ABS & ESP red warning. W211 E270. Any advice for simple checks?

ippyiain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI
Hi all

2003 model E270 W211. 138k miles.

While driving through town normal traffic my dash suddenly displayed the red STOP Braking System Defective light, the ABS symbol came up with a line through it and an ESP not working message. No prior warnings or braking problems before this happened.

I pulled over and the brakes still work. SBC unit was replaced with a genuine recon Merc part about a year back and that is still making the normal priming pump noises so I don't think it's that.

I was only a mile from home so I limped back carefully. I still have braking, and it feels near to normal, but a sharp stop outside the house shows the ABS is definitely not working!

I will contact Alex Crow on Tuesday to get it booked in but any simple checks any expert can recommend in the meantime? Note I don't have access to any diagnostics so looking for any manual check ideas .

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Iain

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I breathed a sigh of relief when you said Alex is on the case , that's the end of your worries for good honest work . I can't offer advice with any manual checks for faults , and I think there is very little you could do that Alex wouldn't have to repeat anyway . Mercedes's Star diagnostics will probably pin the problem down fairly quickly anyway . Good luck , let us know how you get on

OP
I

ippyiain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI
I breathed a sigh of relief when you said Alex is on the case , that's the end of your worries for good honest work . I can't offer advice with any manual checks for faults , and I think there is very little you could do that Alex wouldn't have to repeat anyway . Mercedes's Star diagnostics will probably pin the problem down fairly quickly anyway . Good luck , let us know how you get on
Thanks for the quick response Wighty... I had a feeling I may be clutching at straws with the ask but... :)

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
As above really.
Possible lateral acceleration sensor. I had similar with my SLK and it won't cost a fortune.
Ps just re-read your query. On my SLK it was the BAS/ESP that kept coming on, so might not be the lateral acceleration sensor !
In any case you should be in good hands.

the director

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 R 350 Grand Edition; 2015 S 350
Sounds like a speed sensor gone on one of the wheels. The abs etc can’t then work things out so shuts down. Simple fix for a mechanic once they’ve got the part.

OP
I

ippyiain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI
Sounds like a speed sensor gone on one of the wheels. The abs etc can’t then work things out so shuts down. Simple fix for a mechanic once they’ve got the part.
Ah...cheers... hopefully it will be something like that!
I did read another thread suggesting the aux battery but that checks out at 12.7v so don't think that.
Thanks for the response!

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Corrosion on the abs reluctor rings or a sensor its self can be the cause.

OP
I

ippyiain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI
Having left the car for 3 days, and now the ground isn't soaking wet from rain, I found this by the left rear is morning...

https://flic.kr/p/2355gt3
https://flic.kr/p/2355gTw

So the problem looks like a blown/damaged pipe! Master cylinder was way down and this had dripped off the under tray over the weekend.

Now towed to Alex for a check and fix .

OP
I

ippyiain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI
All fixed

Corroded brake pipe. Alex replaced any sections that looked like eosl and no more nasty red messages and a working set of brakes.

I have to say I think the dash error messages were a bit misleading... maybe one that said system pressure loss rather than a fistful of ABS and ESP would have pointed me in the right direction but each to their own I guess!

And if it hadn't been raining all weekend I might have spotted the fluid on the drive quicker ( never have a fluid leak on a UK Bank Holiday weekend... it always rains )

Thanks for the tips and to Alex Crow for the quick and professional job

Cheers

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
All fixed

Corroded brake pipe. Alex replaced any sections that looked like eosl and no more nasty red messages and a working set of brakes.

I have to say I think the dash error messages were a bit misleading... maybe one that said system pressure loss rather than a fistful of ABS and ESP would have pointed me in the right direction but each to their own I guess!

And if it hadn't been raining all weekend I might have spotted the fluid on the drive quicker ( never have a fluid leak on a UK Bank Holiday weekend... it always rains )

Thanks for the tips and to Alex Crow for the quick and professional job

Cheers
Good job , glad it's fixed easily (by Alex ) :D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom