A little paintwork this afternoon.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Before

IMG_3435.JPG

This was the best looking of my calipers after the winter so, I decided that since it was a beautiful sunny day that I'd paint them all and do the hub centres at the same time.
Sadly, I forgot to take pictures of the "after" with the wheels off as, I was in such a rush to get them all done before it got bitter cold again.

After,

IMG_3450.JPG
IMG_3452.JPG IMG_3447.JPG
IMG_3437.JPG
A big improvement I thought.

My son was walking past as I finished working on them and commented that he thought they looked great in silver and it really cleaned up the look of the car. He said he was pleased I hadn't gone down the route of painting them red or something, as he felt that would not have been in keeping with the look of the car.

Gob smacked to get such a nice compliment from him, lol. ;)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I'm inclined to agree with you Jim on the colour, red is for boy racers. I think you and I are a bit past that era :rolleyes:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I'm inclined to agree with you Jim on the colour, red is for boy racers. I think you and I are a bit past that era :rolleyes:

Some of us don't have an option though...

NSF B4.jpg

This was taken before I painted the hubs. Car was <6 months old here.:(

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

There's still an eighteen year olds heart beating in my chest Andy, I may look my 60 years but, I'm still a daftie at heart. :D:D:D

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I painted the calipers red on my black Omega ..... I was never sure I'd done the right thing :oops:

I have silver though ready to do my ML ..... I might use the rest of the red to paint the calipers on my red/silver Fortwo :D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it comes with red, stay red. But then again there’s always those pesky yellow ones :rolleyes:

Yellow looks cool, just a pita to keep clean though, lol. :rolleyes:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Before

View attachment 49354

This was the best looking of my calipers after the winter so, I decided that since it was a beautiful sunny day that I'd paint them all and do the hub centres at the same time.
Sadly, I forgot to take pictures of the "after" with the wheels off as, I was in such a rush to get them all done before it got bitter cold again.

After,

View attachment 49355
View attachment 49356 View attachment 49357
View attachment 49361
A big improvement I thought.

My son was walking past as I finished working on them and commented that he thought they looked great in silver and it really cleaned up the look of the car. He said he was pleased I hadn't gone down the route of painting them red or something, as he felt that would not have been in keeping with the look of the car.

Gob smacked to get such a nice compliment from him, lol. ;)
Lovely job Jim, particularly impressed by what I see of the hubs....sure Dave will approve :)

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
They look great Jim, i still like red aswell though. ;):)

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Black would of been better in this and most applications as silver detracts from the show piece which is the wheels .

Think of why debadging works...

To top it off silver highlights the rough casting finish of the calipers .

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black would of been better in this and most applications as silver detracts from the show piece which is the wheels .

Think of why debadging works...

To top it off silver highlights the rough casting finish of the calipers .

I had thought of black tbh but, felt that it would clash, especially on the front with the black plate which has Mercedes Benz written on it almost disappearing if I had gone with black. Hence the reason for the silver, which also highlights the contrast between the rough finish of the caliper and the smooth finish of the alloy.
All very arty eh? :D:D:D

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
this is a job i might do during the summer, but i'm curious what sort of paint you used ? and secondly, what did you use to clean up the rust marks on it before painting, was it simply some brillo soap pads or ?

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
this is a job i might do during the summer, but i'm curious what sort of paint you used ? and secondly, what did you use to clean up the rust marks on it before painting, was it simply some brillo soap pads or ?

I cleaned it up with a narrow two row wire brush, an aerosol of brake cleaner and a cloth. That got rid of all the loose stuff and any greasy residue.

Then it was painted with Smoothrite silver. I thinned the paint down a little with white spirit and gave each part two coats to get a nice finish.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking good & a nice set of Railsports as well.

The next set I put on the rear will be Sharks too, great tyres, good grip in the dry excellent in the wet plus they're reasonably priced, and living in Scotland we get a lot of the wet! :D:D:D

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Gave my calipers a going over with a small wire brush,
(pound shop) then used one of those green scouring pads, then (if you've got one) blew the dust off with a garden blower, if not a paint brush will do, to brush the dust off.
I used Halfords red engine paint on mine, not there red caliper paint , I've used them both and the engine paint is far better, i found 3 coats did the job nicely.
20190414_224650.jpg
20190414_224604.jpg
20190414_224929.jpg

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nice job!

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Jimbo or Tony (Smart AMG) just a quick question.

Where about’s
did you position Axel stands whilst undertaking the work on your callipers ?

Top Bottom