A day out in Brands Hatch in a Renault Clio 197

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 amg, Renault G Espase 2.0Dci 175+, Megane 265 cup
Peter Delamere's GT. They were both very lucky. Peter spent a night in hospital for obs, but was fine. He was too far to the left for SX, and lifted the throttle. The car was relatively new to him, and I think he'd only gad a day at Brands prior. He had a v8 m3 before, and personally I think the transaxle weight in the rear of the AMG GT may have caught him out.

That is one corner you don't lift off the throttle on, even the rear of mine slides if i lift and it's a fast corner.

Glad he's/they are alright, never heard anything about it after it happened

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I've been on this game for a few years now. I built this BMW from parts in 2008, and have been all over the place with it. I know, I know, it's not a Mercedes, but BMW make better track cars...

Me having a nice tussle with a 500bhp Cobra (real one!) at Goodwood this summer

ditto. :) CB943FE3-4D42-413F-8874-017BFC97CCF5.jpeg

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Ooh... Camo!
It blends so seamlessly into the background you'd never know that was there ;)
It bright to make sure people can see you coming and get out of the way. :D

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The trackday photography companies publish the photos as thumbnails. By having some distinguishing colours on your car saves opening every likely thumbnail to see if it is you. Particularly useful when you drive a grey BMW. That’s why my wheels are kawasaki green.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Nice to see there are a few trackies among us! Perhaps a future meetup could be at a track?

Anyway, can anybody recommend a good track focused forum? I have set myself a 5k budget to get a car track ready..

After a quick scout online, it looks like I will have £2k for a car, then another three for:
* Seats / Harness
* Brake pads + discs
* Braided brake lines
* Some heat management
* Wheels / tyres (Fancy slicks to complement some roadies, so would like wheels that will be a good platform for later upgrade)

The above is the initial plan, later on I would probably invest in a decent set of springs/shocks and slicks.

It would be good find a popular web forum, because I think some bits could be picked up used, like seats / belts.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Buy a second hand one as the bits will be done already and it's generally cheaper to buy one already done than build one (unless you have some trade connections...)

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Northloop.co.uk

They are a bit cliquey, but if you don’t start off as a bit of a know-all there’s a superb bunch on there.

I used to run a trackday at Goodwood every year, and some from here came along to that. There are pictures somewhere, if only the search function worked...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Buy a second hand one as the bits will be done already and it's generally cheaper to buy one already done than build one (unless you have some trade connections...)

Hmm, I had considered that.. I have seen a few. My main concern is that the engine and transmission might already be thrashed that bit harder. I wonder what the 197 engines in Clio are good for mileage wise?

Thanks for finding pics.. a nice browse for later. Not really that safe for work.. :rolleyes:

Northloop.co.uk

They are a bit cliquey, but if you don’t start off as a bit of a know-all there’s a superb bunch on there.

I used to run a trackday at Goodwood every year, and some from here came along to that. There are pictures somewhere, if only the search function worked...

Cool, I'll check out thanks.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmm, I had considered that.. I have seen a few. My main concern is that the engine and transmission might already be thrashed that bit harder. I wonder what the 197 engines in Clio are good for mileage wise?

Thanks for finding pics.. a nice browse for later. Not really that safe for work.. :rolleyes:

Cool, I'll check out thanks.

A Clio 197 would be good with just a decent set of tyres and front pads, there a bit slow on the straights but in the corners there quick, great for lift off oversteer ;)
then as your experience grows then do bits to it, the engine is very strong there is a problem with third gear on them though.

Get a R26 or a 225, its turbo'd so extra power is just a map away.
I bought a set of coilovers for mine for £715, 4 pot caliper brakes as standard and a very good track car for not a lot of money.

Have a look on here https://rsmegane.com/

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Clio 197 would be good with just a decent set of tyres and front pads, there a bit slow on the straights but in the corners there quick, great for lift off oversteer ;)
then as your experience grows then do bits to it, the engine is very strong there is a problem with third gear on them though.

Get a R26 or a 225, its turbo'd so extra power is just a map away.
I bought a set of coilovers for mine for £715, 4 pot caliper brakes as standard and a very good track car for not a lot of money.

Have a look on here https://rsmegane.com/

Thanks for this.. the Megane certainly does look the more forward thinking choice alright.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Im at Silverstone on the 15th Dec and Oulton on the 17th if your in the area :D

Oooh that would be cool..I might just be in the area :D

Is that a track day? Who is organising?

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Ooh that's nice.. I wouldn't mind being a passenger in that for a few grin laps.

How much would I pick up one of them for? I would really like a car that I can get into the 250-300 BHP ballpark. Assuming the 265 designation means 265 PS?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Silverstone is done by themselves and Oulton park is with Opentrack https://www.opentrack.co.uk/product/oulton-park-international-circuit-tuesday-17th-december-2019/

Passenger pass is £30 but you will need to be booked to a car, you can book to mine if you turn up, you will need a crash helmet but they are also available to hire on the day.

I’ve vowed never to go with Open track again. Dave Woodall has a habit of overbooking his days and it can become very frustrating. Some mates attended a Brands GP circuit day with them recently. He claimed there would be 90 cars there, but in fact 130 were counted by my friends. I think there were a couple of car to car impacts too, which should never happen on a trackday

Top Bottom