A silly idea

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My soft top on the r129 is 30 years old next New year's Day. Just saying.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
I was thinking of the permanent version. I have heard of wraps but was not thinking of that. A wrap sounds better. If it will work. Could even get some crazy ones like Sausage showed. But just for the top. I have no idea how removable they are. This is a 15 year old car and will not go up in value. I bought it as a "toy" and if i muck it up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, the hard top is better than a soft top. Does not need to be replaced periodically and is quieter.
That is the think with vinyl wraps, you can change it as frequently as you chose. One lad did a tartan wrap on his 911 whilst we were on tour in Scotland.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
And Cuban Heel boots with a zip?
Classic Timberlands actually, for more than 30 years. I am qualified to say they are now cheap crap compared to what they once were and so I have bought my last pair. Yet another trusted quality item that turned to crap thanks to greed.

So I might give the cuban heels a look :) More likely I am going to get my Redwings.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Unfortunately that is exactly what an SLK is, a Coupe Convertible :rolleyes::)
I am not clear why someone would buy a folding Tin Top when they really wanted a folding Soft Top anyway. It’s a bit like buying a Van when you wanted an Estate Car and then setting about modifying it o_O

I think the idea of a Vinyl Roof to try and make it look like a Soft Top is naff as is covering it with a Wrap, it just will look bluddy awful. The Coupe look is nice in my view and certainly a lot quieter than a Soft Top. Just enjoy the car as it is :)

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Classic Timberlands actually, for more than 30 years. I am qualified to say they are now cheap crap compared to what they once were and so I have bought my last pair. Yet another trusted quality item that turned to crap thanks to greed.

So I might give the cuban heels a look :) More likely I am going to get my Redwings.
Might be worth giving Rockports a look. Had a few pairs and they've lasted phenomenally well.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
................ One thing I don't like about the hardtop is that when it is up, the car looks like a coupe. ........
I’ve always thought that, that is exactly why they have a hard top. They want the coupé look not a convertible look

I’ve always felt that, in both my previous R172 SLK 350, and my current drive that they feel like two different cars with roof up or roof down.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’ve always thought that, that is exactly why they have a hard top. They want the coupé look not a convertible look

I’ve always felt that, in both my previous R172 SLK 350, and my current drive that they feel like two different cars with roof up or roof down.
Agreed, very different feel and look - 2 cars for the price of one :cool: :D

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

I bought my first pair of Redwings (the original USA ones) back in the 70’s they lasted me many years of hard use. I’d buy another pair but I have many other barely worn shoes including some expensive ones (Church & RM Willaims) that I don’t wear and will outlast me.:shock:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Which is about 6 months longer than the Viva bodywork did in the UK...:rolleyes:
IIRC a friend had a Lime Green VIVA GT (2.5L ?) which was pretty nippy in it’s day. Luckily, in the J’oburg highveld, cars never rusted but vinyl roofs, red paint and those plastic aftermarket sun roofs were a big no-no.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
IIRC a friend had a Lime Green VIVA GT (2.5L ?) which was pretty nippy in it’s day. Luckily, in the J’oburg highveld, cars never rusted but vinyl roofs, red paint and those plastic aftermarket sun roofs were a big no-no.
Just had a look, they did a 2.5 in SA locally built with a Chevrolet engine

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Just had a look, they did a 2.5 in SA locally built with a Chevrolet engine
Thought so. Another friend had the “Chev” Firenza with a 2.5. He spent more money on new clutches than any other maintenance. My wife (then girlfriend) got quite good at driving it without a clutch (after we’d consumed too much fun). Start it in 1st gear and then time it just right.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
General Motors built a few Firenzas with V8's as homologation specials as well. One or two got to the UK.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Might be worth giving Rockports a look. Had a few pairs and they've lasted phenomenally well.
DMs for me! My first pair is over 25 years old and still showing no signs of wear!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
DMs for me! My first pair is over 25 years old and still showing no signs of wear!
Don’t buy the new Far East made ones then… Solovair (Sole-of-air…);) were the manufactures of DM’s in theUK and still manufacture under the Solovair brand.

DM’s are just hipster apparel now

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A nice big tin of contact adhesive, a roll of vinyl, some 80 grit paper, Stanley knife, scissors and a nice rounded knife to push the edges under the screen rubbers.

Takes me back.

Wraps are far easier.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I bought my first pair of Redwings (the original USA ones) back in the 70’s they lasted me many years of hard use. I’d buy another pair but I have many other barely worn shoes including some expensive ones (Church & RM Willaims) that I don’t wear and will outlast me.:shock:

Loved my Redwings, lasted 15 years. Now wear mainly BASE London, for the price they are excellent and great quality (Cash back as well through Top Cashback)

Sweeney are another Great Shoe company that have lost their way quality wise

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom