AdBlue warning light/reset fault W166

Adio25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 AMG Bluetec/2014/2.1
Hi All,

My first post here so please bear with me. Purchased a 2014 ML250 Bluetec recently.

The check AdBlue warning and engine light came on and I filled tank up with 12 litres of AdBlue. Have driven car over 300miles and lights are still appearing. Have 100 miles remaining on count down.

Scanned car using MBII and get two fault codes:

P13e400
P2badfb

Both in relation to AdBlue/def system from my searches on google.
Does anyone know exactly what components fault codes are referring to?

Tried deleting fault codes but they just reappear again.

Have been in contact with Mercedes who have said they don’t know what the above fault codes are and that I probably need a nox sensor replacing but want £90 to do their own diagnostics before anything else.

AdBlue refill was previously completed by Mercedes May 2017 and since then car has covered 5k miles only. So I wouldn’t have expected it to require topping up already.

Any advice is welcomed

OP
A

Adio25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks.

Checked the AdBlue full level in the service menu and it states full. So it’s not the AdBlue tank sensor.

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
I had this happen on my W221 and had to have the Adblue heater and pump replaced. Fortunately for me, it was under warrantee.

OP
A

Adio25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Found the generic coding in relation to my codes:
P2BAD (AdBlue/DEF system and listed many different causes) and P13E4(Cylinder 5, sensor)

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Thanks.

Checked the AdBlue full level in the service menu and it states full. So it’s not the AdBlue tank sensor.

Mine had a full tank of AdBlue but the sensor had to be told it was full before it could calibrate what remains if that makes sense?

Robin

OP
A

Adio25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Both Nox sensors at fault and replaced by Mercedes under warranty.

Benton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 E320 CDI
Has anyone ever done the Adblue bypass. I'm having issues with the Adblue. It has been topped off, but I'm still receiving the notification to check the system at start up, and the check engine light is on, and I have a limited amount of starts left. I scanned and got codes suggesting the heating element, but that is gone now, and I don't read any code faults, yet the check engine light remains on. The cost of the bypass is way less than replacing components, and i am exempt from emissions where I live, so...would like to learn more about the bypass if anyone can help?

jjp35

Reaction score
Mine had a full tank of AdBlue but the sensor had to be told it was full before it could calibrate what remains if that makes sense?

Robin

Hi Robin, How did you reset the sensor?

I have similar problem

On my 2012 ML250, I had Refill Ad Blue alert, filled tank with 20 litre Adblue then the " No Engine start XXX miles" sign came up. EML light is on.

The Diagnosis with icarsoft MB V2.0 shows,

Current Fault code P13E400 -Remaining Driving distance limited due to Malfunction in Adblue system"

Any idea what this could be ?

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
Hi Robin, How did you reset the sensor?

I have similar problem

On my 2012 ML250, I had Refill Ad Blue alert, filled tank with 20 litre Adblue then the " No Engine start XXX miles" sign came up. EML light is on.

The Diagnosis with icarsoft MB V2.0 shows,

Current Fault code P13E400 -Remaining Driving distance limited due to Malfunction in Adblue system"

Any idea what this could be ?

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
I had the same problem on my 220glc 2weeks ago mb said it was the ad blue injector was the problem I don't know what the cure was as I was away on holiday so waiting to get conformation on the problem I will post back when I here from them

jjp35

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 220glc 2weeks ago mb said it was the ad blue injector was the problem I don't know what the cure was as I was away on holiday so waiting to get conformation on the problem I will post back when I here from them
Thanks, please let me know. It would be helpful.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
There are problems with Adblue heater elements across the range and plenty of TIPs documents on the subject too.

Most of the time it just requires a software update to the SCR system.

dave@kent

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML W166
There are problems with Adblue heater elements across the range and plenty of TIPs documents on the subject too.

Most of the time it just requires a software update to the SCR system.

Hi

How can I check whether the current software installed on car needs updating or not?
Does software update has to be done by MB dealer?
Thanks

Last edited:

Reaction score
I had the same problem and codes. Which turned out to be a blocked AdBlue injector. The main problem is resetting the codes I have a Autel 808 pro diagnostic tool and will not reset the codes. I had to go to someone that had a Xentry computer to reset the codes after cleaning the injector.
Tom

jjp35

Reaction score
Software Update at Mercedes Dealer sorted out the problem.

Thank you everyone for the advise and input.

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
Hi All,

My first post here so please bear with me. Purchased a 2014 ML250 Bluetec recently.

The check AdBlue warning and engine light came on and I filled tank up with 12 litres of AdBlue. Have driven car over 300miles and lights are still appearing. Have 100 miles remaining on count down.

Scanned car using MBII and get two fault codes:

P13e400
P2badfb

Both in relation to AdBlue/def system from my searches on google.
Does anyone know exactly what components fault codes are referring to?

Tried deleting fault codes but they just reappear again.

Have been in contact with Mercedes who have said they don’t know what the above fault codes are and that I probably need a nox sensor replacing but want £90 to do their own diagnostics before anything else.

AdBlue refill was previously completed by Mercedes May 2017 and since then car has covered 5k miles only. So I wouldn’t have expected it to require topping up already.

Any advice is welcomed

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
hi adio25 hope you have managed to get your motor sorted ihad the same problem and it was the ad blue injector that was the problem they cleaned it out and no more issues the adblue cristalises and blocks the injector a lot of plant hire companies are having the same problems with it hope this helps you

Mark Cairns

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 2015
Hi Guys. I've had this warning problem too. The Adblue tank is full but the warning comes on and says I have 497 miles left until the engine will not start. This then counts down as I drive. I get this reset by the garage but it comes back on again after about 20 miles. As a workaround I was going to buy one of those digital monitors and try to reset it myself. Can anyone recommend one that works well with an E-Class and allows you to delete and reset notifications?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom