Adding DAB or a aux/ video input to a 221/216

Multimax

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
I have just bought a Mercedes CL500 W216 from 2011.
I currently only have an USB Port in the glove box, which is not very useful. I would like a simple AUX Input.

Can someone tell me what I need to buy and if the instructions here are the right ones?
Do I just need an adapter cable or do I need additional electronic components?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I have just bought a Mercedes CL500 W216 from 2011.
I currently only have an USB Port in the glove box, which is not very useful. I would like a simple AUX Input.

QUOTE]

if you have USB then you are in a great place, you just need the std merc USB interface cables. a 3.5mm jack is rubbish but if u want they do that as well, what you have can do so much more

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just get the AUX lead from MB, it cost £30 and comes with instructions.

It will need STAR to activate it.

Multimax

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Thank you everyone. I first got an AUX cable for connecting to the rear of the Command Unit, but was then told it's hard to get to this place in order to connect it.

I then was sold a "Mercedes Special Port" to Apple Adapter at Mercedes, which worked, but only with the iPod Nano. It did not work - despite the right connector with a iPod Touch or iPhone with the corrent iOS :(

Since this is not what I wanted, i now ordered on eBay this cable:
max-mercedes-3.jpg

(MMI AMI 3,5mm Klinken AUX Adapter Kabel Mercedes Interface C E S-Klasse Comand)

and I hope will work :?

I have these two sockets in the glove compartment:

max-mercedes-1.jpg

max-mercedes-2.jpg

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
first picture is the apple old 30 pin connector, which you now have a 3.5mm audio only cable for ? so no navigation of the device and no charging using that cable?

I don't know (as I only have apple connected to ipod), but the USB socket will do navigation and charging of suitable devices or will allow any old USB stick to work in similar way to an ipod (assuming you have media in a files system it understands and you allow it index what's there)

assuming there's no inbuild media wireless streaming, you can add something like this

http://www.viseeo.com/ugC_ShowroomI...3&hidShowTypeID=0&hidShowCatID=0&hidShowID=22

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Multimax what phone do you have ?

If you don't use apple then I don't think you should try to connect anything via this socket (although your 3.5mm cable may do audio for any device with head phone socket).

max-mercedes-1.jpg

For all other makes of phone / devices use the USB connector only.

For apple issue you have, does this help?

A number of the earlier iPhones and iPod's up to and including iPhone 4S should plug via its own 30 pin apple socket to the Mercedes Apple connector (your photo above) using the proprietary Merc lead that came with the car (as part of the media interface kit the car had as an option). The 30 pin connector, (see left of photo below) should offer full device navigation, charging and display on the comand screen the track / artist info

lightning_vs_30-pin_cable_side.jpg

If you have a iphone 5 or later using the small lightening connection (see right of photo above) then this maybe why you are not getting all the features you expect.

did you try / do you have one of these? a later cable not part of the original cables set (don't just go with that part number, double check its the lead to go from a 5 or later into the merc to apple port on your car

mbcable.jpg

the one caveat, is if you have NTG3 head unit, they use different digital signal to nearly everything else and lightening connection may not work (and also a reason you can't get any third party kit for these cars. e.g. dension etc.) if you have NTG 3.5 I'd expect full functionality

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I don't believe NTG3 had that media interface just the earlier apple 30 pin as an option.

If lightening and older Merc media interface do not agree with each other, one gamble you could try is a BMW Y cable (although these have morphed for lightening in to an X cable with two 3.5 mm jacks with the extra one for the phones head phone socket !!!) BMW always took digital signal from the device and pushed it to the car using 3.5mm analogue, with charging / navigation of apple (or others) via USB. Which by the way is how ford does it but the BMW cable and the Ford ones are NOT compatible.

516DVBtk0PL._SX425_.jpg

Multimax

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
I now have three cables in total, trying to connect an iPhone 6S to the car:

1) Mercedes Proprietary Connector ==> Lightning Port
- doesn't work at all, iPhone 6 says it's not a supported device

2) Mercedes Proprietary Connector ==> 30 Pin Port + Adapter to Lightning
- this seems to work at least to some degree, have to do further testing

3) Mercedes Proprietary Connector ==> Aux In
max-mercedes-4.jpg

- this is not recognized as an input by the car. Car says "Kein Gerät angeschlossen = No device connected":

max-mercedes-5.jpg

and when I try to manually select an Input in the menu above it doesn't help either.

I'm still not really sure what version of NTG i have (is there an idiot proof way to know which one I have?). I'm pretty sure that I have the media interface since the menu says so.

@Botus
Thank you for the link. This looks very interesting, I have ordered the ViseeO Tune2Air WMA3000A and will try if this helps.

Last edited:
OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With all these devices you have to put the car on STAR to activate them. As Botus said you have the 3

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
With all these devices you have to put the car on STAR to activate them. As Botus said you have the 3

No I think he has 3.5

mine is the early one NTG 3 (2006 to 2008) and has only 5 digit postcode (4 in most cases) and the ONLY Merc AUX input is the (rare for this car) ipod interface kit.

the 2009 facelift gave NTG 3.5, does 7 (they mean 8) digit postcodes, supports split view front screen (passenger can watch TV on the move I believe) and can has (I think it's Std fit) Media interface plus USB connection in the glove box.

I guess either:

1) the car can't do lightening connection
2) dealer software update can bring normal functionality via digital lightning signal

I hope tune to air works !!!

NTG 3 (and I guess NTG3.5) works on a different std to ALL other Merc Audio systems. I tried two different Mercedes inline amps (that boosts the weak apple signal, making your ipod too quiet), neither produce any noise on the NTG 3 system. I suspect the S class one is using digital and the others use analogue. But then that's goes against why lightning doesn't work ???

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I want to fit a USB to mine, but not listed, I do not know if my WIS is too old.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
should go on a sticky somewhere

I came across this in post on another forum...

http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/us/en/

if you are 2009/10 to 2013 Merc Comand NTG3.5 for an iPhone 5 64GB SW 6.0.2 you need....
B6 7824578 An Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter is needed to connect this device. We recommend to use original Apple adapters.

(in which case I suspect with the right adaptor the tune to air should do the job)

above info from http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/us/en/w221:MY_2010-2013/compare/~ipod

Below refers to similar issue on newish E class... "You will need to use the original cable A0018278504 plus the pin adapter for the iphone 5. Incidentally, they don't list the cable A0038270904 you bought under the 2013 compatibility chart either. Perhaps this is because the iphone 5 adapter is rather new and the 30 pin with adapter still works.

I ran into this "Incompatible Device" error after purchasing the media interface cable off of Ebay (car didn't come with one). Seller said it was for my2011 which is what I needed, but the model number A0028272704 they sent me was for my2013. The aux input worked, but the ipod connector did not. Seller is sending correct model A0018278504 (works on 2010-2012). "

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
just for interest, its not good when messages come up in the wrong language,
I'd argue that should be a free software update to put it back to the spec of the car you bought
(if indeed it was spec'd / bought with option 537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND)

next to MP3 where it says "Speicherkarte" that's a fault it should say "Memory Card"

and as you already point out "Kein Gerät angeschlossen" is another fault and should display "No device connected"

Last edited:

Exfleet

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Blueefficiency Estate Auto
Hi Malcolm, Alan here - you kindly came to look at the S Class a while back for Raymond Wilkinson. I hope you are well....just had a quick question for you: I have a 2012 SLK 250 CDi with what I hope is a minor problem - the internal heater blowers - they work fine and the a/c seems okay, but there's no heat (stuck on cold, even when you turn up the heat setting to max)....any suggestions? Kind regards, Alan

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Alan, I do not know much about these, but it looks as though it uses the same principle as the 203, that is a heater box that uses electric motors to control blending air flaps, but one for each side of the car. One thing is that the engine must be getting up to the 90ºC mark, if it is only going up to the 60ºC mark it will feel cold. There is a circulation pump for this heater, that could have failed, and common to both side of the car.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom