Dan Tanna

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
250 C Class Coupe 2016
I have a 2016 C Class Coupe 250D AMG-Line Premium Plus, 30k miles.
My boot stopped opening the other day - wouldn't open at all.
Took it into Mercedes dealership (I have an extended warranty). They came back and said 11 wires on the left and 5 on the right were all broken. Extended warranty doesn't cover this apparently!
Mercedes' recommended fix would be £9,000 to replace the entire wiring loom!
This is clearly not wear-and-tear and points to a more fundamental problem either in design or manufacturing.

The MB dealership offered to fix it the non-Mercedes £9,000 recommended way (which is odd considering they are a MB dealership) and for £1,800 which I declined, obviously.

Can anyone on here offer me any advice? Is this a known problem?
If the Mercedes dealership won't budge, what are my options?

Thank you.

Last edited:

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
I wouldn't let it drop, keep on at them, ask to see the top man at the dealership, phone Mercedes themselves, I'll bet you will get it sorted, and if by chance they do dig there heels in, and won't budge, take it to a Mercedes indie, or a reputable auto electrician, who I'm pretty sure could fix that, I mean how hard can it be to splice 16 wires together again. As for £9,000 they are obviously having a laugh or smoking wacky backy.

OP
Dan Tanna

Dan Tanna

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
250 C Class Coupe 2016
I wouldn't let it drop, keep on at them, ask to see the top man at the dealership, phone Mercedes themselves, I'll bet you will get it sorted, and if by chance they do dig there heels in, and won't budge, take it to a Mercedes indie, or a reputable auto electrician, who I'm pretty sure could fix that, I mean how hard can it be to splice 16 wires together again. As for £9,000 they are obviously having a laugh or smoking wacky backy.
Thank you for your reply. It's really terrible. The dealership even said this shouldn't happen but they don't appear to want to help or fight my corner.

OP
Dan Tanna

Dan Tanna

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
250 C Class Coupe 2016
There's no way I am having it done at Mercedes unless they pay the £9,000!
Auto electrician to reconnect all the wires and put some heat shrink tape over them ?
Failing that I might do it for 8k :rolleyes:

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Thank you for your reply. It's really terrible. The dealership even said this shouldn't happen but they don't appear to want to help or fight my corner.
As I've said, kick up an almighty stink, me thinks, you'll get it done, under your extended warranty.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Extended warranty doesn't cover this apparently!
That's taking the p***

Mercedes' recommended fix would be £9,000 to replace the entire wiring loom!
There's a surprise!

This is clearly not wear-and-tear and points to a more fundamental problem either in design or manufacturing.
I completely agree. I've come across looms that have broken in the door pillar area or where it crosses into the boot, but this has been on cars much older, not after just 4 years.

I'd find a good, recommended local auto spark to sort it for you if you don't feel confident to do it yourself. I can't see it costing much to repair ....certainly doesn't need a new loom,

OP
Dan Tanna

Dan Tanna

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
250 C Class Coupe 2016
That's taking the p***

There's a surprise!

I completely agree. I've come across looms that have broken in the door pillar area or where it crosses into the boot, but this has been on cars much older, not after just 4 years.

I'd find a good, recommended local auto spark to sort it for you if you don't feel confident to do it yourself. I can't see it costing much to repair ....certainly doesn't need a new loom,

Thanks.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
...Extended warranty doesn't cover this apparently!
And you accepted this statement as true and correct? Did they identify the damaged areas to you and point out exactly what clauses in your agreement they were basing their decision upon? Do you agree with them that the damage identified isn't covered under your Extended Warranty Agreement? Get as much from them in writing for your future reference and actions as you can in any further communications/

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
And you accepted this statement as true and correct? Did they identify the damaged areas to you and point out exactly what clauses in your agreement they were basing their decision upon? Do you agree with them that the damage identified isn't covered under your Extended Warranty Agreement? Get as much from them in writing for your future reference and actions as you can in any further communications/
Finally a sensible reply to the OP’s thread .

OP
Dan Tanna

Dan Tanna

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
250 C Class Coupe 2016

Thank you for your reply and advice. The damage apparently was to the wires in the boot and the exclusions in the extended warranty states that it doesn't cover Wires and Wiring Looms. What caused the damage I do not know as it wasn't explained, but I will endeavour to get this in writing from them. Fundamentally a car of this type, cost and relatively young age should not fail like this.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Thank you for your reply and advice. The damage apparently was to the wires in the boot and the exclusions in the extended warranty states that it doesn't cover Wires and Wiring Looms.

That's a standard clause in extended warranties, whether in a manufacturer's name, or third party.

How long have you owned the car and did you buy it from a Mercedes dealer?

OP
Dan Tanna

Dan Tanna

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
250 C Class Coupe 2016
That's a standard clause in extended warranties, whether in a manufacturer's name, or third party.

How long have you owned the car and did you buy it from a Mercedes dealer?

4 years from brand new and from a Merc dealership

The MB dealership offered to fix it the non-Mercedes £9,000 recommended way (which is odd considering they are a MB dealership) and for £1,800 which I declined, obviously.

Top Bottom