A160 connector location

martinrgibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 W202
Ok I have just replaced my engine in my 2004 A160 manual. It was a nightmare of a job but we achieved it over the weekend. The only issue I now have is that when hot it misfires. I have tried new plugs but still same. I have noticed a wire with a 2 pin connnector coming through the right hand top side of the bulk head which for the life of me I can't see where it connects up to? I am wondering if this could be my problem? It isn't the washer tank connector as that is connected and working. Any ideas anyone? apart from that the engine runs as sweet as a nut with no noises or rattles. I'm really please with it apart from my misfire!
Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this wire?
Cheers.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Ok I have just replaced my engine in my 2004 A160 manual. It was a nightmare of a job but we achieved it over the weekend. The only issue I now have is that when hot it misfires. Cheers.
Hi
Did the donor engine have the misfire issue.

OP
M

martinrgibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 W202
Hi Matt.
Thanks for the reply.
No the new engine didn't have a misfire. The only thing is the new engine came with the inlet manifold including the injectors so I used those instead of my old ones. The guy assured me though that the engine was perfect before rear ended and written off.
Can't help but think I may have a connector wrong way round or something? Oh and also there is a large vacume/hiss when opening the petrol cap? (Much bigger vacume than I would expect?)
Cheers.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Hi
Are both cars W168 or W169.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
A LARGE VACUUM HISS when opening the tank could mean the tank venting /emission system is blocked causing a build up of tank vacuum- this can result in fuel starvation- which might cause your misfire. An easy test is to run with the fuel cap loose to allow air in. If the misfire disappears you need to investigate the tank ventilation system.

OP
M

martinrgibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 W202
Sorry about the delay here guys I have just moved house!! and thanks for your kind support.
Ok a bit of an update. Both my old engine and the new (but old) engine are
W168's so shouldn't be an issue there? Someone mentioned to me that sometimes the injectors have to be 'mated' up with the EM system? Not sure but anyway it still misfires when running after a while. (P0300 multiple and random misfires on all cylinders) So I'm still stuck unless anyone has any other ideas I think I'm just gonna have to put it into a garage! (Ouch!)
Could it be temperature related? Is the temp switch not telling the EM system the engine is hot? Oh, incidentally there are NO lights on on the dash at all. (except when I turn the ignition on of course) even when it starts to misfire.
I am at the classic car show in Fillegh today :D
Thanks again guys.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
I am at the classic car show in Fillegh today :D
Thanks again guys.
Hi
When you pulled off and reconnected the ignition bit that sits on top of the plugs, were you careful to ease it off equally ?

Last edited:
OP
M

martinrgibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 W202
Yes I think so Matt. Is that bit prone to break then?
Cheers.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Yes I think so Matt. Is that bit prone to break then?
Cheers.
Hi
Apparently it is one big printed circuit board that needs tlc. I have not had mine touched yet.
As it happens when hot, I wonder if it is the Crankshaft position sensor. You can take that off the old engine and try.

OP
M

martinrgibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 W202
Thanks Matt. Yes I could try the crank sensor, but that means lowering the engine again don't it? Ouch. I may resort to that before I take to garage though. Also It might be worth me checking the spark plug circuit board as in my previous life I was an electronics engineer!
Thanks again Matt. All good stuff here.

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Thinking about the vacuum build up in the fuel tank and also the mystery two pin connector... is the purge valve connected? (silly question, I know, so my apologies).

Also, my A160 builds up a surprising amount of vacuum in the fuel tank when the car is low on fuel. Is your misfire perhaps related to low fuel/ fuel starvation?

Last edited:
OP
M

martinrgibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 W202
Aha!! Some more info. Not sure it's temperature related now, after running for aboiut 10 miles it starts to misfire. If I stop the car switch off the ignition, (take out the key) then restart it runs for another 10 or so miles before misfiring again then if I stop and restart I can go another 10. It's very consistant if nothing else! Curious, but does that help anyone?
Cheers.

OP
M

martinrgibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 W202
Area51. Sorry for the delay in replying to your post I only just saw it for some reason! Yes the purge valve is connected. The 'floating' 2 pin connector turned out to be the reverse lights.
Cheers.

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Aha!! Some more info. Not sure it's temperature related now, after running for aboiut 10 miles it starts to misfire. If I stop the car switch off the ignition, (take out the key) then restart it runs for another 10 or so miles before misfiring again then if I stop and restart I can go another 10. It's very consistant if nothing else! Curious, but does that help anyone?
Cheers.

Crankshaft position sensor??

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Aha!! Some more info. Not sure it's temperature related now, after running for aboiut 10 miles it starts to misfire. Curious, but does that help anyone?
Cheers.
Hi
So the purge valve was connected all along.
Right, I think it is fuel related.
First, change the fuel filter and see if that cures it.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom