Adding Aux in via TV Tuner

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 (R230) & CLK350 (W209)
4DFB9A6CDBF94DBC88BC1E60143373D6.gif

Not sure what versions of Comand this is for though.
This is not for the later version of NTG1 fitted to the R230 SL and may also not be for the earlier head unit either.
The later NTG1 has only 3 wires (+ MOST) to the rear connector. They are 0v to pin 1; circuit 30 permanent 12v to pin 2 and the wakeup signal to pin 5. There is no chance of fitting an aux audio input there.
I have no experience of the wiring to other NTG1 units fitted to other MB cars.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
You might be able to get audio out, but you would lose the display.

also possible (for possible read likely) that COMAND head unit would complain at the lack of Video in with TV/AV1 selected (video goes to the Display over MOST) and not allow the AGW to output any sound at all.

I suppose, if push came to shove you could intercept the audio in the AGW at the pre-amp stage & switch it to your own input. The problem is the lack of AGW circuit information and the cost of cocking it up.

Why not use an FM re-broadcaster to a spare FM channel - not perfect, but maybe a workable solution

Hmm, not as simple as I thought then. I was sure that I was told it was possible to use the spare connections on the analogue tv tuner to connect up to the Aux 1 on the head unit and transmit sound.

I used a FM re-broadcast things years ago and could never really find a decent spare frequency, or not one that I didn't have to re-tune quite often.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Just had another look at the car and the Aux 1 & Aux 2 options come up when you press Audio and not when you press Video.

Leads me to believe that the head unit will be looking for (and therefore should accept) an audio only signal.

Pressing video just produces a blank screen as there isn't a signal anymore.

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had another look at the car and the Aux 1 & Aux 2 options come up when you press Audio and not when you press Video.

Leads me to believe that the head unit will be looking for (and therefore should accept) an audio only signal.

Pressing video just produces a blank screen as there isn't a signal anymore.

Then no harm in giving it a go.
Do you have a manual for COMAND? Does it say anything? Can you download one?

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Then no harm in giving it a go.
Do you have a manual for COMAND? Does it say anything? Can you download one?

Good idea. So, the manual says this:

"Two external audio sources can be connected to the Comand APS (Aux 1 and Aux 2). The connections are at the TV Tuner in the boot of the car.

Press the Aux 1 or Aux 2 softkey. The Aux menu is displayed. The external audio source is played back if it is connected..."

There are similar instructions in the Video section as well - as in you can connect video sources to the TV Tuner. It actually says "Two external video sources with video and audio signals can be connected to the TV receiver (video Aux 1 and video Aux 2).

From reading this and the points above, I think if you access or select Aux 1 from the Audio menu it will accept just an audio signal, whereas if you select Aux 1 from the Video menu, it will expect an audio and video signal.

Thanks

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good idea. So, the manual says this:

"Two external audio sources can be connected to the Comand APS (Aux 1 and Aux 2). The connections are at the TV Tuner in the boot of the car.

Press the Aux 1 or Aux 2 softkey. The Aux menu is displayed. The external audio source is played back if it is connected..."

There are similar instructions in the Video section as well - as in you can connect video sources to the TV Tuner. It actually says "Two external video sources with video and audio signals can be connected to the TV receiver (video Aux 1 and video Aux 2).

From reading this and the points above, I think if you access or select Aux 1 from the Audio menu it will accept just an audio signal, whereas if you select Aux 1 from the Video menu, it will expect an audio and video signal.

Thanks

so maybe a case of RTFM?
seriously this looks to be exactly what you are aiming for.
please keep us posted on the outcome

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
so maybe a case of RTFM?
seriously this looks to be exactly what you are aiming for.
please keep us posted on the outcome

Yes, there may have been some of that going on!
Just waiting for this weather to clear up and I'll book it in to get done.
Will keep you posted for sure.
Cheers

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!

Thanks. Confirms what I thought after the input on this thread. Good of you to post the link.

My plan at the moment is to see if I can get a 3.5mm socket fitted into the ashtray, running from the TV tuner. That will allow me to simply plug something in and leave it on the seat next to me. If someone else is in the car (think kids, or one of them anyway) then they can plug their phone etc. in without having to have the glovebox or the centre consul open or the cable trapped. Will also allow me to use the lighter socket to provide some charge if needed.

Now that the snow has gone I can try and book it in.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
4DFB9A6CDBF94DBC88BC1E60143373D6.gif

Not sure what versions of Comand this is for though.
This is for comand 2 (Not NTG1 or NTG2 etc)

The reason you have no speaker wires in the B connector is because you have Bose. The sound is routed to the Bose amp over fibre and then it is distributted out to the speakers from there.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Update to this thread.

I ended up getting this done and thought I'd share what I had done and what I found.

I decided to take advantage of the fact that there are 2 aux in connections on the TV tuner and had planned to have an aux socket in the dash somewhere or in the ashtray and an additional one in the centre armrest to give a bit of flexibility.

When I went to get it all fitted, the guys recommended a bluetooth connection instead of the aux socket in the dash/centre console - partly because it would be quicker and also because it would mean no visible changes.

So, I went for that and also got them to run an aux cable from the TV tuner into the centre console as the car was already open and it was just the additional cost of a cable.

So I now have 2 aux-in connections - one bluetooth and one cable. The bluetooth is paired to my phone and works really well - lovely and clear. The cable connection is used for an old iPod or if anyone else is in the car and wants to use their phone (kids etc.) and again sounds good, though less powerful/needs to be turned up a bit.

After all the help and opinions on this thread, I'm pretty happy with the result.

H22221

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CL500
I know this is 12 years old....but was it as simple as plugging in an RCA to aux cable into the back of the TV tuner and then selecting AUX1 or 2?

Thanks

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom