51 plate c200 kompressor coupe episode II

jungleboy

Reaction score
Hello very helpful people of mbo

I posted previously regarding my alternator / under voltage / defective consumer notices and decided to grow a pair and take the alternator out myself (after having checked the battery etc)

Its a bosch alternator (where the chat about that haynes manual ???) and the first thing i notice when removing the regulator/brush holder is a distinct step where the brushes hit the slip ring , the second thing i notice is that one brush is shorter than the other.

The cars done 92k and this is clearly the original alt

Was clearly hoping for something more definative at this stage , i suppose it could still be the regulator......

I did have a good picture of the wear on the slip rings but my bluetooth has packed up , one of those days

Many thanks in adavnce

JD

Attachments

• DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 11

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hello mr jungle massive,

i am not at all sure what your question is, but those brushes look all fine and dandy. if the tips are not pitted, oxidised or dull looking then look elsewhere.

remind us, what was your problem, does the battery actually go flat? does the charging fail at certain rpm?

a joke. Q. why was the mouse scared of the jungle?
A. because the junglist massive!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The brushes look fine to me also, the regulator could be at fault... If I remember correctly you were getting under voltage warnings

OP
J

jungleboy

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I got the undervoltage alarm then the red "go to workshop now!" alarm then she died after having done about 25 miles (trying to get home to the garage!)

I chraged the battery a bit and measured the voltage when it was running and saw that i was steadily falling away

My mechanic pal used a fancy battery tester and proved it was nt at fault so as i saw it , the only culprit could be the alternator

I was hoping that the step created by wear on the slip rings could be the problem , but like you i can t see a problem with the brushes

I ve not seen many people on the forum with failed regulators but I suppose that could be the problem, hope so , I can afford one of those ….

I presume you can hook up a vaiable power supply and check that the output voltage is uniform ? Has anyone doen this?

Thanks Lads

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i must point out that on your car the charging is determined to some extent by the front sam. for sure your alternator has the brushes, regulator and rectifier, but the sam has final say on whether it charges or not.

OP
J

jungleboy

Reaction score
excuse my ignorance , whats a sam?
:Oops:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A SAM is a signal acquisition module that takes in info from all of the electronic in the car,,it runs using the CAN bus,, that is a high speed date system going around in the car

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom