A Class Gearbox Module Replacement

gmitchell77

Reaction score
I apologise if this has been discussed before but I could not see a similar issue from my search.

I have a A140 Automatic that has gone in to safety mode (whereby no gear change is possible and restricted drive is experienced).

My local mechanic, who is pretty good at diagnosing problems stripped the gearbox and managed to rectify the problem. Alas, 25 miles later the same problem occurred. After liaising with Mercedes the mechanic has come to the conclusion the gearbox module unit needs replacing. I have been advised a new unit needs to come directly from Mercedes and paired with each specific car. Cost wise, I have been quoted in excess of £3,000.

What makes it worse is the car has only done 25,000 miles and being 7 years old probably isn't worth much more once running.

Does anyone have any suggestions about getting it repair in the Cheshire/South Manchester area?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
This is a common fault, we did one last friday, apart from the cost, i have to agree with what you have said above!

What did he do the first time??

Welcome to the forums!

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
The ECU or module for the gearbox is £1065 + vat and then labour to fit , there isnt a quick fix once these boxes fail, ive just broken A A190 because of the same fault.

jib

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
The ECU or module for the gearbox is £1065 + vat and then labour to fit , there isnt a quick fix once these boxes fail, ive just broken A A190 because of the same fault.

jib

And what a nice job you did of it Jib!!!:D:D:D

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Loved it 2 days flat to break an A class sadly my 220te has gone the same way, Ive just started renting a unit which could hold about 6 mercs!!!

jib

Nice move, you did tell me the other week when i spoke to you, Glad you have now got a good size unit, makes life so much better Jib!!

OP
G

gmitchell77

Reaction score
Many thanks for your responses, even if they are not exactly what I want to hear.

SAM, you say apart from the cost you'd agree. What would you suggest is a reasonable cost for such a repair? Can anyone also recommend somewhere close by?

It seems a shame to give up on it with such a low milage but its not worth much more once fixed.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Many thanks for your responses, even if they are not exactly what I want to hear.

SAM, you say apart from the cost you'd agree. What would you suggest is a reasonable cost for such a repair? Can anyone also recommend somewhere close by?

It seems a shame to give up on it with such a low milage but its not worth much more once fixed.

Sorry but the best thing to do is find a tree and hit it.

jib

MB Service Centre

Reaction score
Website
www.mbservicecentremansfield.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A210 E320
Hi the cost is round the £1000,for the hcu and i would think your local mb place would charge about 2.5 hours to carry out the change. What is actually was the fault first time round? how dose it drive and when dose it go into limp home mode? what speeds and what gear do you think it gets into before the fault? have just finished my 4th a class box rebuild since opening my doors 4 months ago and one still to do!! not a good advert for the a class is it?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Hi the cost is round the £1000,for the hcu and i would think your local mb place would charge about 2.5 hours to carry out the change. What is actually was the fault first time round? how dose it drive and when dose it go into limp home mode? what speeds and what gear do you think it gets into before the fault? have just finished my 4th a class box rebuild since opening my doors 4 months ago and one still to do!! not a good advert for the a class is it?

Its not MB finest car ever made!!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Its not MB finest car ever made!!

but if we are honest, it doesnt even look like an MB. its a door wedge with the power going to the wrong end! MB's are rear drive saloons and estates, mile munchers, not a shrunk down VW sharan looking item with a star at each end!

OP
G

gmitchell77

Reaction score
Ironically the two times it has gone wrong on me (the third was with the mechanic on a test drive) it was doing about 40-50mph on the same stretch of road.

The tree idea seems the best to be honest, although in limp mode I doubt I could do enough damage for a write off!!!

MB Service Centre

Reaction score
Website
www.mbservicecentremansfield.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A210 E320
Hi, you say it has been stripped and repaired? what did they find/replace.
I take it, it drives ok untill about 40-50 then the fault comes on?

If you cant get enough speed up to write it off then i am sure you can find a cliff edge somewhere? lol
But i am sure there is no need to do that, faults are there to be fixed!! most cases anyway!

stu2009

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 112 cdi
Is it possible to get the unit repaired by someone like ecu doctor? You wouldnt need to pay for pairing then.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Never had one repaired, does it always fail in the same gear, forth gear is sometimes a problem and also one of the clutch baskets splits making it go failsafe.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom