A-Class W169 - What Do We Think?

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
Perhaps I am being over-sensitive,but I wouldn't mind betting that most A-Class owners think of themselves as the 'Cinderellas' of this excellent forum. 'Not a proper Mercedes' is the feeling one gets - perhaps with some justification?

So what do owners think of their A-Classes - especially the much-revised W169 - now available in the UK for upwards of 3 years - good and bad? I would be interested in views as part of this attempt to raise the profile of the A on the site.

NewMB

Reaction score
My wife have one, a C180 Cdi, which I think is a bit of a tractor but runs well and is very smooth when warm. Hard suspension on the Avantgarde model.

Enough oomph for anyone and sips fuel..... very versatile and easy to live with. Great space packaging inside.

Proper MB? Of course. :)

psmart

Reaction score
Mmmm! W168 - Avoid, just sold mine and since new (bought in the family, I took it over at 3 years, sold at 4.5), its had new Gearbox, ASR, Steering Rack, the innards fall apart (such as the rear brake light cover), steering had a perpetual 'missing zone' to it, it was course and rough and when I sold it, it had 52K on the clock. People on this forum warned me against them, but I didnt listen, and to my detriment, they were correct. Not a car I would recommend after having first hand experience. Was just lucky Merc were paying for everything as I had the Service Plus on it.

W169, I was looking at them prior to getting a Prius, and in a showroom they feel lush and when you test drive them with a sales rep in the car, you get a good impression, but after having a B-Class for 1 week, I wasnt as impressed, probably too many bad memories from the A140 and the ML270 so when the hired car had faults, I walked away (I was literally just about to sign the order when the ML blew up)!

jubhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport Coupe Brabus D6-III, A150 SE, Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
I recently bought one for my wife just 3 weeks ago, a 2008 A150 SE Auto. We drove to Leeds and back yesterday from Birmingham and I was very impressed. I just set it at 80mph on cruise and the ride was very smooth and returned decent mpg too.

My wife loves it in comparison to her previous car a 2005 Micra (her first car!!). The Merc quality and feel is definately there in the W169 whereas I was also told to avoid the W168 from an MB Technician I know very well.

So the answer to your question..... Yes it does feel like a proper Mercedes, a small one at that!!

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
We had a 180 diesel auto as a loan car and both thought it was a dog.
Guessing that the petrol engines are quieter and smoother in these small cars.

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
I'll never forget Jeremy Clarkeson shaking the whole dashboard of one just by using one hand in the area around the steering wheel. looked like it could be removed in minutes with one quick tug.

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
Don't remember that - but I do remember Clarkson saying in his Times review of the W169 that it was 'very,very good' - so long as you said no to any attempt to get you to go for chunky alloys and tyres.

I for my part I accept that even with 15" wheels the ride is firm-ish - but this is a very common complaint about modern small cars. ( A key reason, for instance, why What Car has only given 3 stars to the new Honda Jazz). I also drove a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 3 door recently - v similar dimensions - and that had v similar drive characteristics.

My only real complaint is that the paintwork seems v vulnerable to chips/scratches. Is A Class paint finish any different to other Mercedes? Otherwise an excellent small car with a very well-built feel.

jubhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'll never forget Jeremy Clarkeson shaking the whole dashboard of one just by using one hand in the area around the steering wheel. looked like it could be removed in minutes with one quick tug.

Just tried that on my wife's A-Class, can assure you it didn't budge ;)

jubhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ANYTHING is an improvement on a Micra - even a skateboard.!! :rolleyes:

Had the Micra from new in 2005, came with Air Con, Elec Windows, CD Player, Alloy Wheels, felt it was a perfect car for a new driver which it proved to be. In the 3 years we had it never gave any problems whatsoever. More reliable than your Polo's, Corsa's, Peugeot's and Fiesta's etc that we considered at the time. Also kept its value better than the others would have.

Don't know what planet you live on :confused:

However the A-Class is a nice little upgrade for her and it being an Auto makes the driving experience even better.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Had the Micra from new in 2005, came with Air Con, Elec Windows, CD Player, Alloy Wheels, felt it was a perfect car for a new driver which it proved to be. In the 3 years we had it never gave any problems whatsoever. More reliable than your Polo's, Corsa's, Peugeot's and Fiesta's etc that we considered at the time. Also kept its value better than the others would have.

However the A-Class is a nice little upgrade for her and it being an Auto makes the driving experience even better.

Couldn't agree more. We had a 5 ft aquarium, 5 ft base and 2 adults in ours and drove back from Heathrow. Couldn't do that in mine!

Splatt

Reaction score
Knowing Clarkson he had probably taken all the screws out first. In all respects I am happy with the way the A170 performs . Two years down two to go, If it is still trouble free till then I will give it an A+

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition

I live on Planet Earth..!!

I drove one ONCE - on highways, byways and motorways. Never been so scared in my life. The slightest breeze and away it went across the lanes (motorway) couldn't keep it in a straight line without constant steering-wheel correction. Seats were uncomfortable. A horrible little car. BUT, OK for popping to Tesco's in and tootling around town.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Is that to visit your Clients in?

No, my clients appreciate a little class.

I live on Planet Earth..!!

I drove one ONCE - on highways, byways and motorways. Never been so scared in my life. The slightest breeze and away it went across the lanes (motorway) couldn't keep it in a straight line without constant steering-wheel correction. Seats were uncomfortable. A horrible little car. BUT, OK for popping to Tesco's in and tootling around town.

But that is exactly what they are good for, the shopping runs and taking stuff to the dump and for that I think they're totally unbeatable. They are just a completely practicle city car and not for long distance.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
No, my clients appreciate a little class.

But that is exactly what they are good for, the shopping runs and taking stuff to the dump and for that I think they're totally unbeatable. They are just a completely practicle city car and not for long distance.

Good - we agree. Phew.!!

As for the Client angle - I was thinking more of the perception your Clients may have of you in these difficult times.

Back to Topic. Wasn't there an issue when the A-Class 1st came out when they tended to 'fall over' when swerving to avoid a moose?? Has that been solved, or did they simply ban mooses from going onto roads?

Last edited:

jubhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good - we agree. Phew.!!

As for the Client angle - I was thinking more of the perception your Clients may have of you in these difficult times.

Back to Topic. Wasn't there an issue when the A-Class 1st came out when they tended to 'fall over' when swerving to avoid a moose?? Has that been solved, or did they simply ban mooses from going onto roads?

You are getting confused with the W168 and that is the one you probably drove and yes that was horrible to drive.

The W169 however is much much better but yes I agree it is a town car and not really made for long motorway journeys hence it is the 2nd car in the house. However like I said before we did take it to Leeds over the weekend on a long run and I was very impressed by the little car. Wife will use it as a city car to and from work, shopping etc and for that I think it is perfect.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom