A new E220?

starofwisdom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-class
Hello everyone. This is my first post so please treat me kindly!

I currently drive a Golf and am thinking of an upgrade as the Golf has done lots of miles (86K in just under 4 years), and a reward for my own hard work. Also things have started to go wrong on the Golf (just replaced the gearbox) so my confidence in it is starting to ebb away, although it (and the VW garage) has been good for me.

I have test driven the usual executive car contenders: Audi A6, BMW 5-series and the Mercedes Benz E-Class. All 2 litre diesels with an auto gearbox, and this would be for a brand new model. Obviously all 3 were a better driving experience in comparison to my 4 year old Golf. I have already discounted the 5-Series; I'm not a fan of the current bodystyle and the drive I found to be a bit numb.

Which leaves the A6 and an E220. Both body styles I love. I must admit I prefer the A6 interior, the Mercedes dashboard does seem a bit dated in comparison. However driving the Mercedes was a real treat, nice and steady, steering I could actually feel! And of course, the prestige factor felt good.

So I am angling towards an E220. Just wanted to ask whether it's worth spending the extra on the Avantgarde instead of SE? And what sort of real world diesel economy owners of new E220s get? And assuming I don't drive like Lewis Hamilton, is there a good chance the car may last for many, many years?

I have never owned a Mercedes Benz so It's quite a big step for me but one which I am relishing!

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
Go for avant guarde, the xenons, bigger alloys, interior lighting and leather are well worth it

You should see 40mpg+ and 50mpg on the motorway. depends how you drive
I was in your situation a couple of years and waited for a good a/g
I was glad I did and that I didnt settle for a SE
and it'll be more desirable when you sell it

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I currently drive a Golf and am thinking of an upgrade as the Golf has done lots of miles (86K in just under 4 years), and a reward for my own hard work. Also things have started to go wrong on the Golf (just replaced the gearbox) so my confidence in it is starting to ebb away, although it (and the VW garage) has been good for me.!

Hi and welcome.
I'm a bit surprised. 4 years and 86k? For your average merc owner, we'd have to leave the car in the garage for half the week to keep it that low, and at 4 years and 86k, if we needed a gearbox we'd be demand not only a new one free but a letter of apology from mercedes!!

Longevity wise, we all expect a diesel merc to do near 150,000+ miles before needing any work. Even then, we're talking the odd glow plug or maybe some turbo maintenance. I can say I've had mine since 2005. I've done 132,000 miles and its still like new, just as I expected it to be. I've never had ANY serious maintenance. Just regular servicing, albeit i insist that it's all done to spec. I do 600 miles a week, I've just driven 210 miles this evening, and still enjoyed it.

an A6 shouldn't be much different but as you found, drive a merc and then say you didn't feel that bit more special. That pleasure tends to stay with you. Certainly has for me (been running mercs since 1998).

As for exec or avant-garde, not clear on the spec differences but the old adage of he who has the most toys wins applies, so avant-garde is always the better option and a cut above. But, I have to say, if it's an option, do consider an ex demo or 'newsed' model. You'll get even more toys, a brilliant car, good for hundreds of thousands of quality, effortless miles and save a few quid into the bargain.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Good choice of car and I believe that it will come with the well proven five speed box. Some of the SE special packages can be quite good value, but if it's a standad car better to go for the Avantgarde, which will come with bigger wheels with lower profile tyres and lowered suspension which improves handling. There are a lot of good comments on this forum about the 220 engine and the good mpg achieved. The 250 engine with the bigger bi-turbo provides a bit more go if required.

Hope you enjoy the car!

W124Devon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 convertible and 300CE
Hi and welcome.
at 4 years and 86k, if we needed a gearbox we'd be demand not only a new one free but a letter of apology from mercedes!!

Longevity wise, we all expect a diesel merc to do near 150,000+ miles before needing any work. Even then, we're talking the odd glow plug or maybe some turbo maintenance.

My experience of W210 and S211 E320cdis has been awful in terms of reliability I am afraid, and Mercedes were not at all interested in any form of acknowledgement of problems, let alone apology. That's why our everyday vehicles are made by Volvo and VW now.

However, the latest E class is widely acknowledged to be a proper Mercedes in terms of quality, and should hopefully give satisfaction.

In my opinion the AG is the one to have, nice wheels, good interior spec and handsome. Lucky devil and enjoy!

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
One thing I have always noticed in my personal opinion, BMW and Audi are obviously nice cars, but from what I have seen, none of these have the same amount of presence as a Mercedes, do not get me wrong they do get noticed but not as much as a Merc.

I always think, that if you really want an A6, just buy a Volkswagen Passat or a Skoda Superb, it is the same car underneath owned by the same group just in my opinion with Audi badges on it and a big bumped up price tag.

More things are standard on the E-class compared to the A6, you will notice this yourself.
Also where the E220 CDI is a chain driven engine, the A6 TDI is ran off a cambelt.

The following is what the SE does not have compared to the better Avantgarde model..

Chrome trim on side and bumpers (Trust me it does make a difference on appearance)

Intelligent Light System with Bi-Xenon, LED Daytime Running Lights, Active Light System, Cornering Light function and headlamp wash, Adaptive high beam assist.

LED Rear Tail Lights and third brake light

Nappa Leather Steering Wheel

Better quality of leather (Not Artificial leather Artico)

SE - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...page/1/radius/1501/postcode/mk429se?logcode=p

Avantgarde -
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...page/1/radius/1501/postcode/mk429se?logcode=p

You can clearly see a difference..

Good Luck & Enjoy ;)

ZEE

OP
S

starofwisdom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-class
Thanks for the replies. Last night I decided I will definitely be ordering an E220, and having made the decision I have felt a nice glow in anticipation of being an owner of a Mercedes car.

Although tempting to go for the Avantgarde I will probably stick to the SE as the Co2 level for the auto is at 129, whereas the Avantgarde would be 134, which makes a difference in terms of the company car tax. And I have a budget in mind which works if I buy the SE.

I'm definitely going to order the COMAND media system. If the car needs to be made to order I will also specify the 80 litre fuel tank and split rear folding seat, but these are not absolutely neccessary.

I am going to the MB showroom tomorrow to see if we can thrash out a deal. They have already been notified that I can get a car through a broker considerably lower but the MB salesman says he thinks we can work something out. Will the showroom have a proper colour pallette showing the range of paint options? I really dislike looking at exterior colours that have been printed because they rarely look the same as reality!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Thanks for the replies. Last night I decided I will definitely be ordering an E220, and having made the decision I have felt a nice glow in anticipation of being an owner of a Mercedes car.

Although tempting to go for the Avantgarde I will probably stick to the SE as the Co2 level for the auto is at 129, whereas the Avantgarde would be 134, which makes a difference in terms of the company car tax. And I have a budget in mind which works if I buy the SE.

I'm definitely going to order the COMAND media system. If the car needs to be made to order I will also specify the 80 litre fuel tank and split rear folding seat, but these are not absolutely neccessary.

I am going to the MB showroom tomorrow to see if we can thrash out a deal. They have already been notified that I can get a car through a broker considerably lower but the MB salesman says he thinks we can work something out. Will the showroom have a proper colour pallette showing the range of paint options? I really dislike looking at exterior colours that have been printed because they rarely look the same as reality!

You fit your user ID.

Buy the car you want to have and need, not whats whats best for resale.

An SE with all the desired stuff you want will be the car you want and need.

SteveW212

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2010 E220
Hi Starofwisdom,

After st4's wise words I will only add this- you are right to go with the E220 even when comparing it to the other marques- that was my choice 18 months ago and i have never regretted it.

The only thing I would add is that i opted for the Aventguarde over the SE for all the reasons already stated and also for the ride quality, which I believe gives a more "Merc" like experience over the more spongy SE set up - as I say just my thoughts

Anyway well done on your choice of a E220 - the engine will suprise you how well it goes especially in the important 50 -80(ish!!) range :lol:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom