7g gearbox changes

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Does anyone know if the 7g gearbox had any changes or improvements from 07 to 09 its very hard to find much info on it

Thanks

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Yes, but they are all different. If the car doesn't jolt from 2 into 1, its had the update.

I'm not a fan and I'd advise you to consider a car without that.

I've driven my car from 05, right through to 59 reg cars with 7g and all of them had issues from minor transmission flares to jerky shifts.

Some are just better than others, there is no explaining it.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
If I guess correctly, the cars Malcolm's looking at will have this box and no other

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Steve :D and you are right Toby,, no other so no choice, the changes in my SL are undetectable with the 72.6

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
Thanks Steve :D and you are right Toby,, no other so no choice, the changes in my SL are undetectable with the 72.6

im still none the wiser:Oops:...with me being a MB Novice i think i will be guessing for some time:lol:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I have said it so many times now on here that I refuse to say it again, but I will:D if you go out in the car and reset the fill times for up and down shift, these boxes are perfect, Malc no,s, he went out in my R,classes a few times.......

What did you think Malc???????

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

The 722.9 is fine beyond gears 2. It goes up and down smoothly enough, and it cruises at low RPM. It can fustrate at 50-70mph as its not sure if it wants 6th or 7th.

Driving around the box takes a lot of work, and in a diesel running out of wind at 69mph in 3rd is annoying, particularly for back road attack driving as changing up and down does upset the balance of the car.

I suspect your usage wont be like mine and you, like most others, will find it fine, but please drive a few so you can tell a good box from a bad one.

Colin knows how to adapt the boxes so worse case he can sort it,

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I have said it so many times now on here that I refuse to say it again, but I will:D if you go out in the car and reset the fill times for up and down shift, these boxes are perfect, Malc no,s, he went out in my R,classes a few times.......

Still waiting for you to come and sort my ML. Frankly, I'm not brave enough to fiddle with this sort of adjustment myself!

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I have to agree with you Cole, there is not that much difference in the price of a low mileage 07 car to a 09, as the years go by the price difference gets lost, or nearly. So I will stop thinking about gear boxes :D:D and just back to the colour, thinking of a black one has brought up a very nice one :D

Jodel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde Auto
I wish I wasn't so far away from Cole!

My 7g was fine apart from a harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st when cold - but only when cold. Other than that I really liked the 'box as it was very smooth. I had the latest software update done in March and this completely fixed the 2nd to 1st problem. Unfortunately the rest of the changes now are not as good as they were previously with some unpleasant lurching at low speed as the TC lock-up engages. These 'boxes do seem to need someone who can do more than press a button on a STAR machine to get them to perform properly.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Still waiting for you to come and sort my ML. Frankly, I'm not brave enough to fiddle with this sort of adjustment myself!

Whimp!!!

Will do it on the way to SPA.......

If we get out there this year!!!!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Last edited:

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I drove a 05 7 speed for a yr no problem then got a 07 7 speed it dove me insane every day was different held on to the gears too long jumped from 2 to 1 with a bump ,got oil and filter changed twice got it on a star machine with an indie thought it was solved then 3 days later bad again took to mercedes they found no faults even though my mls per gallon on the same trip each day due to the gearbox would vary one day 28 mpg next day 39 mpg .I m o these are a bad box i know of a friend selling a 07 and a 06 e320s because they have spent hrs in and out of main dealers and still not sorted. I think they have a mind of there own ,, because of the bad changes its costing me around £30 a wk more in fuel than it should if it stayed smooth as it does a few days a wk. I am constantly pushing it up and down through the gears it might as well be a manual.
So my advce is my 05 was great but i would arrange a few test drives on different days as my 07 changed so much from one day to the next ,you can see how many questions i asked about mine since i bought it 6 mths ago.
Get a good one great get a bad one you will be pulling your hair out.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I think I must have been lucky with the two 7 speed boxes I had..
My 54 plate SL500 had one and so did the 57 plate E320 Cdi. Both of them ran without a hitch..(or hickup).
My only observation was the half arsed design for changing / checking the ATF levels..

At Motorway speeds they were unbelievable when it came to overtaking..

Generally the changes were super smooth and seemless..

Despite that I still say that there is no way a powerful Diesel needs 7 speeds...

The 5 speed isnt perfect by any means... There is far too big a gap between 2nd and 3rd gears and too narrow a gap between 4th and 5th..
So stop the rose tinted views of the 5 speed boxes.. They are good but not perfect.

In an ideal world the 5 speeds would have had the ratios revised..

Would I have another 7 speed ??
Yes I would because I personally havent had a problem with them.:)

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

Absolutely. My in R Class you only knew when the gear changed by watching the rev counter.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Agree mostly by what has been said about the 7 speed when its good its great ,,, but did the problem arise when mercedes said the transmission fluid only needed changed at 38000 mls and that was it for life ( mine was done at 39000 by mb and i had to go to a indie for a futher chnage at 79000 then when i still had problems mb did it for £212 this made no difference either from then on i was on my own as it showed no faults on there machine) so i still have problems with mine and it changes from smooth and silky changes for a few days then starts to over rev and jumps when changing gear . Its so bad i have bought a citreon for running around in and only use the e280 cdi on long trips motorways etc

Last edited:

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Agree mostly by what has been said about the 7 speed when its good its great ,,, but did the problem arise when mercedes said the transmission fluid only needed changed at 38000 mls and that was it for life ( mine was done at 39000 by mb and i had to go to a indie for a futher chnage at 79000 then when i still had problems mb did it for £212 this made no difference either from then on i was on my own as it showed no faults on there machine) so i still have problems with mine and it changes from smooth and silky changes for a few days then starts to over rev and jumps when changing gear . Its so bad i have bought a citreon for running around in and only use the e280 cdi on long trips motorways etc

I only had the ATF changed once on the SL500..
The E320 had been done recently before I acquired it..
I too change (or intend to) change the ATF every 40k
I have heard many ill content owners of the 7 speed so I can only assume I was lucky with mine..

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for all the of the post, at least I know what to look out for, the torque on a petrol is a little different in the low rev band.

Top Bottom