+400K Skoda Diesel Engine.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
So why do we think 150-200k is a high mileage engine ?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
We don’t?

At Volkstadt there is a 1.9 litre Pumpe Duese TDI engine that achieved a million miles; VW replaced it free of charge to cut it in half and examine it before displaying it in their Powertrain engineering group.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
grand .. a vote for uncomplicated motoring then ? yup ! methinks the only "brain,chip, canbus." involved was in the drivers seat.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The youths VW 2.0tdi has some way to go it hasn't done 30,000 yet.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses sketch, 'Triggers Broom' !:)

685k miles to the first rebuild on that Volvo. Then when pulled down it was found not have needed it. Over 2 million on the clock before the second engine rebuild. Pretty impressive for a 1960s car and something I seriously doubt a current mass production engine could replicate.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
lk...So we have real progress on longevity,!!! dat volvo was NOT DTF and a rebuild was 1, not overly costly. 2,not overly complicated and 3.well within the means of Mr average and some basic information and tools. i did not need to go blow a mortgage wid Mr SNAP OFF ! on 2 dozen tools that do the same thing basically as i had in 1977,ie loosen or tighten a bolt or screw... W.T.F.H ?? and before someone pipes up wid no one wants a simple car, remember, in the 60,s that WAS considered complicated .yet it was for sure designed to be repaired /last..YES/NO?

Last edited:

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
When I worked in a Skoda franchise in Glasgow during the early noughties, the Octavia was just becoming the "must have car" to taxi in.
The 1.9SDi engined car just went forever with no more than routine servicing.

We had several customers who had by passed a quarter of a million miles and I remember two which broke the half million.

The only real trouble that they had with the cars was with the gearboxes which, was down to the weakness of not enough rivets holding the crown wheel in place, only having 7 I think it was. They were upgraded to nine and that solved the problem.

My point is that the VW diesel engines of that era were made to last, low power, about 70BHP as I recall and very economical suited the taxi boys right down to the ground.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
lk...So we have real progress on longevity,!!! dat volvo was NOT DTF and a rebuild was 1, not overly costly. 2,not overly complicated and 3.well within the means of Mr average and some basic information and tools. i did not need to go blow a mortgage wid Mr SNAP OFF ! on 2 dozen tools that do the same thing basically as i had in 1977,ie loosen or tighten a bolt or screw... W.T.F.H ?? and before someone pipes up wid no one wants a simple car, remember, in the 60,s that WAS considered complicated .yet it was for sure designed to be repaired /last..YES/NO?
It also can’t meet modern emissions requirements and doesn’t have the production throughout of modern engines. There’s a reason things are the way they are now and it really isn’t to make them die sooner (exception, handheld electronics)...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It also can’t meet modern emissions requirements and doesn’t have the production throughout of modern engines. There’s a reason things are the way they are now and it really isn’t to make them die sooner (exception, handheld electronics)...

we are just going to have to understand that we are unlikely to agree...i suspect that to an extent this will be age related and experiences of both modern appliances ,cars, electrical goods, and older stuff ,some over 25 yr, but there it is.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Engine may last but what about the rest of the car? Bushes and pipes and mounts etc

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
we are just going to have to understand that we are unlikely to agree...i suspect that to an extent this will be age related and experiences of both modern appliances ,cars, electrical goods, and older stuff ,some over 25 yr, but there it is.
Hey, I get your point of view completely. My first job was working on Douglas DC-3, -4 & -6 in cargo role. 70 year old aircraft still completely airworthy and even cost efficient in their particular niche. Those Pratt& Whitney R-1830 & R-2800 engines were literally bulletproof. The airframes just kept on going. They were truly remarkable designs and a testament to the men and women who conceived and calculated them back in the day.

The only problem now is that an R-1830 producing 1400hp has a MTO interval of 200 hours and requires around 15 man-hrs/ flight hour to maintain. A PT-6 produces 1500-3000shp , has an MTO of 1200 hours and requires around 4 man-hours/ flight hour. Engine costs as new are similar. That’s all good if the platforms were <almost> free to acquire and there’s enough of a market close by to employ them.

Look at ships with 600PSI steam plants and it’s the same. They can be kept going almost indefinitely but the crew costs for a steam black gang vs a diesel or GT one are 5-6x. Same argument was made with reciprocating steam engines vs steam turbine or diesel in the 30s and 50s for freighters btw. Same with the construction of those ships, now module or block built vs keel-up in a slipway. We couldn’t go back to that way of working even if we wanted to now (which we don’t!)

Same with cars. The way cars (and their engines) are built now, to achieve unit cost price and production throughout really precludes the kinds of techniques and design considerations that Volvo employed back in the 60s. Remembering that the average first time owner life of a car now is 8.1 years, and the car is usually sold because the owner wants a new model, not the existing car has gone wrong... and the problem starts to shift over to the customer’s expectations of the market more than the market offering by the OEM.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i was still in kenya when air kenya used the DC 3 to take people down to the mara and back.i used to have to make sure my commander was parked well away ,they develop some draft when moving off and turning on the ground! and i watched the pt6 install in the states, think air kenya got out of them because of costs on pt 6 install /practicality of running them on. older stuff was just made to last ..not some hypothetical 8.1 yr. where we can agree is the "we want new" story. i learnt long ago that that was a recipe to keep me working till 75! or longer so i have little interest in "we want it new" i want it built well and to be able to maintain it sans microsoft/dealer and monthly trips to the snap off van, at least once its out of warranty, being i never have anything IN warranty anyway and hell will freeze over before i go to finance for a car so i dont mind too much paying for a car,but i damn sure mind doing it,again thru the nose before its 20yr+ old and shot because of the cost of some lump of silicon in a tin box that costs more than the cars worth...
i dont have an issue with progress, i have a big issue with unnecessary complication of a simple thing that works just fine as is. i dont mind "better" headlights, i damn sure do mind a 1200 price tag and frankly until they could be produced and sold for sensible money they have no business on the car ! except as an option from std. and that cost would be not more than what my existing headlight would cost..

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The 8.1 years is measured, that is what the auto industry has found globally is the average duration the from- new owners are keeping their cars for before selling them into the used market.

Heheh, Turbo-Daks. Christ on a bike. Those things were crazy on the ground. Likely still are!

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
We have a 1.9 PD engine in the wife's car which is currently on around 175k. Apart from the common fault of 'chocolate cams' on the ARL engine (which I had done), it never misses a beat. With regular servicing, it can go on for much much longer

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have a 1.9 PD engine in the wife's car which is currently on around 175k. Apart from the common fault of 'chocolate cams' on the ARL engine (which I had done), it never misses a beat. With regular servicing, it can go on for much much longer
My Golf with the 1.9 130PS PD engine was on 225k when sold, and still achieving 65-70mpg easily. They really are superb engines.

Top Bottom