98 E430 Wierd Electrical Problem

tommy_ace

New Registration
Reaction score
This is driving me crazy. Randomly, different electrical things stop working (power windows & seats, power sunroof, etc.). They fail independantly at different times (except for things that are on the same circuit, i.e driver power window and power seat). It has even happended with the wipers and the trunk lid release, just not as frequent as the windows/seats. If I pull out the fuse for the circuit that no longer works and put the same one back in, everything on that circuit will start working fine (at least for a few days). Pulling out and putting back in the same fuse will only fix the problem if the ignition is on, it will not work with the key off. Removing the battery terminal and replacing it after a few seconds will also fix the problem. A brand new battery did not keep the problem from resurfacing. My Benz mechanic has no idea. Help!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
this sounds like a rear window motor fault. this may sound unlikely to you, but i speak from considerable experience. the scenario is rear window motor/controllers (all in one on this car) corrupt the can bus causing various modules to drop out, until they are powered down and reset. the easiest thing for your mechanic to do is a can bus test on high and low speed bus, or failing that simply unplug both rear window motors.

good luck with that!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have heard that one too Alex, not a very big SAM circuit on this car unless that is contaminated,,I can look in the morning

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom