About to buy my first Mercedes CLK 220, 2006-09

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
The radiator doesn’t fail it’s a crimp fixing that eventually loosens and then fails allowing the coolant to mix with ATF, to be fair it wasn’t something exclusive to Valeo radiators but the way in which Mercedes were attaching them.
Problem was that when they failed they knew it was a design flaw and the only way to fix was a redesign of the component and fitting, beher was chosen as their coupling was already partially designed with the new fittings in mind, meaning it was cheeper to go that route than stick with Valeo.
Then again my 2004 S211 OM647 had a Valeo radiator and didn’t fail after 15 years and 160k miles, so can’t have been that much wrong with them, just a select few

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
The radiator doesn’t fail it’s a crimp fixing that eventually loosens and then fails allowing the coolant to mix with ATF, to be fair it wasn’t something exclusive to Valeo radiators but the way in which Mercedes were attaching them.
Problem was that when they failed they knew it was a design flaw and the only way to fix was a redesign of the component and fitting, beher was chosen as their coupling was already partially designed with the new fittings in mind, meaning it was cheeper to go that route than stick with Valeo.
Then again my 2004 S211 OM647 had a Valeo radiator and didn’t fail after 15 years and 160k miles, so can’t have been that much wrong with them, just a select few
Thanks Matty, my 2003 CLK270CDI with the Valeo radiator did 120K miles before I sold it. I did feel a little relived when I sold it.

OP
M

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK 220 CDI Auto
Is it the connection pipes to the rads that fail or, the actual Rad itself. Just wondering how come they were still fitted to 2009 models when supposedly faulty rads?

OP
M

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK 220 CDI Auto
Galvanising did not stop them rusting, some did some didn't, so buyer beware.
No radiator problems of that age though.
Thats very interesting rfog5.Why do Mercedes brag about their no rust for 20 years policy i read somewhere, and here :https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/body-corrosion-warranty.31841/

Why don't they do any free of charge repairs to back that statement up.I am guessing it's the wretched cost involved. Does not look good on MB or any other brand, making such bold announcements on products ? Looks like some are good for 20-25 years depending on well their looked after but no real guarantee as to how long rust will stay away from new.Paint protection warranties are great for those who can afford to buy a brand new Merc...just wish i could:rolleyes:

Anyone know which models used...is it, Nano paint?

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom