4Matic

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
Haldex though, so not proper 4WD.

yeah i only heard of it via an AMG instructor, suppose to be an absolute beast of a car, rekons it'll probably see more in ditches than on roads!

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I got my fingers burnt buying a 1992 mercedes 300 4matic, when I moved to Devon 9yrs ago. Always underneath it, what a money spinner, realised we only get bad weather a few days a year, would not buy another 4 wheel drive. Hope this helps

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
Well I have both.
The ClK is useless in the snow.
Rav 4 on it's standard tyres went everywhere these past 3 winters.
Bridgestone Duellers so they are a compromise between summer/winter.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I got my fingers burnt buying a 1992 mercedes 300 4matic, when I moved to Devon 9yrs ago. Always underneath it, what a money spinner, realised we only get bad weather a few days a year, would not buy another 4 wheel drive. Hope this helps
The first 4matic W124 cars were elegantly engineered but hugely problematic vehicles. The major problem was with the design of the centre differential/transfer gearbox which was particularly expensive to repair. The rest of the control sensors/electronics/hydraulics were pretty tame compared to today's standards but were pretty much "state of the art" in their day. This meant they were an expensive and complicated nightmare for MB dealers to repair at a time when most Mercedes were bullet proof required only routine servicing over the years.
This was singularly unfortunate as the "4matic" concept gained a very bad reputation in the UK market and I believe with the importers. When the second generation of 4matic vehicles were released using much more robust technology [e.g. 4wd via electronically controlled brakes instead of differentials] its my contention this heavily influenced the decision of MERCEDES not to develop a RHD version for its saloons and estates, and this situation has yet to change.:(

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
The first 4matic W124 cars were elegantly engineered but hugely problematic vehicles. The major problem was with the design of the centre differential/transfer gearbox which was particularly expensive to repair. The rest of the control sensors/electronics/hydraulics were pretty tame compared to today's standards but were pretty much "state of the art" in their day. This meant they were an expensive and complicated nightmare for MB dealers to repair at a time when most Mercedes were bullet proof required only routine servicing over the years.
This was singularly unfortunate as the "4matic" concept gained a very bad reputation in the UK market and I believe with the importers. When the second generation of 4matic vehicles were released using much more robust technology [e.g. 4wd via electronically controlled brakes instead of differentials] its my contention this heavily influenced the decision of MERCEDES not to develop a RHD version for its saloons and estates, and this situation has yet to change.:(

With decent winter tyres is 4wd really needed in a family car. Sales of BMWs would indicate not.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
With decent winter tyres is 4wd really needed in a family car. Sales of BMWs would indicate not.

True but fills a niche in the market [ AUDI anyone??] for folks that want a bit of extra traction on occasions---- towing/minor off road excursions/ living in an area subject to snow on a regular basis etc ---- Means you get a better 4WD car/estate without the weight/performance/handling/visibility penalty of a large SUV type vehicle. Come to think of it how many people ever use a fraction of their 4x4 SUV's capability but they still buy 'em in droves?
Winter tyres will definitely transform a RWD car's handling in ice and snow :) but a 4MATIC saloon/estate on winter tyres will be even better.:D

Top Bottom