A Class Reverse Lights

Tane003

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W245
Thanks,
I made it for w245, but I believe it goes to w169 as well as spare parts fit to both.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Dunky2k

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 1999
Hi,
Old post, but I still anwer if it help someone else sufferings this issue.
So, when removing switch you NEED TO HAVE REVERSE GEAR ON.
If not, one lever will drop to wrong position and will be damaged when new new switch is installed. Light will be on constantly and fifth gear wont go in.

However, you can recover from this situation without removing gearbox. At least I did.

1. Select neutral gear
2. Remove switch
3. Use pen magnet or some stick to push lever back up thru switch hole. (Extreamly challenging, but few hours of practice makes you master)
4. When holding lever up, ask assistant to push reverse gear on.
5. Remove magnet or stick
6. Install switch.
7. (Optional) if now you can get fifth gear on, but still reverse light stays constantly on lever is damaged.
You can solve this by adjusting height of switch by adding extra spacer.

I did spend one frustrating day solving this, so I hope this helps some else...

Hi Tane003,

I have this exact same problem and have been advised that i'll probably require a new gearbox. For the age of my car its not going to be worth it, However saying that i'd be prepared to try your method above, no harm.

Point 3 above, can you possibly expand on this in whats required? I can see the hole once the switch has been removed but where is this lever? is it visible, do you have any pictures or other medium showing this process?
Not too technical when it comes to engines, so not sure what i should be looking for.
Thanks in advance.

Duncan

Tane003

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W245
Hi Duncan,

You can see only part of lever, as this sensor hole is small.
I used two metal stick, diameter around 4mm.
You can use those to push /inch lever up.
Push to cockpit direction.
Sorry, no picture and I do not want to open it anymore

Bobinga

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A150/2005
Hi,
Old post, but I still anwer if it help someone else sufferings this issue.
So, when removing switch you NEED TO HAVE REVERSE GEAR ON.
If not, one lever will drop to wrong position and will be damaged when new new switch is installed. Light will be on constantly and fifth gear wont go in.

However, you can recover from this situation without removing gearbox. At least I did.

1. Select neutral gear
2. Remove switch
3. Use pen magnet or some stick to push lever back up thru switch hole. (Extreamly challenging, but few hours of practice makes you master)
4. When holding lever up, ask assistant to push reverse gear on.
5. Remove magnet or stick
6. Install switch.
7. (Optional) if now you can get fifth gear on, but still reverse light stays constantly on lever is damaged.
You can solve this by adjusting height of switch by adding extra spacer.

I did spend one frustrating day solving this, so I hope this helps some else...

HI, I have same problem after replacing the reverse switch (A150 - 2005 model) , It is always ON. I doubt if the mechanic of the local shop DID NOT PUT THE REVERSE GEAR WHILE CHANGING THE SWITCH. I took a video of what I am seeing through the hole of reverse switch in the gear box. Can you tell if it is is the rectangle metal piece I am seeing inside is the one I should Pull up? (Or should I rotate or push it to side?) (Please take a look at the uploaded video) I have not touched it yet as it is inside the gearbox and I dont want to remove the gearbox for repair as it will cost lot. Any other suggestions are alo welcome. I have uploaded the video of the switch hole .

Attachments

• Reverse light switch hole.jpg
    Reverse light switch hole.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 0

Bobinga

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A150/2005
Hi Tane003,

I have this exact same problem and have been advised that i'll probably require a new gearbox. For the age of my car its not going to be worth it, However saying that i'd be prepared to try your method above, no harm.

Point 3 above, can you possibly expand on this in whats required? I can see the hole once the switch has been removed but where is this lever? is it visible, do you have any pictures or other medium showing this process?
Not too technical when it comes to engines, so not sure what i should be looking for.
Thanks in advance.

Duncan
Hi Duncan,
Did you solve the problem? I have also the same problem and waiting for a reply from Tane003. I have posted the deteiled description with picture and video of the in the reply to Tane003 below. If you solve it can you help me? Thanks

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom