+400K Skoda Diesel Engine.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
My Golf with the 1.9 130PS PD engine was on 225k when sold, and still achieving 65-70mpg easily. They really are superb engines.

My last car was an 2003 Audi A6 sport, 6 speed manual, with the AZF 1.9 130 Pd engine ( same as yours ) Refill to refill, 600 Miles. Had 155'000 Miles done when I sold it to the Brother-in-Law, Running like a Swiss clock. Only engine problem I encountered was the the wiring harness feeding the injectors, and removing / replacing it solved that. The only other problem's were suspension related....but that was mainly due to the condition of the local roads around here. Bodywise, completely rust free, and still having it's original paintwork intact. Still many many miles left in it.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
2 examples of maker defying longevity,grand.....bet there is some research on how to reduce that statistic.. more,cheaper plastic ,thinner metal. /castings ,reducing Q.C ,cheaper outsourcing. reducing design standards (looking for the magic 8.1 ) examples of this can be seen in models originally produced in the developed world ,then production moved to the developing world. i saw jeeps in kenya .one origional ,1 china built closer than 6 ft the difference was like lada/RR .
A decent difference, the dacia duster, i tried an auto version last Nov, it was ok as a runabout, bit tinny but fair value for money , and little electronics,tho this IS coming... many components well tested in other makes.. i would be ok with one as my workhorse/shopping car.
and i bet, the golf/190 pd cars were lucky in that for most of the time they were on a good maintenance regime, i swear by this, earlier oil changes ect, the cheapest/easiest /most effective way to having long lasting engines/trans ect. also most of use at std opp temps. at home, i walk to the shops sometimes 2 or more times a day if required rather than start my cars for a 2 min run, unless its hammering down ....

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
2 examples of maker defying longevity,grand.....bet there is some research on how to reduce that statistic.. more,cheaper plastic ,thinner metal. /castings ,reducing Q.C ,cheaper outsourcing. reducing design standards (looking for the magic 8.1 ) examples of this can be seen in models originally produced in the developed world ,then production moved to the developing world. i saw jeeps in kenya .one origional ,1 china built closer than 6 ft the difference was like lada/RR .
A decent difference, the dacia duster, i tried an auto version last Nov, it was ok as a runabout, bit tinny but fair value for money , and little electronics,tho this IS coming... many components well tested in other makes.. i would be ok with one as my workhorse/shopping car.
and i bet, the golf/190 pd cars were lucky in that for most of the time they were on a good maintenance regime, i swear by this, earlier oil changes ect, the cheapest/easiest /most effective way to having long lasting engines/trans ect. also most of use at std opp temps. at home, i walk to the shops sometimes 2 or more times a day if required rather than start my cars for a 2 min run, unless its hammering down ....
That just doesn’t happen. The assertion is just incorrect. Look, I’ve been in (still am in) that world and reducing performance is almost impossible- age, corrosion resistance, number of cycles etc. Design changes typicslly amount to “how can we keep or exceed original performance but reduce cost”, sometimes “how do we keep cost the same but increase performance?” (much trickier) and only once did I see a “reduce cost by reducing performance”. Once in around ten thousand examples. And that was after a year of collecting field data to demonstrate that actual performance was so much better than predicted that it wouldn’t matter.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My 1999 S70 T5 I had was sold at 221k miles. Original clutch. Original driveshafts. Original starter, injectors, alternator, water pump, struts, springs, suspension bushes etc. The only thing I changed other than service items was the throttle body (which was a known weakness). It had no rust either but was only 10 years old when sold.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
My 1999 S70 T5 I had was sold at 221k miles. Original clutch. Original driveshafts. Original starter, injectors, alternator, water pump, struts, springs, suspension bushes etc. The only thing I changed other than service items was the throttle body (which was a known weakness). It had no rust either but was only 10 years old when sold.

this seems to support my view.
will this kind of thing be more common,less common or static in the future. my money is on the 2nd, based on real world, what i still have working ten or more yrs old, verses what i have. and have had ten yrs old or less. that still works and has not required replacement.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

Well my E320 has had most bushes/joints replaced some twice, drop links four lots, at least two sets of springs,a recent set of injectors just out of that lot.
Then there are loads of other parts, pumps,controllers,motors etc etc.
As for rust just think forth bridge all at 140,000 mls
Two sets of genuine MB front wings also fitted by them all doors, tailgate,bonnet,rear wings, spring perches.

Triggers broom has nothing on mine.

So on reflection I picked the wrong horse and should have bought something else.

Perhaps I have had enough punishment and when I go electric I better get something else properly made.

As to what I have no idea.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
why F.A go for the quingo an spend the change on spare batteries .

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I want a comfortable barge to insulate me from the road and other users.

Or maybe you mean one of these quingo's

air2_angle_side.png

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
yes Gazwould, you are right, it's my mistake ( old age.....) and the other VAG 1.9 with a good high mileage reputation was the AWX one. Either one was a brilliant engine.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I want a comfortable barge to insulate me from the road and other users.

Or maybe you mean one of these quingo's

air2_angle_side.png

yup..... not much tech in there methinks.. and somewhere for the beer...

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
yes Gazwould, you are right, it's my mistake ( old age.....) and the other VAG 1.9 with a good high mileage reputation was the AWX one. Either one was a brilliant engine.

It all started with those magnificent VE engines ( Audi A4 B5 ) AFN engine etc , and the first time I ever saw 70+mpg quoted .

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom