A-Class Tyre Pressures

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
Got my new A-Class yesterday (A160 petrol Blue Eff Avantgarde) and was a bit surprised by recommended tyre pressures in the fuel flap - 32 psi front and 38 rear. No mention on the sticker of varying pressures according to load, which struck me as unusual.

Car has 16-inch alloys (tyres Continental Premium Contact 195/55). These recommended pressures seem high for a small car (compared with 29 all round on my previous A Class with 15" wheels and 185/65 tyres.)
:confused:

Any observations gratefully received.

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apologies to moderator for posting in the wrong section - not for the first time,I may say.:(

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Well, I suppose I'll have to move it for you, again ...... :neutral:

:D :D No probs rhud :D

A180 Dream

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 Avantgarde SE Blue EFFICIENCY (1.7 Petrol)
Got my new A-Class yesterday (A160 petrol Blue Eff Avantgarde) and was a bit surprised by recommended tyre pressures in the fuel flap - 32 psi front and 38 rear. No mention on the sticker of varying pressures according to load, which struck me as unusual.

Car has 16-inch alloys (tyres Continental Premium Contact 195/55). These recommended pressures seem high for a small car (compared with 29 all round on my previous A Class with 15" wheels and 185/65 tyres.)
:confused:

Any observations gratefully received.

Yes that is correct.............I have run mine at that pressure for over a year with no problems and no excessive tyre wear.

I think the higher pressures are all part of the "Blue Efficiency" packageing.

Hope that you are enjoying your new car!

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for the tyre pressures confirmation, A180. As to the new car - very nice. I thought I was being extravagant going from Classic to Avantgarde,but there is no doubt about the extra 'polish' which the higher spec brings to the car.

Overall: the car seems even more solid and planted than the pre-08-facelift model, which is surprising given that they have allegedly reduced the weight as part of the BlueEfficiency business. Would say that the ride is 10 per cent better, though this may the effect of lighter alloy wheels as opposed to steels on my previous. Not aware they have fiddled with the suspension. Stop-start works well. (Although I was caught out on day1 by the need to depress the clutch pedal 'fully' before turning the key to start the engine - otherwise it doesn't.)

Avantgarde bits: Front centre armrest a bit pointless. Extra interior lights (foot well etc) great. Nice leather steering wheel/gear lever. Brushed aluminium trim v smart.

Extras: Park assist/parktronic. Parktronic bit of this works brilliantly for reversing etc. Not sure I have the nerve to put my faith in the Assist 'look no hands' parallel parking caper. Folding mirrors wonderful. Bigger-sized wing mirrors ditto. Two-way steering wheel adjustment excellent (though we shouldn't have to pay for it !)

All in all - great so far.

A180 Dream

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 Avantgarde SE Blue EFFICIENCY (1.7 Petrol)
Many thanks for the tyre pressures confirmation, A180. As to the new car - very nice. I thought I was being extravagant going from Classic to Avantgarde,but there is no doubt about the extra 'polish' which the higher spec brings to the car.

Overall: the car seems even more solid and planted than the pre-08-facelift model, which is surprising given that they have allegedly reduced the weight as part of the BlueEfficiency business. Would say that the ride is 10 per cent better, though this may the effect of lighter alloy wheels as opposed to steels on my previous. Not aware they have fiddled with the suspension. Stop-start works well. (Although I was caught out on day1 by the need to depress the clutch pedal 'fully' before turning the key to start the engine - otherwise it doesn't.)

Avantgarde bits: Front centre armrest a bit pointless. Extra interior lights (foot well etc) great. Nice leather steering wheel/gear lever. Brushed aluminium trim v smart.

Extras: Park assist/parktronic. Parktronic bit of this works brilliantly for reversing etc. Not sure I have the nerve to put my faith in the Assist 'look no hands' parallel parking caper. Folding mirrors wonderful. Bigger-sized wing mirrors ditto. Two-way steering wheel adjustment excellent (though we shouldn't have to pay for it !)

All in all - great so far.

The Park assist will take some time to get confident about..........I had mine for over 2 weeks before attempting the auto parallel park for the first time!

Find yourself a relatively quiet road with cars parallel parked and drive quite slowly past till the "P" with the arrow illuminates..........Then just follow the promts and remember you are in charge of the clutch and brake......Its simple and very effective........positioning to within 2 to 3 inches of the kerb!

When you get confident you may even try to park on the offside of the road.............but remember to do this you must have the Right hand turn indicator selected!

If you take things gently you cannot go wrong.............Happy parking!

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes that is correct.............I have run mine at that pressure for over a year with no problems and no excessive tyre wear.

I think the higher pressures are all part of the "Blue Efficiency" packageing.

Hope that you are enjoying your new car!

Have now decided that:

1. 'BlueEfficiency' tyre pressures are recommended to be whacked up to improve rolling resistance and help with fuel saving. (Pressures equate to maximum load settings on previous car - I almost never drive with maximum load)

2. I don't like the higher pressures because they adversely affect the ride

3. Have reverted to 30psi all round and will live with any adverse effect on mpg

If anyone thinks there are any safety issues arising from this - please speak now!

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
Seems strange to run them at the higher pressures all the time.

Our A class ( old model ) is 29/30 with little load or 32/38 when loaded up.

Surely running them at the higher pressures with no load will wear the centre of the tyres out quicker.

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Seems strange to run them at the higher pressures all the time.

Our A class ( old model ) is 29/30 with little load or 32/38 when loaded up.

Surely running them at the higher pressures with no load will wear the centre of the tyres out quicker.

I agree. I think MB are trying to get an impressive headline MPG figure with stop-start engines etc and the top end tyre pressures are another small ingredient in tha mix.

Trouble is that like many 'tall' cars (eg VW Golf Plus) the A Class suspension is on the firm side to stop it falling over when cornering and these big pressures firm it up even more.

The kwik fit tyre pressure search device (when I type in my reg no) comes up with 29psi all round.

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry to be like a dog with a bone with this but - I happened to see a handbook for a Vauxhall Meriva which offered three options for tyre pressures:

1 Normal
2 Loaded car with max passengers/luggage
3 'Eco' - for those wishing to maximise fuel economy (these were around 8psi higher than the 'normal' pressures)

This seems a more sensible approach as opposed to MB's 'whack up the pressures - take it or leave it'.

(As a side issue: the 'normal' pressures on my A Class seem to deal better with current weather conditions compared with the 'blue efficiency' pressures).

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom