Accident caused by moving for police car

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
How?
Ok they'd send you one but I'd appeal and take it as far as necessary with a court. You did not jump the light, merely moved a few feet through it to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle. (or did you continue - in which case you took advantage from it and they probably do have a case?) Assuming you merely moved past the line and pulled across, as I have some several times over the years, I would refuse point blank to accept such an abuse of the penalty system and I imagine that the authorities would drop the charge if challenged anyway.

They didn't for a friend of mine.! Because he had the 'cheek' to go all the way to Court, they doubled the fine!! :rolleyes:

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
They didn't for a friend of mine.! Because he had the 'cheek' to go all the way to Court, they doubled the fine!! :rolleyes:

Interesting - I wonder how he put it to them or what the exact details were. My experience is that if you challenge them (often better coming from a solicitor so they know you mean business) they back off. Its a blatant abuse of power and absolute proof that cameras are a bad idea (no policeman would press charges) but it does depend on what you do. I have gone through a red light a few feet, pulled across and then waited for a green before continuing. If you do go to the other side of the junction I would imagine they'd get you, possibly with some justification.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Interesting - I wonder how he put it to them or what the exact details were. My experience is that if you challenge them (often better coming from a solicitor so they know you mean business) they back off. Its a blatant abuse of power and absolute proof that cameras are a bad idea (no policeman would press charges) but it does depend on what you do. I have gone through a red light a few feet, pulled across and then waited for a green before continuing. If you do go to the other side of the junction I would imagine they'd get you, possibly with some justification.

He challenged twice - both with the Police and with the Court. Both times was told that he had 'no obligation' to move against a red light to let an emergency vehicle through (it was an Ambulance) and that in doing so, HE made the choice. Because it was outside the time period for the fixed penalty (£60) he had to pay £120 - and STILL get the 3 points on his (otherwise) clean licence.

At the junction, the kerbs and central reservation were so high, it was impossible for the Ambulance to go around him - so would have been effectivley trapped until the lights had changed and had moved across another set of lights before allowing it to pass.

Marvellous!

mahadeshwar

Reaction score
My god you learn bucket loads on this forum i thought you had to move if a police car has it seriens on even if it means going past a red light. I didnt realise you still get fined by a camera etc.

stivesvelo

Reaction score
Website
www.orientalexpression.co.uk
Your Mercedes
S210 E320 cdi estate
Would it possible for emergency vehicles to have a device fitted which could contol traffic lights in advance to allow traffic through & make their passage quicker & safer?

Might help.... or cause problems?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Would it possible for emergency vehicles to have a device fitted which could contol traffic lights in advance to allow traffic through & make their passage quicker & safer?

They do that in the US using mobile infrared transmitters, or MIRT.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Wow, this topic is certainly educational. I would never imagined that it would be possible to be fined and points for moving out of the way for a blue lighted vehicle.
I was in traffic,inside lane, first in queue at traffic lights, ambulance comming up from behind squeezing between the two lanes, the car behind me could not move over as it needed to move forwards as well so i moved over and forwards,blocking the pedestrian island/crossing ,ambulance goes by. Lights took forever to change but now all the pedestrians were giving me the looks from hell as they were forced to cross into the path of on coming traffic...thought one of them was going to climb over my bonnet dragging their pushchair.
Certainly a lot more to think about when moving for a blue light...

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
He challenged twice - both with the Police and with the Court. Both times was told that he had 'no obligation' to move against a red light to let an emergency vehicle through (it was an Ambulance) and that in doing so, HE made the choice. Because it was outside the time period for the fixed penalty (£60) he had to pay £120 - and STILL get the 3 points on his (otherwise) clean licence.

At the junction, the kerbs and central reservation were so high, it was impossible for the Ambulance to go around him - so would have been effectivley trapped until the lights had changed and had moved across another set of lights before allowing it to pass.

Marvellous!

Yet more proof, if it were needed that the law is an ass, administered by imbeciles.

youspurs1

Reaction score
As I understand it, you should not go through a red light unless specifically instructed to do so by a police officer, and that means a uniformed officer, on foot, waving you through.
There is no legal defence for crossing a red light in any other circumstance, although you might well encounter a sympathetic JP.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Would it possible for emergency vehicles to have a device fitted which could control traffic lights in advance to allow traffic through & make their passage quicker & safer?

Might help.... or cause problems?

Good thought - works for public transport in other European countries. Because they have right of way all the time it discourages cars in town and encourages the use of public transport.

So it will probably take a year or two to arrive here?

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Good thought - works for public transport in other European countries. Because they have right of way all the time it discourages cars in town and encourages the use of public transport.

So it will probably take a year or two to arrive here?

It doesn't work where I live in Spain. There is minimal public transport - hence all the surrounding towns and villages actually cater for cars and provide FREE parking bays outside shops. Result.! :D

dingopuppy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 C180 Elegance Auto
if the damage is BEHIND your front wheel arch it can help- because HE hit YOU (well it worked for me when someone drove into me on a blind inner city alleyway crossing- I did have to go all the way to court refusing to let my insurance company settle- he gave in the day before the court hearing!

C

Celtic pride

The regs

I found this but it doesn't seem to have much effect on our local Panda cars particularly the bit about endangering people!

Regulations 15 and 36 now allow vehicles being used for bomb or explosive disposal or
the national blood service to pass to the right of a keep left arrow or to pass a red signal,
but not in a manner or at a time likely to endanger any person (or, in the case of a red
signal, to cause the driver of another vehicle to change speed or course to avoid an
accident). These exemptions are permitted only in circumstances where complying
with the arrow or stopping at the signal would hinder the use of the vehicle for its
purpose (on a similar basis to the exemptions in the Zebra, Pelican and Puffin
Pedestrian Crossings Regulations 1997). It is intended that they should only be
exercised when the vehicles are being used in accordance with the conditions under
which the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 permit the use of flashing blue
lights.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom