ABS warning after wheel bearing cx

realslimshady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 cdi 2005
Just changed nearside front wheelbearing on my 55 plate C320
cdi. Straightforward enough job, simply unbolt caliper and sit on an axle
stand, undo nut and hub and disc come off.
However I now have a warning ' ESP not available' when i switch on,
and when i start to move the ABS warning comes on too. I took the wheel
back off and had a look, but I literally disturbed nothing....
Took the abs sensor out and cleaned, but still the same-as soon as I switch on, the warning comes up, as if something is unplugged.
Any ideas welcome.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Was there a sensor in the old pad

I know that this is nothing to do much with it, but I turned on the ignition with a sensor unplugged and I saw the ESP message.

OP
R

realslimshady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 cdi 2005
Was there a sensor in the old pad=QUOTE]
Didn't change the pads, or even remove them from the caliper, just eased the pistons back so I could lift the caliper and pads off complete-there is no wiring to them, just the hydraulic line.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
If the system was fine before you replaced the wheel bearing,it has to be a problem with the reluctor ring on the hub, as you never removed the disc from the hub you would not have seen it, i,m just wondering when you were removing the bearing you somehow damaged it, they can suffer from rust and you clouting the hub to remove the bearing might of all it needed to give up the ghost.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
As above, reluctor ring or sensor damaged or 'gap' between them now not within spec.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Couple of reports in Finnish MB forum where the bearing wasn't correctly in it's place (or tighten enough) and causing ABS malfunction. Probably the sensor is too far from the ring and therefore not getting proper signal.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I miss read it all so yes as the others, you can buy new rings

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
On a 203 the exciter ring for the sensor is contained within the inner hub seal (not visible to the eye) and is easily damaged. To replace this, it needs to be pressed in. If you attempt to tap it in, it will also be damaged and the cruise control will not work and the error will show.

Not sure if your model is the same set up though.

stickandrudder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lots
Did you use a wheel bearing from MB? I've seen this on a different model where the non-MB wheel bearing I fitted lacked a radius on the inner race and so caused a bigger gap at the sensor.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On a 203 the exciter ring for the sensor is contained within the inner hub seal (not visible to the eye) and is easily damaged. To replace this, it needs to be pressed in. If you attempt to tap it in, it will also be damaged and the cruise control will not work and the error will show.

Not sure if your model is the same set up though.

Can you? thought they were only available for the rear, as the front ones were actually part of the hub assembly and this is reasonably cheap especially in comparison to a new rear drive shaft.
You can get a front hub assembly for about £100 from ECP.
Having to take off the hub assembly in the first place, and the potential hassle of fitting a tight fitting reluctor ring to a potentially already corroded hub, I know what method of repair I would opt for.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can you? thought they were only available for the rear, as the front ones were actually part of the hub assembly and this is reasonably cheap especially in comparison to a new rear drive shaft.
You can get a front hub assembly for about £100 from ECP.
Having to take off the hub assembly in the first place, and the potential hassle of fitting a tight fitting reluctor ring to a potentially already corroded hub, I know what method of repair I would opt for.
Yes you can. I bought 2 seals for my front hubs from mercedes in Glasgow, about £7 each. If you buy a bearing kit they are also included in this. Easily fitted with a press or a large vice. Why buy a new hub?

The rear seals are integral to the rear bearings.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The pulse ring is incorporated in the radial sealing ring and it must be replaced if taken out

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes you can. I bought 2 seals for my front hubs from mercedes in Glasgow, about £7 each. If you buy a bearing kit they are also included in this. Easily fitted with a press or a large vice. Why buy a new hub?

The rear seals are integral to the rear bearings.

I recently bought a pair of front wheel bearings for my car and there were no reluctor rings in the boxes, what make bearings did you buy that had these included?
Have you got a link to somewhere that sells them, as you i may now replace just the ring on my front hub now, and if they are as easily fitted as you say it will save me a few quid.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see that the radial seal must not be inserted with metallic tools

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So the later cars don,t have a reluctor ring as such, i have just done a bit of googling and it appears that the "oil seal" is magnetized, and this is what the wheel speed sensor picks up on, this might explain why you are not supposed to use metal tools to fit the "magnetised" rear seal, this also explains the terms in this part description i found on e-bay for a front wheel bearing.
http://vi.ebaydesc.co.uk/ws/eBayISA...artz&category=9886&bv=msie&nv=2&sd=3&caz.html
i have just watched a utube video of a hub replacement on a 211, and neither the old or new hub has no evidence of what i would call a reluctor ring (toothed ring around the hub), so they must have something similar to the 203.
The video might be usefull for someone looking how to do the job.
http://youtu.be/CIa8trioT_k

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I recently bought a pair of front wheel bearings for my car and there were no reluctor rings in the boxes, what make bearings did you buy that had these included?
Have you got a link to somewhere that sells them, as you i may now replace just the ring on my front hub now, and if they are as easily fitted as you say it will save me a few quid.
I bought genuine brearings from mercedes glasgow. It was after I purchased the seals a few days later that the guy said, "you should have bought the kit that includes the seals"

I used a piece if wood over the seal to protect it when pressing it in and it perfomed fine.

Note: if you were to buy a new hub from ECP, you would still need to fit new bearing races and seal as these would not be included with the new hub so no benefit to this unless your original hub was damaged.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Item 50 is the boy.

I replaced the front bearings on my 211 a year or so ago. At the time, everyone told me to buy new whole hubs which include the bearing - nice work at about £175 a throw. MB do not stock bearing-only kits incidentally. At least, not for the 211.

So I went my own way and bought bearing kits, at about £25 to 30 a throw (can't remember exactly now) which included a new sensor ring. It sits behind the inner oil seal, exactly like that diagram.

Worked perfectly for me, no errors, nothing. And the ABS/ESP works perfectly too, as I went out to test it immediately afterwards, just to make sure.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think item 35 is the bearing kit including the seal/speed ring for a 203.

Top Bottom