Adjusting intelligent LED light system

migdsb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E300 Hybrid
I own a 2014 E300 Hybrid equipped with the so called intelligent LED light system that follows the road when cornering. Unfortunately there is a dim patch on the right-hand side when on low beams about 5-10 meters out in front, which I find slightly impedes visibility.

My question is, since these are electronically controlled mechanical lights I assume they are also self-adjustable; however, is it possible to somehow tweak them such that the dim patch can be resolved? It feels as if it's a small matter of moving part of the multibeams on the right-hand side a bit to the left. I don't think the bulbs need replacing but I'm willing to consider they might -- how could I test this? The light output in high beam mode is flawless though.

On a slightly unrelated note, the lights can be configured for right or left-hand side drive. What should I pick if the steering wheel is on the left? I went with right-hand side drive since I assumed it refers to the side one faces incoming traffic. Changing this setting does not affect the dim patch in the slightest.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
There are no bulbs to start with. These are electromechanical semi matrix LED arrays.

There is no adjustment possible that you can do. The lamps can be calibrated (Star or Xentry) but this needs a target wall with beam pattern definition.

I don’t know what the dark spot is that you refer to. It may be the dogleg for U.K. driving puts a brighter patch on the left side which could make the right side proportionally dimmer.

OP
M

migdsb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E300 Hybrid
First off, thanks a lot for your help Craiglxviii!

I was finally able to snap a picture of the dark spot I mentioned in my OP. See here: https://imgur.com/a/outC9GQ (steering wheel is on the left)

Is the dark spot that can be seen in the picture normal? I would have thought that the beam on the right-hand side would extend further out than the one on the left. What do you think?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That looks like the auto full beam system where the light wraps around the car in front , except there is no car there ( if that makes sense)

OP
M

migdsb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E300 Hybrid
Yes, makes perfect sense, John. I just hoped there was something that could be done without having to contact my local dealer, book a slot, which will mean being without my car for who knows how long...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That looks like the auto full beam system where the light wraps around the car in front , except there is no car there ( if that makes sense)
^^^This. That’s just what it looks like to me too. The system needs recalibrating and that can only be done in a stealers.

OP
M

migdsb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E300 Hybrid
haha -- how much are the stealers likely to pick my pocket for a fix? Also, if I bought the car from an official Merc dealer early this year and it's still under warranty, are they likely to charge me?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
haha -- how much are the stealers likely to pick my pocket for a fix? Also, if I bought the car from an official Merc dealer early this year and it's still under warranty, are they likely to charge me?
Nope it’s a warranty repair.

OP
M

migdsb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E300 Hybrid
Thanks for your input, everyone! Much appreciated.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom