A180 2009 W169 Rear Tail Light Condensation

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Update from the dealer, The air con compressor is not always running, when power is supplied via the control panel. So it having a new Heater/ Air Con panel fitted.

I'm not really sure if this will solve the problem. But I guess if anything goes wrong with my air con/ heater. I've got a 2 year parts warranty on it ;)

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
As for compensation from the Head office people for my expense in fuel and time.

Going to the dealers 5 times. 40 mile round trip having to do that twice to drop the car off then collect it. 40 X 10 times = 400 Miles = Tank of Fuel £60 + my time

I was rudely told 'Thats the consequence of ownership of a car'

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As for compensation from the Head office people for my expense in fuel and time.

Going to the dealers 5 times. 40 mile round trip having to do that twice to drop the car off then collect it. 40 X 10 times = 400 Miles = Tank of Fuel £60 + my time

I was rudely told 'Thats the consequence of ownership of a car'

Unbelievable after all that :shock:

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Well I picked the car up yesterday. I cant fault the front line staff at the dealers. Very polite, washed my car inside and out, also put some diesel in for me (free of charge) as the mechanic had to take it home to see if what they had done had fixed the problem.

On inspecting the car, well. I was disappointed and someone confused?

They had replaced the air con control unit in the car as it was faulty. Anyway the trim hadn't been pushed back in correctly. - See photos.

So before I pushed it back in, I thought Id gently pull it off to see if I could see any dates on the unit (just to make sure it had been replaced).

Well Straight away I could see a date 3rd Jan 2011. Seemed odd as this was meant to be a brand new part ordered in?

Secondly the trim also looked damaged on the back. It had like old superglue marks, or something had been melted off to make it fit. I couldn't find any corresponding bits where these plastic things would of touched in the dash (see photos again)

It then got me thinking, They found the problem and ordered the part on Wednesday Afternoon. I was told it would be delivered and fitted tomorrow morning. By 10:50 (Thursday Morning) I had a phone call saying my car was ready to collect.

I decided to look on the website at their used cars, and it turned out their had a 2011 A-Class in stock at the time. - Seemed a bit funny, that the part fitted to my car was a 2011 unit.

Asked someone I knew how long it normally takes for a part to come to a MB dealer, and he said its 2 Working days if the parts in stock.

I know all these repairs are free of charge and I'm not bothered as long as I get an invoice saying I have 2 years parts warranty on this unit fitted. But do you think the garage has pulled a bit of a fast one on me?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 19.07.41.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 19.07.41.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 19.07.49.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 19.07.49.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 19.08.01.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 19.08.01.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 22

Jdokal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Possibly, has this new unit fixed the problem?

They could have found a unit within their group stock, which was old stock

Has your vehicle ever had a new front windscreen fitted?

Last edited:
OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
I cant tell if its fixed the problem yet. As the cars doing so small journeys due to the weather.

Im awaiting for the dealer to get to me, with regards to my concerns on the used parts.

I dont think the windows ever been replaced though :/

topgeeza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169/2012/1600
Hi, Are these rear tail lights sealed units? The drivers side unit on my 2012 160 Avantgarde has already shown misting inside. It's going in for its first service in 5 weeks and I want to go in prepared with hard facts so they can't fob me off! :D

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Basically the problem hasn't been fixed for the lights.

The units are sealed if you look at the back of them through the little panels either side in the boot. I think its a design fault with them. (It only happens for me, when the lights are on and its rained a little -Is this the same for you)

Basically the first time I took the car, they had it for a day, and said yes we see the problem, bring it back in a week when we have the parts.

They fitted brand new lamps and off I went

I took it back again as I still had the problem, and they had it for the day, and said theres nothing wrong with it, and blamed it on me for not driving with the air con on.

I wasnt happy with that response so rang MB HQ, and the dealer rang me up the following day, saying he'll have the car back for a few days (as a new fault had come about)

They had the car for three days, and cured the fault I had with the windscreen, but the lights still show condensation.

I'm just going to live with it as it is. Hopefully it wont happen in the summer, its just the moist air when the lights are on.

But I now have 2 Years parts warranty on my lamps, and now my A/C unit too.
- All this was done for free under the used car warranty.

I also had the £10 insurance fee to bring the excess down paid for me aswell.

It would be interesting to see what your dealers say about the problem, and if they try any other methods to cue the problem.

I would take photos of the lights, to show them what they look like when you have the problem.

If nothing else you get a brand new 62 reg courtesy car to blast around in (No company branding on them unlike other manufactures). - I must of put well over 1000 miles in total on the 4 I've had from them :)

Just out of interest what spec is yours? Classic, Elegance or Avantgarde?

topgeeza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169/2012/1600
Mine's an Avantgarde. I've already taken photos of the misted light and I'm pretty sure it wont occur in summer because of the drier and warmer air. But considering the UK is such a wet place, it means it's likely to happen for at least 6 months of the year and that is unacceptable.

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Mines an Classic SE, I had a theory of the darkened lights on the avantgarde would make the problem less visible.
I totally agree with you. I just don't have enough time to keep visiting the dealers.

Maybe you could upload the photos here to compare it with mine? - See if its happening in the same place.

I would love to hear what your dealer says the issue is. I'm currently in the process of waiting a response from the managing director of Mercedes UK on this issue and time i've took out to try and get this problem fixed.

topgeeza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169/2012/1600
I've attached a photo which was taken after a trip to Gatwick in the rain in December (2 hour drive from my home in Bournemouth)

IMAG0525.jpg

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Looks pretty much like mine. Same place its happening. (see first post for photos)

Seems like a design fault to me.

Keep us updated on what your dealers say about the issue.

As I said earlier, both my lamps have been replaced, so its cant be faulty lamps?

Attachments

• IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 10
OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
After a complaint to head office, here is a copy of a section from the PDF I received in regards to the condensation of the rear lights.......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 19.59.56.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 19.59.56.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 27

topgeeza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169/2012/1600
"eventually"....such a conveniently vague use of a word!

Top Bottom