Abc yellowspeed coilover conversion

Philanders

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl 500
D0D5F2B7-8134-4BA3-B2BF-E94FE19FF825.jpeg Hi guys
I’m new to the group, thanks for having me.
I have just had a yellowspeed coilover conversion done on my Cl500. I’m happy with the results, car handles great.
Thought I’d try touch base with others to see what settings and ride heights some of you guys are running.
Also I’m getting a vibration around 70-80.
Passenger chair visibly shakes.
Seems to stop at around 90 mph.
My tyres are very low profile. Would a different tyre make my car not feel every bump in the road? I feel there to low profile.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome to the forum buddy , interesting stuff . How much was the coil over conversion if you don't mind me asking ?
Did the car shake before the conversion was done ?

OP
P

Philanders

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl 500
Welcome to the forum buddy , interesting stuff . How much was the coil over conversion if you don't mind me asking ?
Did the car shake before the conversion was done ?

Hi mate thank you. Very nice to be hear. Cracking group to be in.

Yes it did shake a lot more before the conversion. It’s inproved a lot since converted.

It cost me £820 ish for the coilovers.
And my mechanic charged me £200 to fit them. He does my work vehicles so he did it on the cheap for me.
He said the biggest issue he had was releasing the couplings on the suspension struts. He said they was a bugger to get off.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I always dream of some of the bigger Mercs like yours , especially the CL , but like many on here worry about ABC costs . I'm impressed that the conversion costs less than one failed ABC strut .
Getting your car properly set up on an alignment system at a place like wheels in motion that have the option/knowledge of fitting MB' adjustable camber bolts might be a next step with the shaking ?
Maybe just get the front wheels balanced first as the cheapest option .

OP
P

Philanders

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl 500
I always dream of some of the bigger Mercs like yours , especially the CL , but like many on here worry about ABC costs . I'm impressed that the conversion costs less than one failed ABC strut .
Getting your car properly set up on an alignment system at a place like wheels in motion that have the option/knowledge of fitting MB' adjustable camber bolts might be a next step with the shaking ?
Maybe just get the front wheels balanced first as the cheapest option .

Cheers wighty
I had the wheels balanced. Didn’t make any difference.
My rear tyres feel like they could have a flat spot. Soon as I’ve destroyed the tread on them I’ll try a different set.
Ill defo be getting the 4 wheel allighnment in the next 2weeks.
And I stumbled across the conversion really, I had 2 knackered struts and a failing abc pump. I noticed a thread on here about coilovers. I love the car and didn’t want be chasing abc problems forever.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers wighty
I had the wheels balanced. Didn’t make any difference.
My rear tyres feel like they could have a flat spot. Soon as I’ve destroyed the tread on them I’ll try a different set.
Ill defo be getting the 4 wheel allighnment in the next 2weeks.
And I stumbled across the conversion really, I had 2 knackered struts and a failing abc pump. I noticed a thread on here about coilovers. I love the car and didn’t want be chasing abc problems forever.
I can see my afternoon involving Autotrader and CL's now . How has it changed the cars ride ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
What size wheels and tyres are you running?
Your car does look very low...

OP
P

Philanders

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl 500
I can see my afternoon involving Autotrader and CL's now . How has it changed the cars ride ?
Ha ha ha get one bought mate.
Well my abc has never worked properly. Since the conversion. It handles better, feels more planted and less twitchy, ive only gone upto 80mph, and feels stable. I’m very happy with the results. Seems to deal with pot holes in the road better than abc

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ha ha ha get one bought mate.
Well my abc has never worked properly. Since the conversion. It handles better, feels more planted and less twitchy, ive only gone upto 80mph, and feels stable. I’m very happy with the results. Seems to deal with pot holes in the road better than abc
Well , better than failing/failed ABC at least

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
What did you do with the pump and the anti roll bar issue?

OP
P

Philanders

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl 500
What did you do with the pump and the anti roll bar issue?
Hi mate

I’ve not fitted an anti roll bar. It feels fine as it is. And I just capped the abc lines for now, so I’m still on the same pump.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hi mate

I’ve not fitted an anti roll bar. It feels fine as it is. And I just capped the abc lines for now, so I’m still on the same pump.

So the pump is running deadhead-ed? You can fit a pump from an S500

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
looked into this for SL600. apparently no way to deal with roll bars around 12 doz,still looking tho. ABC is great,but i do feel the car would be much more reliable ,lighter,more economic to run. generally a win win thing especially for the ageing versions,or unless cheaper parts become available, and i am skeptical of that happening ,i think strut costs of £400 would be acceptable. if i ever did it(i am likely shifting the car on in spring ) i would be careful to preserve all the parts removed as i think future originality would effect the desirability/value.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom