94 w124 220te

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
when i open or close the tailgate i can hear a buzzing noise from the lock area but is still seems to lock ect via the key & central locking ? any ideas

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>i can hear a buzzing noise

Is this over and above the normal noise caused by the door closure motor?

OP
R

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
>>i can hear a buzzing noise

Is this over and above the normal noise caused by the door closure motor?

do you think it's the soft close system if so do all the later 124 est have it as when i use the russian site with my vin it's not on the list but i did see a post a few days ago re a 95 te with it & that was the first i had heard of it & my last est was a 86 & i don't think it had it

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
our 88 te had it

and aside from the wiper motor, it's the only thing in there with a motor. So it's probably one of them making the noise.

Mercedes 190E

Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2013 C220 CDI, 2004 A140 Classic SE (Parents!)
do you think it's the soft close system if so do all the later 124 est have it as when i use the russian site with my vin it's not on the list but i did see a post a few days ago re a 95 te with it & that was the first i had heard of it & my last est was a 86 & i don't think it had it

As far as I know, ALL TEs have the self closer.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Hi Roofless---A word of caution !! The wiring to the motor is subject to wear --(opening and closing) also as you will know by now you dont slam the tailgate -also damages self closer and can dislodge the harness wires---make sure the motor is turning off when its closed!--if its buzzing unplug the connection and use it manually until you sort it out --if its buzzing and then followed by a burning smell --then you are too late and you need a new motor--

Last edited:
OP
R

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
Hi Roofless---A word of caution !! The wiring to the motor is subject to wear --(opening and closing) also as you will know by now you dont slam the tailgate -also damages self closer and can dislodge the harness wires---make sure the motor is turning off when its closed!--if its buzzing unplug the connection and use it manually until you sort it out --if its buzzing and then followed by a burning smell --then you are too late and you need a new motor--
it might be it was unpluged in my 86-te but it was some years ago this car i got at auction & it came with only mot+log book so i dont have a owners manual so prob the best thing to do is have a look & unplug it if need be

Reaction score
Mine buzzes aswell; it's the soft close motor.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
To test the motor you just put the tail door onto half catch and the motor should pull it closed. The micro switches can get dirty contacts. I have all of the details if anyone wants then on how to remove and set up

OP
R

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
i have taken the panal off to have a look & operate the latch manually to find it very hard to start the cycle so i used wd40 see if it will ease up.

DenisM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T reg E300 (excellant) L reg 220TE (My first merc and loving it)
When I close boot I get a high pitched wine sometimes. It stops after about 30 seconds and car appears locked ok.

Can I have details on cleaning please Television ?

Denis

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
That sounds like the normal noise the closer will make Denis ? It should visibly move the door in tight and the motor is heard while it does so.

OP
R

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
mine is working well now but as i have a other est car non mb i tend to slam it shut :Oops:eek:ld habits die hard

DenisM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T reg E300 (excellant) L reg 220TE (My first merc and loving it)
That sounds like the normal noise the closer will make Denis ? It should visibly move the door in tight and the motor is heard while it does so.

This noise sounds after door has locked in tight, does not happen everytime, I can't get a pattern yet.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom