450SL 107 Charging Voltage

Isdyldan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'71 350 SL, Mercedes 350 CLS SB, '94 Shogun 2.8 LWB, '73 Porsche 914
Hi - I've been having flat battery issues on my '72 450 SL. I have fitted a new battery and with the engine off it shows 12.7 Volts. With the engine running I have 13 Volts at the battery and the alternator. I swapped out the alternator and the regulator for replacement (not new - off the breaking wreck I have) but still the same. Someone told me that this is fine for this car due to the sensitive D-Jetronic injection system, but I have read elsewhere that a battery needs between 14.3 and 14.8 Volts to charge properly. Any ideas please? Incidently, the rev counter has started bouncing around the place and the indicaters have stopped indicating, but these could be unrelated!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is.8 or a touch more or the battery will not charge at all, the reg packs are under 320 from Bosch and thats all there is too it unless you have a very bad grounding on the battery.

Rev counter also point to a bad ground somewhere, possible engine ground

OP
I

Isdyldan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'71 350 SL, Mercedes 350 CLS SB, '94 Shogun 2.8 LWB, '73 Porsche 914
Hi Malc, Thanks for the reply but for some reason the text has come out odd. Is that 13.8 or 14.8? Also mine has a separate regulator fixed to the body by the radiator about 2" x 3" x 4" in size. Should I be swapping out my alternator for a more modern one then with integrel regulator? I can't see this separate reg being cheap, if it's even available.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom