70 Litres Unleaded in my E320CDI - HELP!!

N

npuk

We are making an assumption that the Indie didn't disconnect the battery, maybe he did and the fuse blew on connection due to a current surge.

1) Disconnected the Battery
2) Took the tank off and drained it
3) changed the diesel filter
4) Put £20 of diesel in

Seems he did disconnect the battery first. As dieselman said though why didnt he check the fuse?

Would be good to know who the independant is. Brentford is my local main dealer. I think I know who the indie is and if it is who I am thinking off they have a bad reputation from what I read when reading up on reviews for independants in my area.

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
We are making an assumption that the Indie didn't disconnect the battery, maybe he did and the fuse blew on connection due to a current surge.

I would have thought that checking the fuses would be one of the first diagnostics to be tried.

There can be no surge when connecting or disconnecting the battery, it just does not happen.

What completely threw things was the statement that it could not connect to STAR. even with the fuse blown STAR would have still given a complete read out, just all very odd to say the least

OP
Kalley

Kalley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI SPORT (W211)
Even MB couldn't read the ECU this morning and were talking replacing it at first....until they diagnosed the blown fuse.

When Mobilo came out the Indie told them he suspected a blown fuse but because he couldnt read the ECU he was reluctant to go further.

He suspected the blown fuse had stopped power to the ECU.

Still a mystery as to how the fuse blew.

stickandrudder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lots
When Mobilo came out the Indie told them he suspected a blown fuse but because he couldnt read the ECU he was reluctant to go further.

He suspected the blown fuse had stopped power to the ECU.

Well, at least that tells us that the indie did have half a clue what he was doing, but why he didn't just replace the fuse and finish the job is a mystery.:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, at least that tells us that the indie did have half a clue what he was doing, but why he didn't just replace the fuse and finish the job is a mystery.:confused:

It was or is so basic, always check for power before anything else

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,

Kept out of this thread, trouble is with me, i read things then cant let them go, ok, fuse blown! first off is why, a fuse dont blow just because!! 2nd thing is, couldnt talk to the ECU, did they check for the live's and earths at the ECU, if they had, then they would have seen, there was no feed!!!! where does the feed come from?? seems a lot of "tech's" have seen/played with this car but have all forgotten the basic's! if you have a live and a earth loop, then the problem is somewhere other, i,e CAN fault, but for it just to be a fuse!! why wasnt this picked up straight away??????

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kept out of this thread, trouble is with me, i read things then cant let them go, ok, fuse blown! first off is why, a fuse dont blow just because!! 2nd thing is, couldnt talk to the ECU, did they check for the live's and earths at the ECU, if they had, then they would have seen, there was no feed!!!! where does the feed come from?? seems a lot of "tech's" have seen/played with this car but have all forgotten the basic's! if you have a live and a earth loop, then the problem is somewhere other, i,e CAN fault, but for it just to be a fuse!! why wasnt this picked up straight away??????

Well Cole lets put it this way, you cannot blow a fuse with the battery disconnected. You cannot blow a fuse of that size by connecting up the battery, so need more be said ;):D

OP
Kalley

Kalley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI SPORT (W211)
Guys I agree - the Indie should have finished the job he started.

But for some reason unbeknown to me he was reluctant to get involved as soon as the ECU wouldn't respond?

Perhaps he didn't feel comfortable re-programming the ECU - not sure how hard this is as I don't have the first clue (is this best left to MB?).

The downside for me is having had to pay MB 2 hours labour......

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Guys I agree - the Indie should have finished the job he started.

But for some reason unbeknown to me he was reluctant to get involved as soon as the ECU wouldn't respond?

Perhaps he didn't feel comfortable re-programming the ECU - not sure how hard this is as I don't have the first clue (is this best left to MB?).

The downside for me is having had to pay MB 2 hours labour......

I may be being a little harsh on them here but this smacks of a bit of profiteering\punishment by the dealer for you going elsewhere first. As Colin mentioned above, surely this would be on the list of first things to check and therefore within the first 1/2-1 hour, not 2.

I think you'll probably have to suck it up in this instance but it does gall a bit to have to pay over and above what you'd expect. Maybe a contribution\discount from the indie for failing to complete the job?

Dave

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
An interesting point

Maybe a contribution\discount from the indie for failing to complete the job?

Dave

an interesting point here Dave. We all expect to have to pay for work done. We expect it to be done correctly and checked. We expect to have to pay before leaving the premises.

When things don't go as planned, we also find ourselves charged for the time taken, even if a quicker or better remedy would have cost less, had the diagnosis been better. We can even find ourselves being charged for something that "could not be repaired", only to go elsewhere and have it fixed with no apparent difficulty.

So we do find ourselves paying for things we did not want or did not get.

The concept of an ineffective trader compensating the customer for failure to do the job, or to do it effectively, has not really penetrated the UK psyche, and would almost certainly lead to disputes over what was reasonable/foreseeable/preventable.

But it warrants consideration.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
The OP made a mistake, it happens.

The OP favoured saving some expense and going to an Indy, reasonable.

The OP would like to retain the warranty, MB 'reasonably' being able to void the warranty is debateable.

A further fault developped, root cause still not determined and possibly won't be.

People should be accountable for their action, and maybe sometimes their failings. But we have a society that increasingly looks for a culprit. With this view it may be possible that the Indy reasoned that to continue with this job, of increased complication of unknown cause, may leave him having to expend time with the owner saying "well it's got to be your fault".

He's in business for revenue and it could be that he just saw a danger of not getting paid for the future effort, so pass it on ??

More guess work and maybe he screwed up, but with the complications of these motors (demonstrated here often), I don't think a person can be expected to know all, and take the risk if he doesn't.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
More guess work and maybe he screwed up, but with the complications of these motors (demonstrated here often), I don't think a person can be expected to know all, and take the risk if he doesn't.

I am with you on all points here Martin, but the dealerships are no less capable of complicating a comparatively simple issue. Some have been know to replace bits until the problem goes away.

As customers we all enter into these arrangements with faith, in many cases child like faith in the infallibility of the provider.

The only thing we can be certain of is the bill - and as I have suggested earlier some will charge a bill for all time and materials used, whether necessary or not, and even whether successful or not.

It is not really "a fair fight".

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see the dealers as having a greater responsibility.

They sell cars with the impression that they give a superior back up service, they must to generate the confidence for the buyer. So it follows that we should expect them to be able to diagnose correctly.

It's unfortunate that their costs are so high, and that we are hearing more tales of deciet from them.

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is a difficult one.

One the one hand, as a customer, I expect a job I have requested and been quoted for, to be completed as per the original diagnosis and within the quote given. If any part of that is not kept to, I feel aggrieved and expect a consideration in lieu of satisfaction.

On the other hand and putting my work hat on, I have myself been in the unfortunate circumstance of things going awry (whether my 'fault' or not) during the course of a job. To get things back on course may take a lot longer than originally expected. I would want to be paid for the extra work but shouldn't expect the client to pay for it. (Unfortunately, in my line of work, it is generally me\my company who foots the bill, unless agreed otherwise in advance although I have been in many many negotiations around this very fact).

On the whole I tend to think as a customer, and I would never expect to pay for a learning experience (although have had to in the past). At the worst I would hope that the extra expense would be shared, if the issue is completely unforeseen, and waived if the expert is at fault - after all, the expert should be aware of possible pitfalls (a.k.a. the experience I am paying for at £70-100 per hour) and have them taken into account when pricing the job originally.

In this instance, from the information we have, it appears that the indie may have, accidentally though it may be, introduced an additional fault whilst resolving the original issue and should, therefore, be looking at giving some form of goodwill to the customer to mitigate the additional cost incurred.

Dave

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
It is a difficult one.

In this instance, from the information we have, it appears that the indie may have, accidentally though it may be, introduced an additional fault whilst resolving the original issue and should, therefore, be looking at giving some form of goodwill to the customer to mitigate the additional cost incurred.

Dave

How do we know it was the indie that accidentally caused the blown fuse, the car could have been tampered with whilst it was in the hands of others :shock:

Too many 'if's' and 'maybe's' open on this and as the blame cannot be pinpointed it would be a difficult one to resolve.

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
John

That's why I specifically put "from the information we have" in bold when talking about this particular instance. In reality, we don't know and can only make assumptions based on what has been said (taken by Mobilo, stored in dealership then transported to indie before any work began) by the OP.

I'm hoping that the rest makes sense generally though!

Dave

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
Its about taking responsibility, unfortunately three different people have worked on the car, and one of them, have knowingly or by mistake blown the fuse, but will not own up to this.
Unfortunately we live in a culture where many do not accept responsibility for their actions.:(

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not a Mercedes anyway.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom