A question for oil experts

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
I am working in Kyrgyzstan where scams, rip offs & corruption is a normal/accepted way of life here. I took my E290td to a service station last week for an oil change. I wanted 5w/40w fully synthetic as used previously. Last time they used sealed containers of the oil but this time they topped it up from a bulk barrel? After leaving the service station I was studying the service info & they had recommended next oil change at 8k kms.(5000mls) . That indicated to me, I thought, mineral oil engine oil changes. I suspect he has charged me for fully synthetic & used mineral oil, after all who would check normally, & it would be a very easy scam for him to get away with.

I decided to try a little experiment as we run generators using 15/40 mineral. I took a polished SS plate & froze it at -17degC in the freezer. I took a drop out of my engine placed it on the plate, then took a drop (same size drop) of new 15/40. Both oils created the same size pool on the plate horizontally. I then put the plate in the freezer vertically for 24hrs.After 24hrs I would have expected the 5w 40w to have “run” further down the plate, but as I suspected it didn’t, they both measured exactly the same.

I realise my test is a little crude & I may be completely wrong but I would like to find out what oil I have before confronting the station. I am returning to UK next week, is there anywhere to have a sample of my oil analysed to check what oil is in my engine. I am located in North East UK so if anyone could recommend anywhere to have the oil analysed I would be grateful.

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I hope some one answers that one for you as I would like to know.
I would do a cold pour test as well, I do know synthetic molecules are supposed to be uniform so maybe a microscope ?
We shall see what happens.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There must be some labs that can do this, but I just do not know, the mineral oil should break down molecule wise earlier than the fully synthetic, but so much more to it all, I know we take the figures on the cans for granted.

Maybe we do have an oil expert among us

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom