722.6 Transmission Fluid Leaking

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
That's because the oil had wicked its way up the wiring harness the same as happens with cam magnets on the M271 and it was draining back out of the harness and not the gearbox.

Hi Oldspanners. Despite having had a new socket and seals fitted less than 5'000 mile's ago? It could already have wicked that amount up the harness??....and then dripped down onto the under tray, and pooled there, waiting for enough momentum to tip it onto the road? I put about 200ml into the box to replace the lost fluid, and so far, no more leaking. So if that's what happened...question is how far has it wicked up the harness? Is there anyway to tell? If I trace that harness all the way up to where it plug's into it's ecu, disconnect it and see if it's wet inside? Or is that even advisable, let alone possible? In any case, it wil be getting new seals and socket this coming week, and hopefully, that will sort it this time. Is there any merit in my theory about spinning the rear wheel's in the grass, while pushing back a loaded trailer, which caused the rev counter to climb a bit? ( but not more than 16-1800 RPM ) Thus creating a bit of a ATF storm in the trans. and forcing the fluid out via the electrical socket?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Hi Oldspanners. Despite having had a new socket and seals fitted less than 5'000 mile's ago? It could already have wicked that amount up the harness??....and then dripped down onto the under tray, and pooled there, waiting for enough momentum to tip it onto the road? I put about 200ml into the box to replace the lost fluid, and so far, no more leaking. So if that's what happened...question is how far has it wicked up the harness? Is there anyway to tell? If I trace that harness all the way up to where it plug's into it's ecu, disconnect it and see if it's wet inside? Or is that even advisable, let alone possible? In any case, it wil be getting new seals and socket this coming week, and hopefully, that will sort it this time. Is there any merit in my theory about spinning the rear wheel's in the grass, while pushing back a loaded trailer, which caused the rev counter to climb a bit? ( but not more than 16-1800 RPM ) Thus creating a bit of a ATF storm in the trans. and forcing the fluid out via the electrical socket?
No, I was actually referring to Taffy's post where after replacing the O rings it continued to leak for a while. I think with yours it was simply the O rings not seated or the older type fitted. In extreme cases the oil will make its way to the trans ECU but it will take a while and you'll have had to top up the transmission.
I drove with an O ring in the engine oil filter in the wrong place for over 1000 miles before it leaked.
I'd say you'll be fixed with the new O rings.

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
No, I was actually referring to Taffy's post where after replacing the O rings it continued to leak for a while. I think with yours it was simply the O rings not seated or the older type fitted. In extreme cases the oil will make its way to the trans ECU but it will take a while and you'll have had to top up the transmission.
I drove with an O ring in the engine oil filter in the wrong place for over 1000 miles before it leaked.
I'd say you'll be fixed with the new O rings.
Ah, that explains that so. Thank's Oldspanners.

Top Bottom