A180 CDI fuel tank replacement under warranty?

graham17

Reaction score
A routine safety check at a MB dealer on a newly purchased 2005 A180 CDI indicated the fuel tank needed to be replaced. Dealer is doing the job under some manufacturer's warranty. As the car is a long way outside any warranty period, does this indicate that the fuel tank was subject to a recall or something? Just can't quite get my head round why MB or the dealer would just replace it FOC.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
If you have just purchased the car from an MB dealer and on inspection they have found a fault with the tank and replaced it, then I think your dealer has to gain bonus points...
Not sure if these cars were recalled for that fault, someone will know..

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
My C270CDi was in today for MOT as it approaches 5yrs old. The SRS light came on a few days ago and was apparently due to a wiring "issue" related to the steering wheeel airbag. It needed 3.5 hrs worth of work to dismantle and solder in some new wiring but the dealer had some kind of service bulletin about it and Mercedes covered the cost in full.

There are literally hundreds of service bulletins, advisories, campaigns and recalls. There's presumeably one that tells the dealer to look at your fuel tank and if there's any suggestion of a possible problem then to replace it.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom