Acrid smell when aircon switched on

M

MGPAMAN

My 2004 C270 Avangarde Estate has developed an acrid smell which I have traced to the aircon unit. Usually the unit is permanently switched 'on' (I have had the car from new) but I have discovered that the acrid smell stops when the a/c is switched off.

Is this likely to be a gassing problem (lack of pressure causing the clutch to slip) or some other cause?

Thanks in advance

OP
N

npuk

When did you last change the pollen / combination filter?

OP
M

MGPAMAN

Not sure - the car has until its latest service been main dealer serviced though (Hughes,Beaconsfield)

Last edited by a moderator:

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Is the Air-con working ok still?
If not could be a corrosion issue (gas leak). Not harmful but does stink. Acid smell would indicate moisture in the system and still running (but not working).

Of course it could also just be mould / fungal build up on the evaporator. Leave it off for a while and let it dry right out. Keep the fan on low.

If after you test it and find it isnt working, take it for a pressure test and leak check.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom