Adjusting Headlamps for Driving in Europe

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 w210 E240 91k (Nov13)
However, nowadays I prefer to be enjoying the delights of French hotels and their food during the hours of darkness rather than driving anywhere.

What delectable past-times. In my case the sittings always overrun and then I am forced (all sympathy gratefully appreciated) to edge the car just that little bit past the speed limit (130KMpH which, at 1.3km per mile, would be 100MPH) to make the ferry.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
I always thought one advantage of HIDs is that they are anti-glare and hence no need to adjust for the Continent.

I go into France quite often. I've never been stopped for the lights either on the motorways or in a city.

I carry the spare bulb set, emergency jacket, etc because I think not having these could get you into trouble if there was a breakdown or if you were stopped for something else such as speeding.
Has anyone actually been caught for lack of stickers on their HIDs?
. . . . / / . . . .

What delectable past-times. In my case the sittings always overrun and then I am forced (all sympathy gratefully appreciated) to edge the car just that little bit past the speed limit (130KMpH which, at 1.3km per mile, would be 100MPH) to make the ferry.

Sorry BachelorDays, but wrong on both counts. :rolleyes:

1. All lights need setting or masking when you change driving side (unless your lights are already symmetric, which I doubt).

2. 130 km/H = 81 MPH, so if you're beetling along at 100 MPH, then sooner or later the gendarmes will be talking to you. :D

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
81MPH

Oops! There go all my calculations. Here I am, merrily going along at speed limit + 20% for a respectable cruising speed of 120..

So that means those tin contraptions peeping above the central reservation, flashing you blind as you go past them, are speed cameras? I did wonder about them.

Driving on the [STRIKE]wrong[/STRIKE] other side of the road, cameras pointing the other way, lights needing to point the other way.. Rappel on, I suppose.

deeangeo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI & SLK 320
CLS320 CDI (2005 - 2006) Adjustment for Europe RHD

My car doesn't have xenons - so how do I adjust headlamp dip beam for RHD driving in Europe please?
Cheers, G

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
With just normal halogen the sticky tape is the only option

deeangeo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI & SLK 320
With just normal halogen the sticky tape is the only option

That's a bummer then.....where on earth does the sticky tape go? :confused:
Somewhere on the outside plastic lamp housing I presume?
Doesn't seem very 21st century or 'user friendly' from Merc. :shock:
I appreciate the prompt reply though, thankyou.
Cheers, G

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can get the strips in Halfords or the RAC, AA they have the instruction of where to fit them, many just do not bother at all with anything

deeangeo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI & SLK 320
You can get the strips in Halfords or the RAC, AA they have the instruction of where to fit them, many just do not bother at all with anything

You can't really blame people for that...it just seems so 'hit & miss'!
In view of which, I'll not bother either & just take a roll of tape with me.;) :rolleyes:
Cheers, G

tonyspicer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 CLK 350 Cabrio Elegance
My local MB dealer tells me that the W209 Bi-xenon headlights can be changed from right to left hand dipping via the computer.

Is this correct??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My local MB dealer tells me that the W209 Bi-xenon headlights can be changed from right to left hand dipping via the computer.

Is this correct??

Yes this could be correct and I have to do my CL on STAR, any indie can do this but hardly worth bothering with to be truthful if you do not use the main beam

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... if you do not use the main beam

:confused::confused: Never had any dealings with bi-xenons, but the idea behind European & UK beam patterns is to get rid of the upward deflection to the left of the UK dipped beam light pattern so you don't blind Pierre or Herman :confused:

tonyspicer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 CLK 350 Cabrio Elegance
Television, thanks for the advice...unfortunately they are LHD supposedly dipping right at present and to get through the MOT they will need to be definitely complying with UK RHD left dipping, I suspect. Will probably be using car on continent after UK registration so will not worry after MOT.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One snag is that on these lamps the beam is not converted from one side of the road to the other, it only brings down a cover that cuts off the high point of the beam, you will have to change your headlamps over I feel to get the car passed

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Is there no other way because changing headlights sounds awfully expensive !!!

How long will you be driving in UK? If for a short time, you should be able to adjust your lights so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic (set them to a symmetric beam).

However, if you intend to stay for longer (not sure, greater that 12 months ?) then I believe that the MOT require you to have dedicated left-hand traffic lights. IF you are going to register and tax the car in the UK, then this is IMO certainly the case.

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Check this out too.. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

Sounds to me the 'left-pointing' isn't a requirement, the issue is the 'right-dazzle'. I'd ask the MOT guy about it before committing to the test. I don't think many will give you grief if the stickers have been used.

Of course, you could get the beams set straight and without any deviation (not sure if that can be done on your beams directly or via STAR). But then you loose the ability to really map the jagged edges of winding B-roads late at night in both LHD and RHD conditions.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Check this out too.. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

Sounds to me the 'left-pointing' isn't a requirement, the issue is the 'right-dazzle'. I'd ask the MOT guy about it before committing to the test. I don't think many will give you grief if the stickers have been used.

Of course, you could get the beams set straight and without any deviation (not sure if that can be done on your beams directly or via STAR). But then you loose the ability to really map the jagged edges of winding B-roads late at night in both LHD and RHD conditions.

You cannot do this for both beams

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BachelorDays means that you just need a flat (symmetrical) beam and that will be suitable for both sides of the road. ;)

Symmetrical is the word!

I know I need to brush up on these things, but are high beams also that skewed towards the nearside? I thought they were supposed to be pretty symmetrical in the first place.

chats102

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E/2013/220CDI
So i spent ages looking online & re-reading the one paragraph in the handbook trying to work out what I needed to do for a 2013 facelift E-Class to drive in Europe.

The answer is ... nothing! After admitting defeat I rang MB customer services who informed me that my car has static LEDs as standard (standard SE trim, no light pack) for dipped headlights - main beam is halogen. The light pattern conforms to continental and UK standards.

This isn't clear from any where i can see (MB website spec list for car, brochure, handbook, websites). .The handbook itself says you need to adjust...unless you have static LEDs - but doesn't specify what is standard on what model.

Great news as no fiddling with the lights to try and feel for a switch & no silly stickers on the front either!

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom