608d burning oil and a bit smokey.

chong

Reaction score
New to the forum and straight in with a problem :p for those of you know know about these things.

Have a 608d and although it runs fine its a bit smokey (mostly on start up) and its burning oil. im not exactly sure how much but maybe about a litre or 2 every 1000 miles? Im keeping a tab on it now so i can see exactly how much its used. Its also a wee bit 'tappety' kinda like a bit of a sewing machine but not as bad as some ive heard.

Shes done a fair few miles possibly round the clock but have no real way of telling as the records dont go back more than 10 years.

I know theres many things what this could be caused by but can someone please help me out with some suggestions as to what to check first? Im led to believe a leakdown test would be the first thing to do if i can source one i can borrow? (is this similar to a compression tester?)
Would replacing the valve guides be a costly affair and worth doing anyways? I have been told thats 'probably' what it is but im a bit clueless with diesels to be honest. :rolleyes:

Hoping to have a go at this myself as i need to get stuck in sometime so any help would be really appreciated. If you need to know any more detail just let me know as ive probably missed out loads.

muchas gracias amigos ;)

OP
C

chong

Reaction score
anyone able to give any onfo on this then?

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td

richyba

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Website
www.4tours.biz
Your Mercedes
1978 T1 307D,2005 Slk200K,1982 300DSLC (honest!) & 1994 410d Camper
The 608d s are renowned for going on forever and in my experiance never sound very well anyhow! Indeed that trait has continued to this day as you might have noticed if you have heard a new Vario! I wouldn,th think that oil consumption too excessive for one, just one point does it leak any oil? I wouldn't be surprised if it was valve guides but cant say I have ever been inside a 608d engine even though I have had a few through my hands (and opearated a few later models). Unless you are doing huge miles I would keep an eye on its oil consumption, just a thought but is it running on a good grade of oil, they do like decent oil certainly my old 410d seems much happier on good oil, just some thoughts for you!

Gtechniq manufactures an ultra durable and comprehensive range of surface protection products for cars, boats, RV's and aircrafthttp://www.gtechniq.com
Top Bottom