1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A CLS 55 AMG Unhappy Owner!

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by Mcobinad, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Mcobinad

Mcobinad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W219 Designo Black paint
    I remember at some point posting on here about how underpowered I thought my CLS 500 was. I was amazed to read from another forum this time from a member who complained about how underpowered his CLS 55 AMG was next to a friend's car which had only 30hp more than his 55 AMG. Quite interesting. Follow the thread: Here

2. st4

st4 Banned

Your Mercedes:
    Disqualified driver
    Some people are daft.

3. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Indeed they are Steve:D He could have bought a stop watch cheaper to start with

4. SL55 Mark

SL55 Mark Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 SL55 AMG
    Sounds like there was a fault with the 55. The pump that cools the charged air needs replacing. This is not uncommon.

5. st4

st4 Banned

Your Mercedes:
    Disqualified driver
    And get his car fixed...

6. teabag

teabag Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2001 W163 ML270 CDI
    What was the final outcome, I got as far as the fourth post and could not bring myself to go any further.:lol::lol:

7. OP
    Mcobinad

Mcobinad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W219 Designo Black paint
    The outcome is that he needs to change his inter cooler pump IC. Personally, I don't think that was the issue. These cars tend to lose HP as they age with time. He should also learn to accept that his friend's car is faster. The 55k engines are great but there are more capable cars than them on the road today. End of story.

8. Developer

Developer Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
    Me too - our Lizzy gets everywhere :).

9. drmw

drmw Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
    It shouldn't lose much, indeed as the engine "beds in" it should increase marginally - that mileage wasn't great. As stated, obviously a problem. BHP is only one part of the equation though.

First is weight of car - the heavier, the slower
    Then torque - the MB 55 is not short of that!
    Then the rev range in use vs peak torque revs - if its gone beyond, it will start to slow, if it's not yet there, ditto until it hits peak.

However, 30 bhp more is significant if all else equal.

My Aston is lower in BHP and torque than the SL55, but it weighs a whole lot less - net effect = not a big difference, but I have to make the engine work harder :D than the hugely powerful but lazy 55.

10. OP
    Mcobinad

Mcobinad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W219 Designo Black paint
    You made a great point that the 55K engine is not short of Torque, so I give you that. Very generally speaking, horsepower is responsible for speed and torque is responsible for acceleration. Now for less deceiving details, usually a force is a push or a pull on an object. Torque is a force associated with a twisting action like pushing on a wrench to tighten or loosen a bolt.

If the friend of this chap has 30 HP more and less Torque than the 55K, would that not give the CLS 55 with a higher Torque an edge? More HP and less Torque does not equate to being faster. Horse power is good in the end, but torque will get you off the line quick, therefore the CLS should have been quicker off the line. But then again, who am I to judge since the dude did not mention the Torque difference in both cars.