Accident damage to W140

deejaybee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now - W210 E320cdi
Am not feeling too happy with myself at the moment as I managed to have a prang in the car at the weekend. It was basically my fault as I hit the rear of a car which was stopped at the back of a queue for a vehicle waiting to turn right. I have still not really figured out why this happened as I would normally spot a situation like this a long way ahead, but in this instance by the time I realised there were cars stationary in the road and braked it was too late to stop and I made contact at about 10-15mph.

Luckily everyone was Ok except being a bit shaken up, but the vauxhal corsa I hit was fairly badly damaged and my car has some fromtal damage - it doesn't look that bad but it is more than likely to result in it being written off?

I have has the S320 for about 9 months so far and was really enjoying it! It was in very good condition with a good service history and would have probably gone on for ever. My dilema now is if I should push to get it repaired and possibly buy it back from the insurance if it is written off, or just give up on it provided the insurance offer a reasonable value?

The damage is primarily the front bumper, the grill and the front part of the bonnet. Also the radiator mounts have broken and fan surround is cracked - suprisingly both the radiator and the a/c condenser are both fine and there are no leaks. The car seems to work and drive ok and even all the lights are Ok. In terms of a right-off I think it will all depend on if the bonnet is repaired or replaced as a new bonnet plus respray will be around £1300-1400 just on its own without the rest which is probably around £1500.

My concern is that if it is repaired, what else may have been affected that is not currently obvious? What about things like engine / transmission mounts etc. The impact was not enough to set the airbags off but nonetheless was still not something I hope to repeat!

Part of me says that the car is just too good to right-off and send to the scrapyard, but I am also concerned about how well it will be fixed and if I will always be worrying about it.

Any thoughts or advice gladly received.

Regards,

Dave

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I shouldnt think the insurance company will pay to fix it, bonnet will cost about £1100 plus vat, paintwork will be expensive because the wings and doors will need painting in to get a colour match.

See if the insurance will write it off, you buy it back from them and the cash you get goes towards repairing it.
goto www.w10.co.uk and speak to Carl, he breaks the W140 only and has many parts in stock so fixing it will be the easy bit, paintwork will be the expensive part but still worth fixing.
You could do most of the work yourself too.

jib

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
I shouldnt think the insurance company will pay to fix it, bonnet will cost about £1100 plus vat, paintwork will be expensive because the wings and doors will need painting in to get a colour match.

See if the insurance will write it off, you buy it back from them and the cash you get goes towards repairing it.
goto www.w10.co.uk and speak to Carl, he breaks the W140 only and has many parts in stock so fixing it will be the easy bit, paintwork will be the expensive part but still worth fixing.
You could do most of the work yourself too.

jib

Ouch! Bad Luck about the car.

Carl is a good guy, had a few bits off him myself.

There is a typo in the address - should be www.w140.co.uk

Hope the car gets fixed OK.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom