to idle speed without warning. It does not stall. It acts like the throttle cable broke and nothing happens when I press the accelerator pedal but the car is still running.

Does this car have a Throttle Position sensor? Can you explain how the throttle works or where I should start diagnosis. I have access to AllDataDIY.com and have purchased service manuals but find them difficult to use as many of the symbols are in German.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Hi
Put up a picture, a birds eye view, of what's under the bonnet.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I belive there is a microswitch in the gearbox selector that can do this if the car is in D but the switch isnt registering a connection.

Hopefully somebody better will come along with more information.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Those V8's do have a rather complicated throttle linkage, if you take the airfilter housng off you can inspect it, as you said it felt like it suddenly broke, could be abit seazed up

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom