642 engine broken glow plugs

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Any of the other techs/ members had the joy of removing broken glow plugs from a 642 engine. We had x4 out of x6 today and one in particular was very stubborn!!!

Also do any of the other techs have the specific kit for removing them on the said engine, and if so how good is it? Space around the plugs is very tight!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Yes, done 3x on 642s this month.

One further joy of the 642 is the need for working glow plugs, unlike the better starting inline engines.
Thankyou MB.

I have two different kits, one Laser one Sealey, the best is here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-19...UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item43b2ba6f38 and not too pricey either.
Last one I saw only took 40 mins, with the hex and terminal comically glued in place with Araldite :D
This is just one of those jobs that requires experience, in particular with drills and taps, and knowing when they will snap...
Access is critical too, but you can often mod and improvise to work in tight spots. anyhows, I am sure the people at Wayne Gates will get good results with the cheap Sealey tool.

OP
W

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Cheers Alex thanks for the link

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom