A Class Intermittent Starting

Phil5698

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2008 1.5 Auto
Hi,

My in-laws have an A-Class 1.5 Petrol Auto 2008 and it's developed an intermittent starting problem. When the problem occurs the engine doesn't attempt to start. Everything lights up as it should when the ignition is switched on, but it won't attempt to turn over. It seems to happen not from cold but after a run. Which kind of makes it worse because they're out somewhere and not at home when it happens.

The first time the AA came out and although by the time they got there it was starting they sold them a battery. This hasn't cured it. It's happened a few times since and after some time it just starts.

I've read a bit about potential ignition switch problems or starter motor issues. However, I'm not really sure how to advise them to move forward. Would a diagnostics check help to point out an ignition switch problem? Is there an easy test to see if the starter motor is on the way out- which seems like it'll be a nightmare in labour if it is :/ ?

If it's not something I can check/diagnose myself, does anybody know somewhere in the Solihull / West Midlands area who could diagnose the problem? My concern with it being intermittent, is that that it won't be that easy to replicate/diagnose and they will end up blindly throwing money (that they haven't got) at parts/fixes to get it sorted.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had exact same symptoms - car won't start until the engine cools down a bit, happened twice - the second time at a Shell forecourt after a long drive, and I looked rather comical, I suppose, with an open bonnet running around the car waving my hands trying to cool it down (okay, maybe just standing by looking crossed, but still).

The next day, I took it to Terry at Wayne Gates Mercedes, he diagnosed a starter problem and replaced it with a genuine OEM part.

That was almost two years ago - never a hint of hesitation starting the engine ever since.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom