Adblue problem

TheRealChrisP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS COUPE 250 2017
Car is in at my long time garage, fingers crossed it’s the problem as discussed above. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Mark1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 2015 C180 bluetec 1.6 Diesel
Car is in at my long time garage, fingers crossed it’s the problem as discussed above. I’ll let you know how I get on.
Hopefully that'll fix it...looked it up ..it's called the adblue metering valve. So hopefully it is blocked with calcified adblue and a clean out fixes the issue.

TheRealChrisP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS COUPE 250 2017
So, it was blocked and has now been cleared but unfortunately didn’t clear the fault. There is still an error code relating to the nox sensor. Having to pay Mercedes £200 plus vat for a software update in the hope that it clears the fault but if not, looks like a new nox sensor is required at about £700. Apparently the software update would need doing if I replaced the nox sensor so makes sense to do it first. Fingers crossed.

TheRealChrisP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS COUPE 250 2017
He did say if the update doesn’t work, he could reset the fault and then I could wait and see how long it takes for it to come back on. At least if I do that I’ll have another 500 miles to play with before engine shut off.

TheRealChrisP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS COUPE 250 2017
Well the software update cleared the error message so no more dreaded countdown. Not sure how I feel to be honest, do I have a dodgy nox sensor or not? Am I just waiting for the error message to return? I guess I’ll just enjoy the car and wait and see.

Mark1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd drive it on ... And wait and see... I did get a separate nox related code only last week but nothing has come up re adblue levels etc since January

TheRealChrisP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS COUPE 250 2017
Curiously my stop start has started working again. Perhaps that was a software issue and not a drained battery through lack of use during lockdown as I suspected.

Mark1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Curiously my stop start has started working again. Perhaps that was a software issue and not a drained battery through lack of use during lockdown as I suspected.
That's gas I had something similar ... Although in the main I think it has a separate battery or more of a storage capacity device for stop start. I think the nox sensors in general are a prob with these ... I got a software update before my adblue issue...so I wouldn't be surprised if I get a nox issue again, Mercedes website states they should replace your sensors when they do the update IF necessary...the IF being key word.... but I think the job I had done and you just had done, clearing out the calcified adblue from the metering valve, will sort your adblue issue

Mark1974

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hey another way to look at it is you've possibly just saved 000's on a simple fix ... Definitely a reason for a trip to the pub ...now that they're open ...of course still have to sit outside here in Ireland ...typical

GDS63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
gkc170mhs
Be interested if this happens again. I had a software update, then got an adblue warning, with engine warning light. On holiday in Wales, had to pay for a fix. On the way back from Wales - same problem, and going in to my local MB dealer for another fix. Annoying. Sure it is an MB software/hardware issue...

Fox Barker

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d E Class 2017
Having the same issue with my 2017 220d E Class. Amber engine symbol warning light came up yet car drives perfectly and no other warning message? Rang my two local Mercedes Dealers up but they could not take the car in for a diagnostics check until some date in the future so took it to a local independent Mercedes garage for a diagnostics check. A number of fault code came up all indicating fault with Ad Blue system. After a further investigation, including software upgrade, I am having to now replace the tank and pump unit at a cost of well over £1,000 for parts alone, with a lead time of 5 working days. To say I am a bit livid is quite an understatement. I bought the car as I was led to believe it would be money well invested in terms of comfort and reliability - not so. Have contacted Mercedes customer services who advised that as I didn't take the car into a Mercedes dealership they couldn't consider any part funding of the replacement part. Mercedes must be aware that there is a fault with the AD Blue unit on these cars yet they won't do anything to compensate for it. Will not be replacing this car with another Mercedes, that's for sure. Very disappointed with the car and customer service.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Having the same issue with my 2017 220d E Class. Amber engine symbol warning light came up yet car drives perfectly and no other warning message? Rang my two local Mercedes Dealers up but they could not take the car in for a diagnostics check until some date in the future so took it to a local independent Mercedes garage for a diagnostics check. A number of fault code came up all indicating fault with Ad Blue system. After a further investigation, including software upgrade, I am having to now replace the tank and pump unit at a cost of well over £1,000 for parts alone, with a lead time of 5 working days. To say I am a bit livid is quite an understatement. I bought the car as I was led to believe it would be money well invested in terms of comfort and reliability - not so. Have contacted Mercedes customer services who advised that as I didn't take the car into a Mercedes dealership they couldn't consider any part funding of the replacement part. Mercedes must be aware that there is a fault with the AD Blue unit on these cars yet they won't do anything to compensate for it. Will not be replacing this car with another Mercedes, that's for sure. Very disappointed with the car and customer service.
Hello and welcome,

It’s not just Mercedes that is suffering with emissions equipment related failures in Euro 6 cars… :(
Jumping ship might not be the panacea you’re after. A W213 is a lovely place to be (when it’s working correctly). I’d just want one with manufacturers warrant…

Majesticmacc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2017 1.6
I got a 2017 diesel 1.6 C class today and it came with the engine light and check ad blue message.

After the AA came out and wired it to diagnostics, the errors that came back were ad blue levels and ad blue heating (was 2 degrees!).

He reset the ad blue system, put 10L of ad blue in and the message went and so did the engine light, (the reset was what made the message go not adding it) I drove it 6 miles and turned it on and off 12 times with no return of any messages before accepting it.

It is under warranty for 3 months, but can i expect this issue to return again?

I know the ad blue doesn't affect the engine etc, and I guess if I get a countdown a reset will keep it as bay again, just Interested to know if there is a chance its all good and the light and message may not return, particularly if a software issue like some on here have been mentioning.

Or does anyone have any experience on how long before it returns after you have reset it.

Keen to hear some thoughts and experiences as this is also my first mercedes!

Thanks

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I got a 2017 diesel 1.6 C class today and it came with the engine light and check ad blue message.

After the AA came out and wired it to diagnostics, the errors that came back were ad blue levels and ad blue heating (was 2 degrees!).

He reset the ad blue system, put 10L of ad blue in and the message went and so did the engine light, (the reset was what made the message go not adding it) I drove it 6 miles and turned it on and off 12 times with no return of any messages before accepting it.

It is under warranty for 3 months, but can i expect this issue to return again?

I know the ad blue doesn't affect the engine etc, and I guess if I get a countdown a reset will keep it as bay again, just Interested to know if there is a chance its all good and the light and message may not return, particularly if a software issue like some on here have been mentioning.

Or does anyone have any experience on how long before it returns after you have reset it.

Keen to hear some thoughts and experiences as this is also my first mercedes!

Thanks
Hello and welcome

As all that’s been done is a system reset then I’d say it is highly likely that the engine warning light will come back on.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Did you get it sorted. did you raise your concerns with the dealer and MB UK in writing.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did you get it sorted. did you raise your concerns with the dealer and MB UK in writing.
They came here, registered and posted once, not been back :(

Majesticmacc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2017 1.6
Hello and welcome

As all that’s been done is a system reset then I’d say it is highly likely that the engine warning light will come back on.
OK thank you.

I will wait and see and I would assume it will certainly come back on in 90 days if the errors are still there?

I took comfort from the fact that some on here said when they reset the engine light came back on immediately, so I'm hoping simply a software blip with measuring the ad blue levels and a reset meant it was able to read it and so was satisfied.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK thank you.

I will wait and see and I would assume it will certainly come back on in 90 days if the errors are still there?

I took comfort from the fact that some on here said when they reset the engine light came back on immediately, so I'm hoping simply a software blip with measuring the ad blue levels and a reset meant it was able to read it and so was satisfied.
It would happen randomly on my sons A180d, it went back to Mercedes 5 times and they advised they replaced the dosing system. They didn’t elucidate as to exactly what they replaced. When it’s the owner paying they have advised it’s the pump in the tank that has failed. This pump is only available as part of the tank with a ££££ bill attached :shock:

Majesticmacc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2017 1.6
It would happen randomly on my sons A180d, it went back to Mercedes 5 times and they advised they replaced the dosing system. They didn’t elucidate as to exactly what they replaced. When it’s the owner paying they have advised it’s the pump in the tank that has failed. This pump is only available as part of the tank with a ££££ bill attached :shock:
OK thanks, my warranty is not with Mercedes but ad blue issues nox values etc are covered.

If its clear after time that even Mercedes can't sort it or that it's not a serious problem, does a reset always remove the messaging of a countdown until it won't turn on?

And can the reset be done by anyone I.e the owner?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK thanks, my warranty is not with Mercedes but ad blue issues nox values etc are covered.

If its clear after time that even Mercedes can't sort it or that it's not a serious problem, does a reset always remove the messaging of a countdown until it won't turn on?

And can the reset be done by anyone I.e the owner?
Resets tend to work until something actually breaks or stops working. With a good enough code reader (usually Mercedes specific) an owner can reset stored codes.
You normally get a yellow EML and a 500 mile count down. After that it won’t start

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom