About to buy B CLass, but service history missing (on key?)

rm0rgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class
Hello, looking at a B Class 180 tomorrow for my wife.

The car we are looking at looks clean, has a good pass rate in terms of MOT's but only has 2 invoices in the car showing a service completed 2020 and an EGR valve replaced last year. The independent garage has a very good reputation for customer care and attention.

I called our local MB dealership who put me through to someone in Germany who said I have to purchase the car, provide the V5 number, VIN and Reg and they can then send everything they have on the car within the next 5 days...problem is, I don't want to buy it and then find out it's got no service history.

Does anyone have access to the MB service system and is able to help me out in knowing what service history it has? I'd be very grateful - or point me towards someone who can help?

Vin is WDD2462002J092573 / Reg is MK62 LFT

Thanks in advance for any help :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Just ask the seller to obtain the docs

OP
R

rm0rgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class
Just ask the seller to obtain the docs
Ideally yes, but the garage won't get them in time for tomorrow morning. I may hold off buying it until I know what the service history is, but if someone has access here then it would help me make the decision tomorrow rather than in 5 days (which is how long it would take them too I guess)

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
Could you agree a holding refundable deposit subject to provision of its service history and it being satisfactory?

OP
R

rm0rgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class
Could you agree a holding refundable deposit subject to provision of its service history and it being satisfactory?
Yes, that could be an option - thanks, I'll hold that thought

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Ideally yes, but the garage won't get them in time for tomorrow morning. I may hold off buying it until I know what the service history is, but if someone has access here then it would help me make the decision tomorrow rather than in 5 days (which is how long it would take them too I guess)

@Uncle Benz may be able to help

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
No service history I wouldn't touch it. There are plenty more out there with service history.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
No service history I wouldn't touch it. There are plenty more out there with service history.
but as you know .... some service history is more equal than other service history. It might have been owned by someone like Wighty who changes his oil when he changes his socks ... that wouldn't be noted in any digital service history but there'd likely be a pile of receipts for service parts etc ;)

OP
R

rm0rgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class
I totally agree - and that is what I will do in all probability, but, It may have all its service history on the key/DSB - that's the bit I'm trying to see If someone can access their system and check for me.

It has a pretty good MOT history, and it will probably have had its first 3 services done whilst under warranty, and so I'm looking for the other 3 services up to the service receipt dated 2019 (over which covers it circa 18000 at an average of 5000 miles per annum). Given the condition I think/hope it has been serviced, just the proof is on the key...it is frustrating though.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I totally agree - and that is what I will do in all probability, but, It may have all its service history on the key/DSB - that's the bit I'm trying to see If someone can access their system and check for me.

It has a pretty good MOT history, and it will probably have had its first 3 services done whilst under warranty, and so I'm looking for the other 3 services up to the service receipt dated 2019 (over which covers it circa 18000 at an average of 5000 miles per annum). Given the condition I think/hope it has been serviced, just the proof is on the key...it is frustrating though.
I'll buy a car on its face value. In the past I've looked at cars that have allegedly had a full service history that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. It does work both ways

OP
R

rm0rgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class
Just spoken to Mercedes in Manchester where the car originally came from - they say it's not had one MB dealer service from the day it was collected according to their system(!)

I think as someone said, there are plenty out there with FSH or a book of receipts - this one sadly only has one from 2020 and nothing else to say what's been done to it over its lifetime to date, which is a shame as it looks really nice on the face of it. I have since had a few alarm bells going off as it's had 2 MOT failures in its time, both for bald tyres....:eek:

OP
R

rm0rgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class
I find it i
They are telling you the truth. There is no history at all on the DSB.
I find it incredible that someone would pay £20k for a new car and never get it serviced at a main dealer during warranty - I get it could go to an independent after this, but the mind boggles as the car is, if the photos are to be believed immaculate. It does come with a 2 year RAC warranty (for what that's worth!)

Edit: Thanks very much for checking and confirming BTW :)

Last edited:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I find it i

I find it incredible that someone would pay £20k for a new car and never get it serviced at a main dealer during warranty - I get it could go to an independent after this, but the mind boggles as the car is, if the photos are to be believed immaculate. It does come with a 2 year RAC warranty (for what that's worth!)

Edit: Thanks very much for checking and confirming BTW :)
You’re very welcome. Happy to look at any others you may find. It isn’t uncommon to find them with no DSB history, sadly. It’s usually the more entry level Mercedes I’ve seen with no history. I think some people crave the kudos of the three pointed star, but have no further means to maintain it properly.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
You’re very welcome. Happy to look at any others you may find. It isn’t uncommon to find them with no DSB history, sadly. It’s usually the more entry level Mercedes I’ve seen with no history. I think some people crave the kudos of the three pointed star, but have no further means to maintain it properly.
+1!

OP
R

rm0rgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class
Thanks, everyone - very grateful for the help. :)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom