70 Litres Unleaded in my E320CDI - HELP!!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Unless a jump start will show up on star....The star guys will know......it will be very hard to prove any liability

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is simple if the car cannot communicate with STAR and the engine fan is running when switched on the car has been jumped with the polarity the wrong way round.

There are no problems in disconnecting the batteries or jumping a 211,it is nothing like a 203.

If an indie was working on the car then only one battery lead would get removed.

Why the car need jumping anyway is a mystery as there was nothing wrong on that side of things, and the battery would have been good for 3 weeks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you drain a diesel car it takes a fair bit of cranking to fill the fuel lines and get the fuel as far as the front filter.

We my never know how that was done or even if attempted,I do not know enough about diesels to know if the pump would work if going backwards

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
If you drain a diesel car it takes a fair bit of cranking to fill the fuel lines and get the fuel as far as the front filter.

We my never know how that was done or even if attempted,I do not know enough about diesels to know if the pump would work if going backwards
It should be a mechanical lift pump so that can't happen.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
211 has a electric pump in the tank, hence, never turn the key to number 2 if you mis-fuel!!!!!

Colin_P

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 W203 C220Cdi Estate Manual, 475 000km; 2004 W203 C220Cdi Estate Manual, 165 000km
211 has a electric pump in the tank, hence, never turn the key to number 2 if you mis-fuel!!!!!

The logical way to get the majority of air out the system is to run that pump till you get fuel through the filter, and then only start cranking the engine. It can make it possible to get the engine running without needing a jump start and puts a lot less strain on your starter motor, which isn't designed to run for long periods.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

OK so if electric and it ran backwards through reversed polarity there should be no diesel in the fuel lines. I was just trying to work out who did what and if there was a way to tell

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
If a reverse polarity jump start has been attempted the first thing that usually fries, if the leads are connected for more than the briefest flash, is the rectifier pack in the alternator.:( Is this engine CDI or mechanical injection ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If a reverse polarity jump start has been attempted the first thing that usually fries, if the leads are connected for more than the briefest flash, is the rectifier pack in the alternator.:( Is this engine CDI or mechanical injection ?

Yes that is true of most cars, not sure how the battery inverter box comes into this one

OP
Kalley

Kalley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI SPORT (W211)
will update you all tomorrow......

OP
Kalley

Kalley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI SPORT (W211)
MB have diagnosed a blown fuse near the SAM.

Replaced it and re-programmed the ECU.

Car started!!

They are charging me 2 hours labour which I think is reasonable.

You thoughts??

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Sounds ok to me, did they say what they suspected caused the blown fuse?

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211

Car started!!

You thoughts??

A 'Blown fuse' it all sounds so simple NOW:shock: However I guess you are extremely relieved that's all it was.
- however as always the simple things are never checked first if so you might have gotten away with half an hour of labour:Oops:

OP
Kalley

Kalley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI SPORT (W211)
i suspect the indie may have blown the fuse when disconnecting/connecting the battery?

Who knows....main thing is the car has been drained, diesel filter changed, fuse replaced, ECU reprogrammed and its running.

I've left it with MB for its 2nd year service - which I am told is a main service costing £490!!

Just so relieved - I can sleep now!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Car started!!

You thoughts??
OK so your indie did not disconnect the battery when taking down the tank and blew the fuse for the SAM when putting it back. Its something one does automatically when working on cars, or should do. Its when you plug things back in that causes these things owing to the multi contacts and what pin makes contact first.

Pleased it was not what I though earlier, so on all job one should disconnect the battery

I would not have thought that one, but pleased its all going

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
You thoughts??

Your indie seems clueless. Maybe he isn't really, but he sounds it. Who was it, I wonder if it's the same one on another thread where they seem to be struggling?

Last edited:

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
We are making an assumption that the Indie didn't disconnect the battery, maybe he did and the fuse blew on connection due to a current surge.

I would have thought that checking the fuses would be one of the first diagnostics to be tried.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom