A-Class W169 - What Do We Think?

Splatt

Reaction score
Is it relevant that the paint complaints seem to be coming from those with black cars. Perhaps it is that particular pigment formulation that is the problem , Mine ( In silver ) apart from the bonnet has picked up no body nicks in 2 years apart from a supermarket trolley kiss on the bumper.

Last edited:

Maybe One Day

Reaction score
Changing the software -I'd have thought you would have know that considering what you do for a living;)

I know a lot about computers/technology, its all I think about most of the time but the term "chipping" can have many different meanings, generally it refers to opening up something like a computer and inserting a microchip or replacing one with another.

What advantages does chipping the A-Class' software have, though?

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
I know a lot about computers/technology, its all I think about most of the time but the term "chipping" can have many different meanings, generally it refers to opening up something like a computer and inserting a microchip or replacing one with another.

What advantages does chipping the A-Class' software have, though?

I suspect to try and give me a race;)

mastereng

Reaction score
Two more comments!

Paint
I think Splatt is probaly right and that the black is inferior to other metallics.
Chipping
My understanding is that the diesel engine in the A Class is the same capacity for A160,A180 and the now defunct A200 and that "tuning" which probably largely equates to chipping achieves the different power outputs. If you obtain a copy of "Diesel Car Magazine" it lists loads of tuning/chipping companies so a call to one of these would probably quickly determine what is possible.

mya160

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2001
Ah, its good to see that toffy nose seperatism is alive and well!

Is the A Class a true Mercedes Benz?

Should we even let them place posts on this site?

What a load of BS.

I own a driving school and we use W168 series A160's to teach students in. Automatics.

When I purchased them everyone laughed, now years later, with 6 different drivers every day for five days a week, 160,000km on the clock and the biggesst thing to go wrong with them has been a front lower wishbone ball joint wearing out.

The kids love them and I often describe the one I drive as :the most expensive go-kart I have ever owned."

Recently went around and drove most of the current crop of small cars on the market to a view of upgrading the fleet, none of the new small cars on the market have the amount of safety features as the A Class and none of them drove as good.

And, as for making A Class owners feel welcome on this site, Get Real

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I sold my S class when we decided we needed two cars. My motoring budget would cover one big car or two small ones. I ordered an A class (A180cdi Avantgarde) which arrived just before our annual motoring holiday; so we ended up taking the A class –instead of the S- for our trip to France and Spain, during which we did just over 3,000 miles in two weeks. To our surprise the A class took all our luggage, bowled along at plenty enough speed on the motorways, and was fun to drive on twisty turny country roads. And it did 50mpg to boot.

We were inpressed. So much so I came back and ordered another one for myself. We had them for a year and 15k miles, had no trouble and remained very impressed. We only changed to the E estate after falling for two puppies and needing the extra boot space.

Here’s what Clarkson said: -
“The first thing you’ll notice when you step inside is that this doesn’t feel like a cut-price Mercedes. There’s no sense of going to Barbados’s west coast and staying in a two-star hotel. You will find that the quality of the trim and the texture of the upholstery are pretty much exactly the same as they are on a £100,000 S-class.

Then there’s the size. This new A-class is bigger in every dimension than the original, so you’d expect more space. But not this much more. The back, in particular, is hugely roomy, and if you remove the rear seats completely — well, it’s a van.

It doesn’t look like one, though. I always rather liked the style of the first A-class but the new version is in a different league. The three-door model, especially, is the funkiest thing to have come out of Germany since . . . um. Crikey. I suspect it may be the funkiest thing to come out of Germany ever.”

And Autocar said: -
“The driving position is very adjustable, visibility’s good, and the cabin has a quality feel in both its construction and ambience. It’s also spacious and offers great versatility; there’s even an optional removable front passenger seat.

The new A-class is everything the old one should have been: an individual, practical, prestige-badged small car. And it’s a real Mercedes.”

Some A class links: -
A Class – Costs over 3 years
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=561855#post561855
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=45064
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=42833 An A Class to Spain and back
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=43044
Some Thoughts On The A Class
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=33319

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=37265

Pillartopost

Reaction score
I've had a W169 A170 Avantgarde in metallic red as a company car for about a year now. I had several motivations for choosing it; the space, the BIK costs and the fuel card that went along with it. Although the C180k sportscoupe it replaced was far better to drive, I'm not upset with my choice. Particularly when I remember I'm saving about a grand a year. I have the slatted power roof which is excellent. It almost feels like a drop top when its down. With the climate control and the British weather, it's not down a lot though. The leather interior I optioned is a little disappointing but the cargo lugging abilities are cavernous. It really is something of a tardis. It's not until you step outside that you realise how small it is.

This thread was started with the idea that the A class is not regarded as a "proper" Mercedes. My experience is that it that this is true - by people who don't drive a Mercedes. Maybe it was because the 180k was pretty from the front, but I find myself cut up a lot more by the rank and file. A great many road users seem to regard the A class with distain, which makes it all the more satisfying when they are outmuscled by one.

Good bits: Space, visibility, thoughtful little design touches, quality product that's easy to park and comfortable on long journeys.
Bad bits: Ride a bit stiff. Steering can be lifeless. Why no 6th gear on a 170? Paint marks easily*.

(*The brochure proudly proclaims MB use 30% less paint. I wish they hadn't.)

DREW1952

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 SE Classic
Proud to own it

My A180 CDI is my first experience of riding behind the three pointed star and I'm loving every minute! Maybe it's not as elegant as the classic MB shapes, but it is certainly practical and easy to park. Personally I have no qualms whatever about taking it on motorways, as I find it a calm, comfortable and economical cruiser. It's true that you have to be pretty quick to change down at hills, but when you look at it you find the top three of the six ratios are all overdrives. Certainly I have wondered about 'chipping', but it's early days yet and there's a service looming in a couple of months.

Chippychap

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180CDi ('55) Avantgarde Diesel
I have a 180CDi Avantgarde on a '55 plate.
It has less than 50k on the clock.
Love it to bits but think it is a bit gutless.
I live in W Yorkshire where hills were invented but, unless I build-up a real head of steam on hills, I regularly have to change into first. Less than 20mph is not uncommon with just two of us in it.
Is it normal for the model?

C

cc2507

I recently bought one for my wife just 3 weeks ago, a 2008 A150 SE Auto. We drove to Leeds and back yesterday from Birmingham and I was very impressed. I just set it at 80mph on cruise and the ride was very smooth and returned decent mpg too.

My wife loves it in comparison to her previous car a 2005 Micra (her first car!!). The Merc quality and feel is definately there in the W169 whereas I was also told to avoid the W168 from an MB Technician I know very well.

So the answer to your question..... Yes it does feel like a proper Mercedes, a small one at that!!

What MPG did you get?

Cliff Calvert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class A 150 Classic
I am running an A class A 150 on an 07 plate.
I think the transmission on this car is poor , and the suspension is too hard, but it is a nice car to drive although I thought that buying 'A Merc' would would give me years of satisfactory running , and not having to have the bl***y drive sensors repaired every year,and I am very dissapointed with Mercedes so called quality build ,as I read of many A Class owners having trouble with the sensors, because I thought that a company as big as Mercedes would have cracked the sensor problem by now (shame on you ) Mercedes.

iandsm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 1.6 SE 2009
A class

I have just purchased a used 180 CDI and like it very much. It is a little bumpy on poor roads and there is some tyre roar. It is fitted with 195/55R16 MO tyres and they are about 4MM at ghe moment. I was wondering whether to change them to 185/60 R16, probably Conti or similar. has anyone changed to the different size and if si was an improvement in ride/ noise noticed?

Last edited:

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
ive never really liked them tbh, breadvan styling, and the use of engines not native to mercedes [based on a peugeot diesel was it] didnt float my boat.

the second generation ones were an improvement, but in the face of the 1 series there wasnt really much competition, unless you hate BMWs and needed something less sporty.

the new one looks awesome though, bit of a shame its FWD! [mind you it wont get stuck in the snow lol]

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
My wife has had a 160cdi for the last 2 1/2 years and whilst its neither the most refined nor the quickest( by any imagination) it is a great town car she does about 8k per annum and the little thing is surprisingly spacious. Almost got caught by her wanting to upgrade as she thought the double wouldn't fit but it fits better than in my previous Audi a4!

Considering my e class is silver like hers the quality of finish is nowhere near as shiny as the w211 is.

Interior quality is pretty decent tbh

Remarkably has got 34k out of the set of mo tyres :shock:

Martin Jennings

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C204 250 CDi AMG Prem Plus, W168 A160 Elegance LWB
I use the other half's A140 for work occasionally and it's been ok for 4 years now apart from a couple of hiccups. More room in the company vehicle though! :)

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 17

iandsm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 1.6 SE 2009
Tyres

I have just changed the Pirelli tyres which had just under 4mm on them for Continentals of the same size MO approved. Cost was £329. I am delighted, its like a different vehicle. The ride is better, a little more forgiving on poor roads but perhaps more importantly, the tire roar had almost completely gone. I would thoroughly recommend them.:D

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
I have just changed the Pirelli tyres which had just under 4mm on them for Continentals of the same size MO approved. Cost was £329. I am delighted, its like a different vehicle. The ride is better, a little more forgiving on poor roads but perhaps more importantly, the tire roar had almost completely gone. I would thoroughly recommend them.:D

I also changed the tyres on my first (2007) A Class - from Kumho to Continentals - with similar results.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom