A-class semi auto fault

meanie

Reaction score
I have an A160 (2001) coming in next week that 'allows you to select gear but nothing happens'.
My problem is that I'm flat out work wise & have an urgent house renovation to get done before Easter,so my time is very limited at the moment.So,are there any common failures that I can check first in an effort to save myself time??
Grateful for any thoughts at all on this.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is it a normal 722.701 box as nothing listed,,I do not know much about them

OP
M

meanie

Reaction score
Is it a normal 722.701 box as nothing listed,,I do not know much about them

Me neither!!
It's basically a clutchless manual,but time is so tight at the moment that I could use a few pointers.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Join up with a Smart forum. Plenty of stuff on there about these boxes. Ours had a new clutch plate recently which cured a similar problem.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
The electronic selector at the top of the box tends to fail and yes its expensive to repair.

Its a manual box with the addons to make it clutchless.

Best go for a manual really.

jib

OP
M

meanie

Reaction score
Got the car today so can now expand.
Worked first thing then packed up after a few operations.
Replaced the brake light switch as there was an intermittant starter fault,but still no clutch (it doesn't appear to dissengage).
I then removed the actuator unit from under the wing & stripped it.Not much to see apart from the bushes look pretty worn out on the motor.Cleaned it out,reassembled & refitted it.Same thing happened-ok for a few operations then not dissengaging(F fault displayed on the dash).
Does this help?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OK the reason is that the clutch plate can stick to the flywheel due to resin evaporation.

I am sending to work sheets

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Our clutch plate swap cured the problems we had. Luckily MB paid 90% as they know it is such a common fault. Ours was out of warranty too.

OP
M

meanie

Reaction score
Checked at the bleed nipple & there is no fluid displacement.
Undid the actuator from under the wing & removed the slave cylinder-motor runs,but stops if you move the assembly around.Bolt the slave cylinder back on & there is no sign of life.
Judging from the amount of carbon in the unit when I stripped it the other day I'm pretty sure that the motor has died.Not available separately-£750 + vat.
Owners want rid now but may break.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=47777

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom