KillerHERTZ

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
W463 G55 AMG
Mercedes-Benz details 9G-TRONIC nine-speed automatic transmission - photos

Stuttgart. The first nine-speed automatic transmission with torque converter, the 9G-TRONIC for premium vehicles, is celebrating its world premiere: equipped with the innovative power transmission, the E 350 BlueTEC is set to become one of the most fuel-efficient six-cylinder diesel models in its class. Thanks to the high level of efficiency of the patented transmission design, NEDC fuel consumption in the E-Class is reduced to 5.3 litres of diesel per 100 km. As is typical of the brand, the transmission features outstanding comfort and barely perceptible gear changes. The E 350 BlueTEC featuring the 9G-TRONIC as standard is available to order with immediate effect. Despite the extended scope of functions, the pricing for both the Saloon and Estate models remains unchanged.
In the E 350 BlueTEC, which is available as Saloon and Estate models and comes fitted with the new 9G-TRONIC as standard, the 185 kW (252 hp) V6 diesel engine has an average NEDC fuel consumption of 5.3 litres of diesel per 100 kilometres (Estate: 5.5 l/100 km), corresponding to CO2 emissions of 138 g/km (Estate: 144 g/km). As a result, the new models with 9G-TRONIC undercut their predecessors in terms of both consumption and CO2 emissions. The higher number of gears and the broader gear ratio spread help to increase drive comfort and enable a significant enhancement to be achieved in terms of converting engine power into traction.
Perfect interaction: E 350 BlueTEC with V6 diesel engine and 9G-TRONIC
On the one hand, the overall reduction in engine speed improves NVH comfort and therefore the pleasant sense of well-being on board the E-Class, and on the other also cuts down external noise by up to 4 dB(A), thus reducing the strain on the environment.
The reduced fuel consumption of the E 350 BlueTEC with 9G-TRONIC has primarily been achieved as a result of the high level of efficiency of the transmission. As part of this, the broad ratio spread of 9.15 for gears one to nine enables a clearly perceptible reduction in engine speed and is a decisive factor behind the high level of energy efficiency and ride comfort. Shortened shift and reaction times ensure optimum spontaneity combined with outstanding ease of shifting. In manual mode and the S programme in particular, the 9G-TRONIC responds significantly more spontaneously and enhances driving pleasure.
The particular ease of shifting of the new 9G-TRONIC – a focal point during development and a hallmark feature of a Mercedes-Benz automatic transmission - comes courtesy of a comprehensive package of measures. These include the novel direct control system which enables short, barely perceptible gear changes. The combination of double torsional damper and centrifugal pendulum technology in the torque converter ensures outstanding drive comfort. Together with the extended gear ratio spread, higher speeds can now be driven at lower engine speeds for even greater comfort. In reality this translates for example into being able to drive at 120 km/h in 9th gear with an engine speed of around only 1350 rpm.
Advanced technology for superior power transmission
In the case of the 9-speed automatic transmission, the development engineers also focused on the area of "compact lightweight construction". Despite two additional gears and a maximum transferable torque of up to 1000 Newton metres, the new automatic transmission requires as little installation space as its predecessor and, in addition, is lighter. The two-piece housing design has been retained: the torque converter housing is made of lightweight aluminium, while the transmission housing with weight-optimised plastic oil pan is made of an even lighter magnesium alloy.
Another goal was to implement the nine gears with a minimal number of planetary gear sets and shift elements. Intensive, computer-based system analysis and mock-up made it possible to realise this goal with just four simple planetary gear sets and six shift elements. Three speed sensors monitor operation and provide the transmission control system with corresponding data for effective shifting. Here it is possible for several gears to be jumped when accelerating or decelerating, should the driving conditions call for it.
To ensure the reliable and at the same time highly efficient supply of the durable and shear-resistant 2nd-generation synthetic fuel economy engine oil, the new automatic transmission is fitted with two pumps. The considerably smaller mechanical main pump, featuring an off-axis design, is located next to the main shaft and is chain-driven and fed by a separate electric auxiliary pump. This design enables the flow of lubrication and coolant to be controlled actively on demand and also means that the 9G-TRONIC can benefit from a start/stop system. Thanks to the world's first direct control system in a planetary automatic transmission with nine gears, it has also been possible to significantly increase hydraulic efficiency within the transmission.
Around 22 million automatic transmissions from Mercedes-Benz since 1961
Mercedes-Benz has been developing and producing high-quality automatic transmissions featuring outstanding ease of shifting, optimum energy efficiency and dependable durability for more than 50 years. To date, a total of around 22 million automatic passenger car transmissions have left the manufacturing plant at Stuttgart-Hedelfingen, close to the Group's headquarters in Stuttgart-Untertürkheim.
The 9G-TRONIC is suitable for rear-wheel and all-wheel drives as well as hybrid and plug-in hybrid drive systems and will be used in almost all model series and engines in the coming years.
The E 350 BlueTEC fitted with the 9G-TRONIC as standard is available to order as Saloon or Estate models with immediate effect. As such the benefits of the new automatic transmission are being passed on to customers at no extra cost. The market launch will take place in September 2013.
Prices for Germany (incl. 19% VAT):

E 350 BlueTEC Saloon 54,710.25 euros
E 350 BlueTEC Estate 57,923.25 euros
Mercedes-Benz E 350 BlueTEC Saloon (9G-TRONIC)
Engine
Number of cylinders/arrangement V6, 4 valves per cylinder
Displacement cc 2987
Bore x stroke mm 83.0 x 92.0
Rated output kW/hp 185/252 at 3600 rpm
Rated torque Nm 620 at 1600-2400 rpm
Compression ratio 15.5:1
Mixture formation High-pressure fuel injection with common-rail technology, VNT turbocharger, EDC
Power transmission
Transmission 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission
Gear ratios Final-drive ratio
1st gear
2nd gear
3rd gear
4th gear
5th gear
6th gear
7th gear
8th gear
9th gear
Reverse 2.24

Chassis and suspension
Front axle Independent multi-link front suspension, coil springs, twin-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, anti-roll bar
Rear axle Independent multi-link rear suspension, coil springs, single-tube shock absorbers, anti-roll bar
Braking system Internally ventilated and perforated disc brakes at front, internally ventilated disc brakes at rear, electric parking brake, ABS, Brake Assist, ESP®
Steering Electromechanical rack-and-pinion power steering
Wheels 7.5 J x 16
Tyres 225/55 R 16 W
Dimensions and weights
Wheelbase mm 2874
Track, front/rear mm 1583/1599
Length (overall) mm 4879
Width (overall) mm 1854
Height (overall) mm 1475
Turning circle m 11.28
Boot capacity max.* l 490
Kerb weight acc. to EC kg 1885
Payload kg 555
Gross vehicle weight kg 2440
Tank capacity/incl. reserve of l 59.0/8.0
Performance and fuel consumption
Acceleration 0-100 km/h sec. 6.6
Top speed km/h 250
Combined fuel consumption l/100 km 5.3 - 5.6
CO2 emissions g/km 138 - 148

*acc. to VDA measuring method
Mercedes-Benz E 350 BlueTEC Estate (9G-TRONIC)
Engine
Number of cylinders/arrangement V6, 4 valves per cylinder
Displacement cc 2987
Bore x stroke mm 83.0 x 92.0
Rated output kW/hp 185/252 at 3600 rpm
Rated torque Nm 620 at 1600-2400 rpm
Compression ratio 15.5:1
Mixture formation High-pressure fuel injection with common-rail technology, VNT turbocharger, EDC
Power transmission
Transmission 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission
Gear ratios Final-drive ratio
1st gear
2nd gear
3rd gear
4th gear
5th gear
6th gear
7th gear
8th gear
9th gear
Reverse 2.24

Chassis and suspension
Front axle Independent multi-link front suspension, coil springs, twin-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, anti-roll bar
Rear axle Independent multi-link rear suspension, air springs, twin-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, anti-roll bar
Braking system Internally ventilated and perforated disc brakes at front, internally ventilated disc brakes at rear, electric parking brake, ABS, Brake Assist, ESP®

Steering Electromechanical rack-and-pinion power steering
Wheels 7.5 J x 16
Tyres 225/55 R 16 W
Dimensions and weights
Wheelbase mm 2874
Track, front/rear mm 1583/1604
Length (overall) mm 4905
Width (overall) mm 1854
Height (overall) mm 1507
Turning circle m 11.28
Boot capacity max.* l 1855
Kerb weight acc. to EC kg 1955
Payload kg 595
Gross vehicle weight kg 2550
Tank capacity/incl. reserve of l 59.0/8.0
Performance and fuel consumption
Acceleration 0-100 km/h sec. 6.9
Top speed km/h 250
Combined fuel consumption l/100 km 5.5 - 5.7
CO2 emissions g/km 144 - 150
*acc. to VDA measuring method

17941548052047151315.jpg

13919960081688745603.jpg

OP
KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
W463 G55 AMG
Admin, please can you enable tables so that the data is displayed correctly? Ta

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
The 8 speed Jag/BMW box has won many plaudits - let's hope this is as good.

I wonder what the AMG models will use, as they currently have a DCT, not a torque converter based system.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It certainly sounds good, my 7g is so good, so it could be on the new S class as well next year. Is there any need though on the petrol's where the torque band is not so tight

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
great info Karl , Thanks:D

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
The 8 speed Jag/BMW box has won many plaudits - let's hope this is as good.

I have a couple of friends with Jaguar XF's and they would agree with you John..
The ZF 8 speed auto is regarded as one of the best autos in the business..
ZF are German so I wonder why Mercedes did there own thing re gearbox ??

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
as i posted on another link here, the 9G box was supposed to be out this year on the new E class, Das Built (german car mag) Run a report on it last September.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Just have to wait for Lexus to do a 10 speed now!!!!

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Let's hope they properly test the tcu. We have had so many failures sometimes waiting months for parts.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Always avoid the first batch of anything new.

I like the idea of 1400rpm at 75mph but I reckon it'll hunt up and down the box with many gears. IMHO MB never got 7g right really so I'm not holding out much hope but credit to them for engineering their own. ZF have got a 9g one appearing in an Evoque.

If it takes up no more room than 7g which takes up no more room than 5g, will it not be really weak or have issues with cooling?

Will it be able to skip gears out like the ZF 8g?

Last edited:

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
How about CVT instead of ever-increasing gears ............. or is that a step too far! ;)

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
CVT is a great technology but a lot of people find the constant RPM a bit droning. Particularly with modern 4 clyinder powerplants it would make for an unpleasant car. The keeping the rpm low and a slight change of pitch is what more people like

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
CVT is a great technology but a lot of people find the constant RPM a bit droning. Particularly with modern 4 clyinder powerplants it would make for an unpleasant car. The keeping the rpm low and a slight change of pitch is what more people like

the problem is though, with ever increasing gear numbers, you get nearer to the point of it being a CVT anyhow, and with 75mph at 1400RPM, if travelling at LEGAL speeds, will these cars ever be able to use 9th gear, and will they remain in 9th when they do so?

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
the problem is though, with ever increasing gear numbers, you get nearer to the point of it being a CVT anyhow, and with 75mph at 1400RPM, if travelling at LEGAL speeds, will these cars ever be able to use 9th gear, and will they remain in 9th when they do so?

Martin thinks he would have needed 9th gear or his 9th life if he could have got one

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Martin needs CVT with no upper limit!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Martin needs 11G and some sort of invisibility cloak to escape the rozzers

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I need educating on the need for loads of gears, I think it's more negative than positive.

1st, there has to be more chance of failure as these things become more complicated,
then any failure is likely to be more expensive when out of warranty. OK I can see the plus there for MB.
They tend to put more gears in the cars with more power, surely the extra gear principle is to compensate for the lack of torque enabling the engine to stay where optimum torque is available.
My mo mo has max torque from 1,600 to 3,800 revs I believe. In top that's a speed range of 64 to 154mph and even in lower gears is a flippin wide speed range. Why the need for the extra gears to find the torque that's there anyway ?

All the extra gear changing must have some adverse effect on fuel economy.

C'mon experts help me see this one.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
By the engine operating in the best torque band the economy should be better, if the changes are very quick like F1 cars then they could be better on fuel, but any amount saved must be miniscule. I never notice any change on my 7g box. The other point is in traffic torque does not come into it.

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
By the engine operating in the best torque band the economy should be better, if the changes are very quick like F1 cars then they could be better on fuel, but any amount saved must be miniscule. I never notice any change on my 7g box. The other point is in traffic torque does not come into it.

I have 620Nm peak torque in my car - and that figure does not drop below 500Nm from about 1200-4000 rpm.

Why on earth do I need 7 gears (let alone 9)? I'm sure 4 would do!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom