Ad Blue Tank Problems

J earley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2018 e220
Hi, has anyone experienced problems with their Ad Blue tank in a 2018 E-Class? I own a E220. I have been told that the ad blue tank and motor needs replacing at a cost of €1’700. The garage I brought it from has told me that I only have a 2 year warranty and that Mercedes are refusing to offer any good will in the price. Any suggestions or help, would be much appreciated.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

It's a single unit according to MB so you have to replace the whole thing... :(

Where are you based as 3 year U/L mileage is the UK Warranty. I'd very much argue that it shouldn't have failed on a 2018 car - how many miles has the car covered?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome
sadly you're not the first

OP
J

J earley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2018 e220
Hello and welcome,

It's a single unit according to MB so you have to replace the whole thing... :(

Where are you based as 3 year U/L mileage is the UK Warranty. I'd very much argue that it shouldn't have failed on a 2018 car - how many miles has the car covered?
Hi thanks for your reply, I live in Southern Ireland there is 55,000 miles. I believe we only get 2 year warranty on Mercedes here which is very disappointing.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Hi thanks for your reply, I live in Southern Ireland there is 55,000 miles. I believe we only get 2 year warranty on Mercedes here which is very disappointing.
Two years is the EU standard I'm afraid. At least in the UK you get three years, and that was before Brexit too.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Surprised there is no good will on an 18 plate car with 55k miles I’d certainly want the question answered by MB Ireland, ok there would be some betterment at that mileage but the unit should be built to last at least 100k miles so I would expect a 50% contribution from them

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
Seems to be a common problem I had it too. You should ask your MB dealer to contribute heavily to this.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I have 3 on order for customers, sadly no sign of any turning up soon. :(

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
so what exactly fails? Assuming it's the motor, can't it be repaired or swapped with something similar?

At that kind of money, no wonder people look for Adblue delete options

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Wow, 1700? With no Goodwill? I'm still shocked at the 2-year warranty. I'd push heavy on the dealer about this for a contribution, or ask for a call with MB IRE. They've just granted goodwill on my Air suspension last week 50% for a similar mileage but 2 years older! So there's money in the kitty!

My W213 E220d is currently locked up, on trickle charge until the Mercedes warranty starts in 7 days. I'm not taking any more chances with the reliability of my W213. It must have been built during Oktoberfest in Germany or it loves the workshop. Because it spends enough time in there!

I have calculated how much I've spent on it, and I could've just got a brand-new Mercedes E-class on lease and given it back after 3 years. Mercedes have thrown in some goodwills, but It's always a fight. It's never a gesture or thanks for being a customer. My car has FMBSH and that doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. I'm probably a small percentage that's had a bad experience, but I'm afraid it's put me off ever having an MB again.

Carjack001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220D SE 2018
I bought my 2018 E220D SE from Mercedes in January 2021.
The following day the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue sensor needed calibrated, which they did.
The following day the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue sensor needed replaced, which they did.
Two days later the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue fill level sensor needed replaced, which they did.
Two weeks later the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue pump needed replaced, which they did.
Two days later the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue sensor needed replaced, which they did.
The following day the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue tank needed replaced, which they did.
Picked it up this morning after a week and no light..........yet!!

***Only EML on - no other faults showing such as adblue errors etc, no limp home***

Six times in to the dealer in the six months i've had the car. I've had GLA, CLA, C coupe. EQA and EQC courtesy cars (the electrics are very good. EQC is quick)

Service has been spot on from the dealer.

They said that once it is fixed we can discuss compensation....can't wait :)

Last edited:

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
I bought my 2018 E220D SE from Mercedes in January 2021.
The following day the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue sensor needed calibrated, which they did.
The following day the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue sensor needed replaced, which they did.
Two days later the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue fill level sensor needed replaced, which they did.
Two weeks later the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue pump needed replaced, which they did.
Two days later the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue sensor needed replaced, which they did.
The following day the EML light came on. I booked it into the dealer and they said the adblue tank needed replaced, which they did.
Picked it up this morning after a week and no light..........yet!!

***Only EML on - no other faults showing such as adblue errors etc, no limp home***

Six times in to the dealer in the six months i've had the car. I've had GLA, CLA, C coupe. EQA and EQC courtesy cars (the electrics are very good. EQC is quick)

Service has been spot on from the dealer.

They said that once it is fixed we can discuss compensation....can't wait :)
Imagine how much the car would have cost you if you didn't have warranty ?

Carjack001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220D SE 2018
***UPDATE***

On my way home from work yesterday, after doing just 22 miles, the light came back on.
This time it actually said I had an adblue system fault.

it’s going back in on Monday

the service guy said he hadn’t seen this before as nearly everything from the adblue system has been replaced.

as much as I’m ****ed I’m curious to see what they suggest next

Carjack001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220D SE 2018
Imagine how much the car would have cost you if you didn't have warranty ?
I dread to think. They said the tank was £1000+ and the pump was almost the same plus sensors and labour.

They said it would get a complimentary wash and vacuum when in. I told them it’s not had a chance to get dirty from the last one.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
***UPDATE***

On my way home from work yesterday, after doing just 22 miles, the light came back on.
This time it actually said I had an adblue system fault.

it’s going back in on Monday

the service guy said he hadn’t seen this before as nearly everything from the adblue system has been replaced.

as much as I’m ****ed I’m curious to see what they suggest next
The stock answer from a Mercedes dealership is that they've never seen the issue before... :rolleyes:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom