A day out in Brands Hatch in a Renault Clio 197

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
w201 190e 2.3 16/ 2.5 16 or an evo 1 would be my choice as you won't loose any money when you come to sell on.

I did this, 2.5-16. Not good enough for track use, soft suspension and it runs out of brakes. Plus it’s very expensive to try and upgrade anything. Went the bmw route as lots of race parts are available.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 amg, Renault G Espase 2.0Dci 175+, Megane 265 cup
Just look at whats on track, i had a mk2 Megane Renaultsport (320hp) and now have the mk3 265, not expensive cars to buy and parts aren't too expensive as there's a good aftermarket supply.

they are very good cars straight out of the box, cup chassis is the one to get if you can.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The best touring car championship in the world. Their best circuit being Mount Panorama :D:D:D

I went to the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide a couple of times - lovely seeing those V8s on a street circuit. Never got to Mt. Panorama.

I worked with a guy in Brisbane who did a monthly track day using a shared car (I don't recall what it was) with a tuned V8. He was a well paid engineer (proper engineer with 4 year degree) and he was constantly complaining about what it cost them to run the car. Tyres, brakes, blown engines etc get expensive quickly......

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Did the Nurburgring in 1968 in an army Land rover on off road tyres. So little power I didn't have to slow down on any of the bends.

......and you weren't worried about some numpty driving into you. I'm still trying to build the courage to take my car around.....not worried about my driving - I'm worried about the other idiots.

I've had my car (probably 20 laps) around the race circuit at Milbrook Proving Ground was exhilarating and stressful at the same time because, my car was only about 2 months old and I wasn't confident with it.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
......and you weren't worried about some numpty driving into you. I'm still trying to build the courage to take my car around.....not worried about my driving - I'm worried about the other idiots.

I've had my car (probably 20 laps) around the race circuit at Milbrook Proving Ground was exhilarating and stressful at the same time because, my car was only about 2 months old and I wasn't confident with it.

Do a trackday there, only 150 cars at the event. done it 4 times this year, wont be doing the tourist again

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Keep right and your indicator on and you’ll be fine. Many more cars went past me than I went past but I drove home...
There were quite a few Cooper S Works modified minis there, one uk one went straight past me and off at the first bend... not great (for him)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
And it's not raining in Spa ??

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
If you want to get into full racing for a budget then look at the MX5 (mk1) UK cup, you can happily do a full season for about £12k including the purchase of a prepped car.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spa is very nice, saw the Classic there in 2015, great weekend

Second time this year, did it 5 times last year, but Zandvoort got cancelled so this was the replacement.

Done well over 1000 miles around the track, it's a great track

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I've been on this game for a few years now. I built this BMW from parts in 2008, and have been all over the place with it. I know, I know, it's not a Mercedes, but BMW make better track cars...

Me having a nice tussle with a 500bhp Cobra (real one!) at Goodwood this summer

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Last ring track day, 6 red flags, 5 bmw's in the barrier and a AMG GT on its roof :shock:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Last ring track day, 6 red flags, 5 bmw's in the barrier and a AMG GT on its roof :shock:

Peter Delamere's GT. They were both very lucky. Peter spent a night in hospital for obs, but was fine. He was too far to the left for SX, and lifted the throttle. The car was relatively new to him, and I think he'd only gad a day at Brands prior. He had a v8 m3 before, and personally I think the transaxle weight in the rear of the AMG GT may have caught him out.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom